Willie Clancy Week 2008

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Willie Clancy Week 2008

Post by kenny »

It's getting close - any of you good people going ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

i am :)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

It's totally unfair, you guys are so close it's like a week "in the countryside". I don't feel brave enough to experience the Willie week "jungle" at the moment but I'll work on my courage and I'll eventually make it back one day I'm sure :-)
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

now come on, Az, seems that you got plenty of nice workshops on the other side of the pond :lol:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It's hanging over us like a shadow.

My son is working for the WCSS at the moment, cleaning and preparing the Convent in Spanish Point for the classes. I joked to someone earlier this week they were probably preparing the cream crackers and cheddar for the opening/launch reception as we were speaking. I immediately got the reply 'they left the preparation of the nibbles a bit late this year didn't they?'.

True to form the weather has deteriorated considerably already.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

hey peter, have the "puke mobiles" parked on the main st yet?? :lol:
they usually arrive up a few days beforehand.. mmm burgers!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

No, nothing yet, they usually arrive around the wednesday. Maybe the wind and rain scared them off.

Recognise the weather type (view from my window)? it must be (nearly) Willie week!:

claudine

Post by claudine »

who cares? we come for the music and the Guinness, not for the sunshine :lol:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I feckin care, I live here and while this sort of weather usually only starts during the first week of July, it's early this year. Unfortunately it can hang around for a long time, way after you've all cleared off again. It drives me and just about everybody else who is here full time up the wall after a while. It's the weather that makes people flock to the edge of the Cliffs of Moher.

And besides, Willie is hardly fun if everybody, smelly and damp, crams into the pubs so you can't move around (if you can get in at all) inside while it's pissing damp out.

So there. That's how I feel about it.
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

What are all those poles for in the picture of your front yard?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The lines that bring the telephone, electricity and the internet to the house are hung off them.
claudine

Post by claudine »

Peter Laban wrote: And besides, Willie is hardly fun if everybody, smelly and damp, crams into the pubs so you can't move around (if you can get in at all) inside while it's pissing damp out.

So there. That's how I feel about it.
i can understand that, Peter. I live in a village too, about the same size as Miltown, and we have a major event here in june, with thousands of people coming. i am lucky because our house is kind of hidden behind a forest in a side street. but for the rest it's even worse than Willie week, you can't even walk in the main street here. On the other hand, it lasts only 2 days, and most tourists leave in the evening, so no drunks erring in the streets during night time.

why don't you go to Spain for a week? enjoy the sunshine, until the invasion of smelly, noisy, thirsty tourists has left your place and you can go back to a quiet and peaceful home town.
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, I couldn't tell. I have no sense of scale from the picture.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You tend to loose perspective a bit in this type of weather, the lines come down a hill along a little road across from the house. The shot was a medium telephoto so it's slightly compressed anyway.

And Claudine, why would I go to Spain? There's nothing for me there, I just hope for decent weather during Willie, it's much more pleasant if people disperse a bit and there's no need to go into pubs to stay dry. If I want I can stay at home and as long as I don't go into town I will not notice anything of the Willie week going on at all. It's my 28th WCSS I think and mostly about seeing the surviving few at this point and catching up with a few people.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Peter Laban wrote:It's my 28th WCSS I think and mostly about seeing the surviving few at this point and catching up with a few people.
I'm sorry, Peter. I hope it clears up.

(and we'll take some of that rain off your hands if you can send it to Kentucky!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.