'He's great to work with, he'll take care of it'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Peter has interestedly pointed out that irish whistle market is quite different. I haven´t been in Ireland for so long - but with so many "high end whistles" around here, in Europe, I was quite surprised that many players played good old Generations. From typical "high end" whistles, I´ve been able to recognise Sindts and Overtons, but they were hardly the majority. I asked some whistle players about that, and they weren´t really aware of other brands of whistles - they were happy with those they owned, so why would they change it?
I wouldn't say the top players here are unaware of the alternatives, they aren't. But why fix it if it's isn't broken? A lot of the Sindts are in the hands of young players who try to get ahead in competitions, there's a strong influence there.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Aha...Yes, Sindts are favourite - I believe even Paddy Moloney plays them (he´s not really young :-)).

I agree - why fix it when it´s not broken? Metaphorically, I live this way and I struggle a lot with it, because most people around me are "WOW, SOMETHING NEW" and it annoys the crap out of me :-)
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Just a question. Is this thread now on topic, or off?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think the initial topic has run it's course, we'll let it drift to see where it goes.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:Image

I think the initial topic has run it's course, we'll let it drift to see where it goes.
Well, I think this is a very interesting discussion. The direction it's taken is related to the original topic, I would say, and it isn't a direction we've already worked over a lot.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:Image

Well, I think this is a very interesting discussion. The direction it's taken is related to the original topic, I would say, and it isn't a direction we've already worked over a lot.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I agree, yet I agree it went slightly off topic. Maybe the mods could split it up? This is one of few whistle brand discussion, which hasn´t become "cheapies/high-end" flame.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Slightly off topic but yeah I saw Mery Bergin playing in sessions a few evenings last week and she was playing her Sindt. I'll be 'bold' a bit and say that Sindt is the only high end whistle really worth it.

The 'tweaked' O'Brien is still my favorite, but I have to admit for louder sessions I still play my Burke alluminium narrow bore, when I feel like playing a 'louder' session, which is not often.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Azalin wrote: I'll be 'bold' a bit and say that Sindt is the only high end whistle really worth it.
Slippery slope, that.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Loren wrote:Already we have long time established makers who are stuggling with decreased demand due largely to the huge increase of makers in the market place in recent years. Other established makers are hanging on to their market share by holding the line on prices even though their expenses are constantly rising.
I've never heard this. Can you elaborate?

Best wishes,
Jerry

No, I really can't because these makers have said things to me in confidence, so it's not really fair for me to go naming names. Also, I want to be clear that my comment quoted above is general, and not meant specifically towards only the makers of wooden whistles.

That said, some of what I suggest can be seen just by looking closely at what is openly visible in the market place: Waiting lists shorter for a number of makers (as Peter mentioned), makers concentrating more on other instruments (pipes, flutes, etc.) as opposed to whistle production, makers getting out of the business or going into "semi-retirement", etc.

Also look at pricing: Makers who routinely raised prices fairly often over time have much more been holding back on price increases - And who can argue that the cost of making quality whistles hasn't increased?

Inside information aside, the evidence is out there, if we look.

Loren
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Slightly off topic but yeah I saw Mery Bergin playing in sessions a few evenings last week and she was playing her Sindt.
Left the good whistles at home has she? Image

But foolishness aside, Sindt type whistles (and I say 'type' because I am still very pleased with the Humphrey I have that is more or less a member of the same family) pretty much cover all my designer whistle needs although possibly they're not quite the final word in whistle making yet.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Peter Laban wrote:
Slightly off topic but yeah I saw Mery Bergin playing in sessions a few evenings last week and she was playing her Sindt.
Left the good whistles at home has she? Image
John Sindt is a friend and loyal supporter of hers and was present at ED as usual. It's reasonable to assume that she'd play his whistles during that week even if she had a couple of others she liked as well or better.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Peter Laban wrote: But foolishness aside, Sindt type whistles (and I say 'type' because I am still very pleased with the Humphrey I have that is more or less a member of the same family) pretty much cover all my designer whistle needs although possibly they're not quite the final word in whistle making yet.
Yeah, in fairness, when I say the Sindt is the only high end worth it, I mean Sindt and equivalent whistles, in term of playing and price. I really like the Humphrey, too, I think it's pretty close to the Sindt.

Strangely, there's no 200-300$ whistle I wish I owned.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

StevieJ wrote: John Sindt is a friend and loyal supporter of hers and was present at ED as usual. It's reasonable to assume that she'd play his whistles during that week even if she had a couple of others she liked as well or better.
I'm not convinced it's because he was around. The Sindt is a bit louder than your typical Generation, and when she plays with other people she might want a bit of extra volume, especially when unplugged.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was, ofcourse, only joking but it seems reasonable to assume it was a bit of all three plus adapting to the expectation of the audience. The whole discussion of what she really plays is silly to begin with but always good for a bit of poking and prodding. At the Willie week Brid Donohue, Geraldine Cotter and Gavin Whelan all played Sindts during the whistle concert this year. And they all played their c nats in tune without half holing, fancy that now ;-)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Peter Laban wrote:And they all played their c nats in tune without half holing, fancy that now ;-)
:boggle: