Who is your greatest influence as a flute player?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Flute Player that influences you the most

Matt Molloy
35%
Laurence Nugent
4%
Kevin Crawford
19%
Josie McDermott
4%
Mike Rafferty
11%
Seamus Eagan
5%
Catherine McEvoy
17%
Cathal McConnell
5%

Total votes: 113

Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Who is your greatest influence as a flute player?

Post by Akiba »

Just curious...

Did my best to include fluters of different styles. Curious to know who you would put on the list that I didn't.

(Apologies in advance for any misspellings)

Cheers,

Jason
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Grey Larsen - just did the Timber Flute Festival with him...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
daiv

Post by daiv »

my greatest influence would be my uncle (if you go to http://www.burkewhistles.com/ , he will be the one playing the whistle in the first few clips).

i used to play with larry nugent all the time, but i never really picked anything up from him. i was sessioning with him the last two weeks, and i've started to pick up some of the sounds and things he does. but when i'm playing by myself i dont know that i would do any of that yet, because it hasn't all sunk in.

mike rafferty is brilliant, in my opinion.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Matt Molloy is the only one on your list I would say has influenced me directly, and some of them I have heard little of. One name glaringly missing who has been very influential internationally for at least 20 years now and certainly influenced some of those on your list and many of the younger generation in Ireland as well as in Britanny is Jean-Michel Veillon - he has particularly influenced Brian Finnegan and Mike McGoldrick, as they would acknowledge, I'm sure. Personally in addition to MM and J-MV, Paul Roche of Stocktons Wing probably had quite an influence on me years ago (why does no-one ever mention him these days?), as did Frankie Kennedy, both names I'd think of along with Finnegan (not a personal influence, but certainly an influential player) and McGoldrick before quite a few of those you list.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Peter Horan.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Matt Molloy has influenced me a lot...
Anacleto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anacleto »

Tom Doorley is great.....i love his playing............
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I agree with Jem, that Frankie Kennedy should definitely be listed!

Jeanie
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Chris Norman is the primary reason I took up the flute. As far as Irish playing is concerned, Frankie Kennedy and Jack Coen have probably been my greatest influences.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I really like Kevin Crawford's style (I voted him). I also like Michael McGoldrick quite a lot, and I'd have put it in the list.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I forgot to mention John Skelton. I wouldn't claim/name him as a huge influence myself, but I know he is to many. For older British based folks, I guess Roger Sherlock might be important too???? (Not on me, never heard much of him, but have often heard his name quoted.) Michael Tubridy, the original Chieftains fluter, would have been one of the first to come to general, non Irish attention and through the media pre Bothy Band - probably as influential in raising awareness (if not as a direct model) as Cathal McConnell has been through Boys of the Lough. Paddy Carty is another oft-quoted name I'd think of as being influential (again, not on me personally as only acquired any recordings of him relatively recently) way before I'd think of the majority of the names in the poll list!

I suppose what I'm getting at is that most of the names on the poll list, whilst I've heard of them all, are not ones I'd think of quickly if you asked me to nominate a similar list of highly influential/famous ITM fluters. Molloy and McConnell would be there, Crawford and probably Egan..........
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My first influence was the nun who gave me her flute when she was no longer able to play it. I never even got to hear her play. The biggest influence has been you folks.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
andyras2

Molloy's da man

Post by andyras2 »

Probably my flute teacher..Belfast based man, lovely player.

But in that list it's gotta be Molloy one of the best reasons to take up the flute.

I've found others since taking up the flute and I enjoy what the all have to offer..
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Kevin Henry.
~Tiff
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ian Anderson - he's the reason I took up the flute in the first place, after years on guitar (before I ended up playing ITM on wooden flute).

Strangely, though, I definitely lean toward the older style ITM players.. Jack Coen; Mike Rafferty; Joe Burke (when on flute, not necessarily accordian), Frankie Gavin (when on flute, not necessarily fiddle), Josie McDermott...