I Love Scooters!!!!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

I Love Scooters!!!!!!

Post by Jayhawk »

Well, my wife and I went out and bought a Lambretta Due 50 today. It's the silver model and looks like this: http://lambrettausa.com/Home/DUE50/DUE5 ... fault.aspx

For some reason, mine did not come with that particular model blond...but rather one that seems identical to my wife (she even answers to the same name).

Anyway, I rode it home (11 miles from the shop) and I must say, that was the most fun I've had in ages. We rode around the neighborhood with my son on back, and the seat is actually long enough for my wife and I to 2 up if we wanted.

It seems ideal for a neighborhood like ours with everything we'd want to scoot to within 5 miles. No state vehicle taxes, no Motorcycle license needed, no license plates required, and no mandatory insurance (Missouri treats 49cc scooters like bikes)...what a great way to save money especially since it's supposed to get 80ish MPG.

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Seems like a great way to save on fuel costs, assuming the weather's clear enough often enough to make it worthwhile. BTW, the link don't work for me.
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote: BTW, the link don't work for me.
Don't work for me neither.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I edited the original link...should work fine now.

This will be my 4th scooter (all 49ccs - one antique thing with pedals, one nice Vespa, and one Honda Aero). They work in rain and snow as well...if you're really careful, they'll work on icy streets in Lawrence Kansas, but I'd not really recommend snow or ice.

Eric
dubhlinn

Re: I Love Scooters!!!!!!

Post by dubhlinn »

Jayhawk wrote:Well, my wife and I went out and bought a Lambretta Due 50 today. It's the silver model and looks like this: http://lambrettausa.com/Home/DUE50/DUE5 ... fault.aspx

Eric
Very nice.

A great shape and looks like a good goer..

The Scooter ain't bad either.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

What is the rule for driving those? Do you ride on the road, with traffic, like
bikes? If I pass one in my car, should I treat it like a bike, or a motercycle?
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

The rules vary by state. In Missouri, they're considered motorized bicycles if 50cc or less (so no motorcycle license, plate or insurance required), but you do need a valid driver's license. So they ride with traffic, and they have all the same lane rights as a bike or motorcycle. Many 49cc scooters are restricted to 30 MPH to meet state laws for a moped (the reason you pass so many), some are derstricted and can go about 45 MPH, and there are bigger scooters that are highway legal and will go 85 to 100 MPH.

If they're slower, I'd treat them like a bike, if they keep up with traffic, treat like a cycle.

In reality, they are small motorcycles. I read recently where a souped up 49cc on a racetrack hit 120 MPH - wow...must have sounded like a bee on steriods. :boggle:

Eric
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

That would be entirely up to your local, state/provincial, and federal laws. Here, if it is a motorized vehicle, it must meet federal and provincial safety standards, be licensed and registered, plus the driver must be licensed (class M) and wear a helmet. As an automobile driver, you would treat a scooter as a motorcycle. Scooters and mopeds are treated here as Limited Speed Motorcycles, and are not allowed to carry passengers or drive on controlled-access highways.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

That's too bad you can't carry passengers in Canada on a scooter. Our 49cc easily will carry both me and my son (allegedly, based on weight, my wife and I could both ride on it). The bigger scooters, at 125 or 150ccs are designed to carry 2 like a motorcycle.

Eric
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Thanks for the link. I've been trying to get my girlfriend's 17 year old son to consider getting a scooter for driving around town in. The good looking blonde will go a long way to convincing him ;)

I used to drive a scooter in my early 20's. Here in Texas (at least back then..dunno about now) 50cc and under motorcycles required a class M license, but no road test. If you had a driver's license, you could get a restricted c lass M added to your license for like $5.00. Insurance was required (as I found out after the fact).

edit:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/mcintexas.htm
Mopeds. The operator of a moped must hold a valid license as a moped operator (Class M driver license with a restriction code of "K"). A moped is defined as a motor driven cycle that cannot exceed 30 mph, does not have an engine larger than 50cc, and does not have manual gear shifting. Applicants for a moped operator’s license must be at least 15 years old. The licensing requirements involve a written examination on traffic laws that apply to the operation of mopeds. No road test involving the operation of a moped is required.