Brainstorming for Job Ideas

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brainstorming for Job Ideas

Post by Eldarion »

Hi guys,
I've finally graduated and am still lost as to what I am going to do for a job, so I thought to see if I can fish for some ideas here.

What kinds of jobs would you suggest to someone who:
1) Has a good degree in biology. (but doesn't want to do anymore molecular biology research)
2) Has a passion for food and food culture. (but doesn't have much experience cooking)
3) Has a passion for an eclectic range of music. (but mainly plays ITM)
4) Loves film and film analysis. (but doesn't have experience in filming either)

Serious and half serious replies welcome.
Thanks
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

As for #1 & 2, how about some type of FDA job, like the ones trying to find the source of the salmonella outbreak? Of course, the things you see may kill your love for food.
As for #3 & 4, if you find a way let me know!

EDIT: Err, I guess I mean whatever Singapore's equivalent of the FDA is...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Go for a PHD in a different field. Not that biology is a bad field, but it is more impressive to have two different skills. you get payed to go to school for a change. personally I would like to go back for horticultural sciences.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy

Post by missy »

not sure about in Singapore,

But for 1 and 2, look for lab jobs at food manufacturers. While I spent 18 years doing analytical chemistry in a food manufacturer, since my original degree was in Natural Science I could have just as easily gone the microbiology route.
One way to get your "foot in the door" today is to work at a temp or contract agency. Most of the routine lab work (both chemistry and biology) is farmed out and not done in house these days.
If you really have a passion for food and want to go further in education, you may want to consider food science.

As for 3 and 4, do as much busking and "not for pay" as you can to get known and exposure. You may luck into something, but - keep your day job!

Good luck!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dwest

Post by dwest »

Why biology and was there any specific specialty within biology?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Yeah, sounds like Food Science is the way to go...
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

An interesting exercise is to think about your ideal job. What kind of duties, schedule, responsibilities, skills are involved. The even bigger picture is to think about your ideal life. The subconscious mind can be extremely powerful.

People that go through this process often get everything they want and then some. Some people write it down, some build picture collages to represent things.

A relative of mine recently graduated from college. At the post-graduation dinner he asked if I had any advice for him and his two buddies at the table. What came to my mind is "dream big." What I can add now is to write it down, or record the dream in some way. The dream itself has power.

Understand that for a high percentage of folks, their bachelor's degree has little to nothing to do with their main career. In the U. S. the average job lasts three years, the average career seven years, the average worker has three careers, often in very different fields.

Another school of thought is to get a job, where you can get a job, mostly thinking in terms of which pays the best and/or which might pay the best in three years. The main reason is that some jobs sound very interesting when described or when a person is young and inexperienced, but getting in there and doing the work is duller than dull.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Ah, just join the military, Eld--you know you loved it! ;)

Susan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Isn't there a career options department at your college or university? Someone there who is local who knows the field should have much better advice than I could come up with.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Brainstorming for Job Ideas

Post by CHasR »

Eldarion wrote:Hi guys,
I've finally graduated and am still lost as to what I am going to do for a job, so I thought to see if I can fish for some ideas here.

What kinds of jobs would you suggest to someone who:
1) Has a good degree in biology. (but doesn't want to do anymore molecular biology research)
2) Has a passion for food and food culture. (but doesn't have much experience cooking)
3) Has a passion for an eclectic range of music. (but mainly plays ITM)
4) Loves film and film analysis. (but doesn't have experience in filming either)

Serious and half serious replies welcome.
Thanks
howzabout....

evil scientist who invents organisims that look, taste and cook like food, but when digested turn the subject into Werner Herzog, while listening to the Chieftains?

naaahhh... :wink:
carrie

Post by carrie »

susnfx wrote:Ah, just join the military, Eld--you know you loved it! ;)

Susan
And ohh those uniforms! :)
/cf
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well, the uniforms aren't as cool, but how about something in the science of perception--the biological side of music and film appreciation (and popcorn appreciation, to work the food thing in), or something like that? I guess that would be a researcher position? So maybe the Ph.D. is the way to go. Just a thought.

Whatever you do, I am 100% positive you will do it with excellence and style!
/cf
djm

Post by djm »

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I think being a headsman would be cool but there are so few openings these days.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm