Vacation... Vacation... anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
atarango
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by atarango »

So I was just curious-
who all is going away this Christmas? A fun vacation? Visiting family who are far away?

Mine is only three days away- soon I get to leave the cold of Boston (although I don't get to leave my schoolwork behind, we have finals after break) and go home to warm, sunny Los Angeles, California.... whistles, and stacks of Puritan sermons which i have to write a paper about in tow....

Anyway just wondering if there are any other fellow chiffys out there who will be a-travelling soon..

-Angela
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Vacation? We don't need no steenkin vacation. I have the 25th off. The end. I come directly from work to my in-laws' house for dinner on the 24th. They're going to hold off eating until I arrive. If I'm late, all bets are off. I probably won't get any whistle practice in that day. What humbug. Same thing happens with New Years, :smile:

There's my whine. Do I feel better? No, not really. (But, you go ahead and have a wonderful time. I'll think about you while I'm at work. :smile: )
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2002-12-15 18:18 ]</font>
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I'm staying put.

This is my "darling daufter"'s first Christmas after college and she and her sweetie are in San Jose. I'll probably afflict her with my presence in the spring. They might have furniture by then. :smile:

My guitar-playing friend is probably spending Christmas with his mom. She's 95-something, healthy and active, living in her own apartment in an assisted living community. They all seem to be members of the Society of Friends (Quakers) there, which makes it a bit more interesting to an outsider like me. They even have a Scottish dance group! (Granted, they don't move very fast, but they do move.)

I've just gotten an invitation to Christmas dinner from my favorite neighbor. She has macular degeneration so I'll drive us up to her son's house at the top end of the county.

Other than that, it's me and the cats. The rest of my family is in the Deep South (Alabama, Georgia, north Florida) and I'll probably see them in April.

Safe travel!
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'm going home for Christmas (Seattle) on the 19th, and then I am going home for after Christmas (27th ish) to SLC/Wyoming to session with most of the folks from the Rocky Mountain Boys. Then I go back home to Seattle, and then back home to New York after the new year.

I find it's much easier to classify EVERYTHING as home.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Vacation??? Mine is currently a 10' deep trench in my backyard where they are replacing my sewer line from the house to the city sewer & just discovered my neighbor's sewer line runs into my backyard and uses my sewer pipe (this is currently illegal, but was legal back when the house was built in 1940). My neighbor is adamantly saying the contractor has to pay to repair their line, the contractor is saying the neighbor is responsible since it's his sewer line which is currently in violation of current code, and I'm stuck in a deadlock with my backyard destroyed to the tune of $3,000 to $6,000 dollars (depending on whether or not they have to dig up my basement, which includes removing the downstairs bathroom, to reconect to my main drain pipe which was not in good shape).

My life really sucks right now...

Plus, there is no way I'll get another whistle or flute in the long term future! Sorry for this whiny message.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Jayhawk--maybe you can think of it this way: it's good copy.

If you can't do "Sewergate," maybe you can give it a comedic treatment, a la Dave Barry.

Anyway, I'D be interested in hearing about how it all turns out!

Good luck!
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hey, I have to work xmas day. . .now THAT isn't the way I want to spend a holiday, but someone's gotta mind the computers, I suppose.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

My husband and I and our three kids are driving to Arizona (12 hour drive) for two weddings and Christmas. I hope the long drive with the kids will be survivable! My husband borrowed a laptop from someone so we can let them watch DVDs on it and play computer games.

Anyway, it'll be nice to get away and have a break, however stressful the drive. And rest assured, I will be taking along (in a place of honor :smile: ) my two lovely big packages from a certain Whistle Shop...
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I will be in the barn probably getting poop on my shoes and who knows where else as I milk 110 cows twice that day in the stinking freezing cold.

But.....

I hope to spend some of the day choosing between playing either my new Seagull guitar I am getting for christmas or my new Serpent Whistle I won today from Bill's contest.

I wish you all safe trip and a Merry Christmas!
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Christmas is the one holiday for which I refuse to travel. I love spending it at home, with my hubby and kid. Relatives are welcome to come visit us, but we stay put. Probably the only thing that could change that would be a serious family emergency.

Redwolf
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Christmas/New Year period comes just before the most popular time in Australia to take summer holidays—January. Many businesses close down between Christmas and New Year. Things happen here very slowly if at all at this time of the year—very different from England, where people celebrated Christmas and New Year and otherwise just got on with business. Most people here seem to spend Christmas at home and then take a vacation. I go to Melbourne to spend Christmas with family and friends and combine that with a holiday in which I usually manage to do some recording. Some of you will be relieved to hear that there will be a few weeks of deathly silence from Wollongong coming up in a few days time. I'll miss you.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Charlene and I are off to Michigan to visit her family, with a detour to Toronto on the way out ( it's her favorite city, and I've never been there.) Any good brewpub suggestions there?
We also plan a visit to Glenn Schultz while we're out in Michigan-- talk a little shop, listen to a few tunes, have some dinner. Always an enjoyable and informative experience.
Safe travelling to all!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

My son and family are coming from sunny California to dreary Ontario for Christmas. I never budge at Christmas. But if I did here's what I'd want to do.

http://www.classbrain.com/artholiday/pu ... _253.shtml

Hooray Jake, Hooray John,
Breakin up Christmas all night long.

Steve
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

People actually have the time to take vacations?? Surely you jest.
I'm so backlogged with work, I've lost light at the end of the tunnel.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Day after tomorrow, I'll be leaving this cold, God-forsaken wasteland for the tropical paradise of Cancun, Mexico. Can't help but wish I was going to Ireland, though!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bartleby on 2002-12-17 09:37 ]</font>