The 5 Simplest...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

The 5 Simplest...

Post by Jason Paul »

I want to start learning some new tunes. I end up playing the same tunes over and over again. I'm an intermediate player, but would like to start with some fairly simple tunes.

This might be useful for complete beginners as well.

So, if you had to choose:

5 Jigs (or slip jigs)
5 Reels
5 Slow Airs

They should be simple to learn, appropriate for beginner to intermediate players.

What would yours be? If you can't think of 5 good ones, how about 3?

Thanks,
Jason
charlie_butterworth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by charlie_butterworth »

I don't know what makes some tunes easier than others, but I expect that a combination of "falling-under-the-fingers" and having simple rhythm make some tunes easier than others.

Given that I can "play" them, I'd suggest two jigs that are probably relatively simple to play:

The Leitrim Fancy
Boys Of Ballisodare

These other jigs may be candidates for being fairly straightforward:

The Butterfly - still learning it.
Humours Of Dingle - still learning it.

I have also heard of recommendations for Whelan's and Morrison's

You could also take a look at the Comhaltas website in the section on music exams. In their syllabi, they do list tunes that students can select for various levels of exams. I expect that careful consideration has been taken in the tune selection for these exams.

REQUEST:

Could some of the experienced players and teachers post their recommendations for jigs, reels, etc. that they feel are appropriate for beginners - maybe in a "sticky" titled something like "Beginners Tunes"

Thanks,
Charlie
Dragonwhistler

Post by Dragonwhistler »

A sticky with 'Beginner tunes' would be lovely for us newbies to the whistle.
Maybe with an explantion of what makes a reel a reel, a jig a jig,... I've been looking for that, but couldn't find out what's the big difference between these. :oops:

I was looking for some easy tunes also, and found the solution by buying the book: "110 Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes vol. 1". The tunes in this book go from beginner to advanced, so I just started with the first tune and I'm working my way up by just continuing in this book. Seems to be working fine.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Hey Dragonwhistler,

I just typed a long description to help you out, but figured I shouldn't detract from this thread too much. So, I'm going to start a new one.

Look for Irish Dance Tune Rhythm Basics.

Thanks,
Jason
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

I'm not sure these would be considered basic, but they're not too hard either. These are 2 jigs I've really been liking lately:
Humours of Ballyloughlin
Dusty Windowsills
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: The 5 Simplest...

Post by anniemcu »

Trying to recall what the first ones I learned were.

Jigs (or slip jigs)
Kesh (G)
the Road to Lisdoonvarne (Em)
Off She Goes (D)
Haste to the Wedding (D)
Gary Owen (G)
Paddy Breen's (G)
Morrisson's (Em)

Reels
Over the Waterfall (D)
Red Wing (G)
Red Haired Boy (A) (Little Beggarman)
Love Won't You Marry Me? (G)

Slow Airs
the Foggy, Foggy Dew (Em)
Inisheer (D)
Planxty Irwin (G)
Londonderry Aire (B) (Danny Boy)

Other
Waxies' Dargle (G)(the Girl I left Behind Me) March
the Rose Tree (D) March
Si Bheag, Si Mohr (D)(Little Hill, Big Hill) Waltz
Seamus O'Brien (G) Waltz
Off to California (G) Hornpipe
the Boys of Blue Hill (D) Hornpipe
Danny O'Keefe's Slide (Am) Slide
Last edited by anniemcu on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

Jigs:
The Blackthorn Stick
The Woodford Jig
THe Creel of Turf
Gallaghers Frolics
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I know there are "hard" tunes to play, but since I started I've always followed the same rule..
If I heard a tune which I really liked, I put all my efforts in learning it, although it could take me 1 or 2 weeks in doing it (I tend to learn reading the sheet music, but also hearing as many versions as I can find of that tune I want to learn).
I can remember that one of my first reels was "Cooley's reel". I don't know if it's easy or not (okey, it's easier than "Bucks Of Oranmore" or "The Mason's Apron", but not easier than hundreds of other 2-3 part reels).

So, I think that if we are motivated in learning a particular tune, we can do it if we put efforts on it, regardless of the difficulty.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Martin
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

Bothrops wrote:So, I think that if we are motivated in learning a particular tune, we can do it if we put efforts on it, regardless of the difficulty.
You make a very valid point - motivation is almost certainly very important in tune selection. My experience as a beginner, was that I felt totally overwhelmed by the sheer volume of available tunes that I had difficulty seeing the wood for the trees, so to speak. When JemTheFlute recommended The Leitrim Fancy, it was a very real help.

Given the tunes suggested by other people (including Bothrops), I think that the overwhelmed beginner would be able to chose a tune that he or she could become very motivated about, in fact, I may attempt The Kesh Jig as my newest tune, then maybe my first reel :o

THANKS!

Charlie
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hi to all,
My humble experience is to get to learn the ones that stick to the ear from the beginning to avoid disappointment. I was fortunate as a Bodhran player to find a teacher among the sessioneers and that is perhaps the way to go. Not to learn like in school, but to have some-one who knows the tricks of the trade. Like you probably I have many tutorials but fining some-one who knows the ins and outs is important. He can point out your faible points and strong points.Buying the 101 session whistle tunes is a good idea. I started later in life but like with many things its trial and error. Don't worry, I still play the same tunes over and over again to get my fingers memorizing the tune. But my rule is, I have to bond with a tune; if you hear or play Geese in the Bog; I see the creatures finding their way to the pond and play this with a smile. All the best,
Ron
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi
My first set of Jigs were The Rakes of Kildare/Blackthorn stick.
Both are easy to learn, play and are regular session tunes.

I agree with Bothrops that motivation is a big factor in the learning process and also learning with others brings a real FUN element to it :party:

Cheers
Happiness is taking things as they are.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Bothrops wrote:I know there are "hard" tunes to play, but since I started I've always followed the same rule..
If I heard a tune which I really liked, I put all my efforts in learning it, although it could take me 1 or 2 weeks in doing it (I tend to learn reading the sheet music, but also hearing as many versions as I can find of that tune I want to learn).
I can remember that one of my first reels was "Cooley's reel". I don't know if it's easy or not (okey, it's easier than "Bucks Of Oranmore" or "The Mason's Apron", but not easier than hundreds of other 2-3 part reels).

So, I think that if we are motivated in learning a particular tune, we can do it if we put efforts on it, regardless of the difficulty.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Martin
Yep, that's more my approach, if I hear something I like I'll work on it. Certainly some are just beyond my abilities at this point, but I'm getting closer every day.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I also agree that if you really want to learn a tune, just stick with it until you learn it.

However the motivation for this thread for me was that I really just want a few relatively simple tunes that I can pick up fairly quickly and start practicing.

There are a couple harder tunes I'd like to learn (and am slowly learning), but they're 3-5 part tunes and I just want something simpler in the meantime. I don't want to burn myself out working on the same difficult tunes, without something fresh filed in there as well.

Jason
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

For beginners I'd be inclined to recommend some nice easy slides:
Brosna
The Cat Rambles to the Child's Saucepan
Cumberland Reel

and Polkas

Peg Ryan's
The Waves of Tory
The Magic Slipper