Bernard Overton R.I.P. 1930 - 2008

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

IO would like to extend my deepest condolences to the Overton family and all who were friends of Mr. Overton. His legacy will live on forever in the music that his work has touched.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Very sad news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

My sincere condolences. It's hard to think of a maker who has had more influence on the modern revival of the whistle in its larger form.

And lest the thought be lost amid the sadness ... A word of appreciation to Colin and Brigitte as well. All too often, the master's craft is lost with the master. But thanks to Colin, and his own craft and dedication, the direct legacy of the Overton whistle will carry on for many years to come.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Received the sad new today.
All strength to Bernard's wife and family and to Colin and Brigitte.
Will dedicate a tune to him this evening.

Jeroen
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

:o

:cry:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Very sad news indeed. Condolances, best wishes and prayers go out to friends and family. Certainly, if we had a Whistle Hall of Fame, Bernard Overton would be a charter member for his impact on the whistle world in popularizing the lower pitched instruments. He may be gone but will not be forgotten as we share our own breath with his creations.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
shadowformz

Post by shadowformz »

Brigitte and Colin, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and i hope the thoughts and love of the whistling world help nurture you through this sad time.
Life is a dream within a dream.
kennychaffin

Re: Tribute to Bernard Overton

Post by kennychaffin »

andrenm wrote:I've made a video song in memory of Bernard Overton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxn_sNjJbRI
Well done.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Bernard...
Thanks for the low Eb. It's beautiful foggy-intimate tones give me so many hours of pleasure. Great inventive work!
I wonder...how's the music in the next realm?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I'm sure this is a big loss.
My sincerest condolences to his family.
Rest in peace, Bernard Overton.
ambaiste

bernard overton r.i.p

Post by ambaiste »

This is indeed sad news.
We have known Bernard since 1972, he was a true gentleman.
Condolences to all his family.

Brian and Dorothy Howard
Howard Music.
pollyannapix

Post by pollyannapix »

I'm so saddened (and a bit stunned) by the news...I just heard today. How can one imagine what music we would not have today had it not been for Bernard Overton? I smile at the thought that whistles will replace harps, or at least join them, what a lovely thought!
swing a little more on the devil's dance floor!
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Wow. Was away for the weekend, and just read the news. Wow.

Thank you Bernard for giving all of us who love the low whistle a voice to sing with.

And thank you Colin - the legacy is in good hands.
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My heart goes out to his wife, family, and friends. May his soul fly free. It is sad to see him leave this world, but I suspect he'll find good company on the next leg of the journey.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

From Phil Brown:

Bernard Overton 1930 - 2008

The news of the sudden death of Bernard Overton during the early hours of June 14th 2008 has come as a shock to many musicians, players and lovers of the whistle. Bernard was the father of the low whistle, a unique instrument that has had a terrific impact upon traditional music and related musical genres.

Bernard Overton was born in Northamptonshire in 1930 and developed his engineering skills during his early training in aeronautical engineering and in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Later his employment in the then hotbed of the English motor manufacturing industry (including Massey Ferguson & Jaguar) further honed his skills as a design engineer.

During the late 60’s and early 70’s many skilled engineers in the UK lost their jobs through the demise of manufacturing industry. Drawing strength from this setback, Bernard employed the precious skills he had gained to produce what was to be a revered and classic instrument. The word ‘legendary’ is used too often these days without due regard to its actual meaning. Bernard was unquestionably a legend and the legacy of his classic instrument, which included the pioneering block (mouthpiece) design, made the ‘Overton’ the ultimate whistle with a truly unique sound and unassailable playing features.

Bernard designed his trademark instrument almost by chance during the heady days of the folk revival. Eddie & Finbar Furey were one of the biggest draws in the U.K. folk scene, and a highlight of their remarkable act was Finbar’s composition 'The Lonesome Boatman', originally played by Finbar on an Indian Bamboo Ab flute. Eventually after years of wear and tear, Finbar became worried at the rapid demise of this ethic alto instrument, which was roughly forty-one centimetres in length. The only substance to the flute at the end of its busy days was the tape and chewing gum that held it together. Legend has it that its final demise occurred one night when someone sat on it at a party. Request and necessity gave Bernard the opportunity to make a prototype whistle in 'G'. Finbar was so impressed by this that he asked Bernard to make him another in 'D'. At around sixty centimetres in length this was much bigger than anyone might anticipate a whistle to be. Birth had been given to the Overton dynasty and more specifically the low whistle as we know it today.

Such was Finbar's popularity that when he featured the low whistle he was always asked where he had obtained this unusual instrument and orders began to flow in for Bernard's special design. Within a short space of time he was working full time to cope with the demand for his whistles.

From two initial designs the Overton broadened in its range across the decades to the manufacture of over twenty different types. These included Sopranos, Mezzo Sopranos, Altos, Tenors, Baritones and Bass Baritones. Probably the most popular model was the Tenor 'D' (Low D). Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, and as the years have passed some have tried to copy the Overton, causing Bernard anxiety in the process. The brand nevertheless continued to develop and the Overton sustained desirability.

Little was Bernard to know what he was starting all those years ago. During his early years of design and construction, he witnessed an initial surge of interest in the instrument thanks to Finbar Furey. Momentum continued steadily through the decades, culminating in an explosion of ‘whistlemania’ towards the late 1990’s, when the instrument passed from the folk scene into wider popular culture, with the tremendous success of both Riverdance and music from hit movies such as Ned Devine which featured the haunting sounds of the low whistle so prominently. The Overton became almost fundamental to the sound of musical phenomena of this type.

There are many Overton aficionados, who will now be mourning Bernard’s passing. Inevitably a short list cannot be exhaustive, but certainly Cormac Breatnach, Troy Donockley, Brian Finnegan, Finbar Furey, James McNally, Davy Spillane and John McSherry should be mentioned. Alongside these virtuosos, Bernard leaves behind many legions of whistle devotees across Britain, Ireland and far beyond. Their playing is the truest testament to a legacy which will endure for a great many years to come.

There is an honesty and sincerity that runs through the full length of an Overton whistle – as wholesome as that of the great man himself. His personal skills were most endearing: he was loyal, dependable, and honest, with an attractively dry sense of humour. Despite his achievements and his legacy, Bernard remained, to those who had the good fortune to know him, a most modest, unaffected and practical man, and a true and sincere friend.

It is gratifying to know that the Overton brand will continue to live on in the playing of whistle devotees everywhere, and will prosper and develop in the capable and talented hands of Colin Goldie, Bernard’s design partner and colleague.

Our thoughts are with Margaret, Bernard’s wife and David & Dawn, Bernard’s son and daughter.

Phil Brown.

Big Whistle Music