Adapting Protec cases (revisited)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
malanstevenson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Adapting Protec cases (revisited)

Post by malanstevenson »

I know this topic has been done to death, and specifically the question of adapting Protec viola cases has also been addressed: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ec+pro+tec

HOWEVER, I'm looking at one of these to house my C full set for flights, and wanted to ask whether you use the ProTec PS2165W Standard Viola Case (the cheaper one), OR the PRO TEC HS2166W - Professional Viola Case (the less cheaper one). Specifically, I'm wondering whether one is easier to modify than the other, as the Professional model has those rigid box storage areas that might be harder to remove. It's supposed to hold violas up to 17" (as opposed to 16.5" for the standard), and has a little more depth (although its actually a bit narrower in height/width, 10.75") so I'm thinking it might be easier to get the bellows in there.

Anyone with experience of modifying either of these care to chime in?

Thanks much,
Mark
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

The PS2165 is the one I use and the one I've seen most pipers use:

http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?P ... tegoryID=7

The double violin case is alos excellent and probably what I'd get next time:

http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?P ... tegoryID=7

Pat.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Adapting Protec cases (revisited)

Post by bradhurley »

I use the cheaper one as well. I can fit my 3/4 C set in there just fine, but you have to remove the bass drone from the slide and push the tenor drone in to make it fit. I imagine you'd have to remove the bass regulator on your full set as well.

It was pretty easy to modify, although I did have to remove the outer fabric cover to remove some of the staples from the wood, and in retrospect I probably shouldn't have removed the blocks from the inside of the top cover as they marred the fabric a bit (they were glued in, instead of stapled, so removing them took away a bit of the fabric).

I love this case as it is low-profile, very light, and unobtrusive. Plus it has handy pockets for thread, papers, recording devices etc.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I too use one of these cases. It's great. Plus it has a certain amount of caché: people assume you are a classical musician...maybe someone famous even!

Until you tell them what you play :(

Anyone ever tried putting backpack straps on one of these cases?

T
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

tommykleen wrote:Anyone ever tried putting backpack straps on one of these cases?
That is SO gay! :o

Pat on D'Arsy
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:
tommykleen wrote:Anyone ever tried putting backpack straps on one of these cases?
That is SO gay! :o

Pat on D'Arsy
Um...I know this guy who wants to know :)

t
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

I was thinking of tricking out the case a bit, but nothing over the top:

One can imagine the dagger looks of envy I'd be getting with that rig.
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

tommykleen wrote:I too use one of these cases. It's great. Plus it has a certain amount of caché: people assume you are a classical musician...maybe someone famous even!

Until you tell them what you play :(
A true story: In Toronto, after the Chris Langan weekend a few years ago, I was walking through the subway with my pipes in a ProTec case. One of the subway buskers, a guy with a guitar, spotted me. "Hey!" he yelled, "Are you a musician?" I said, "well, I play music." He said, "What's that in your case, it's too big for a violin!" And I said, "Believe it or not, it's a set of Irish bagpipes." His eyes got big and he put down his guitar. "That is SO cool!" he said.

It could happen to you too ;-)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I adapted the Protec case these guys describe and it works fine. Since I only have a practice set I worked it out so I could leave in one of the little "storage boxes," which is handy for assorted small bits of junk, pieces of milk rings, thread, etc. (I cut up one of the pieces I removed and used it to make a "wall" to replace the one that was lost when I removed the viola neck block -- which, incidentally is just velcroed in so it's easy to take out. Then, like Brad, I took the cover off and pulled the small staples out with pliers.

But there's plenty of room and it's certainly deep enough for a mainstock, etc.

I did feel kind of cool hauling it through the airport ... for about the first two legs of the trip after which my neck got pretty cranky.

Although it's still cooler than my flute's pistol case.

I got a good deal from Cases and More on mine; I found one other lower price which they matched and then gave me free shipping so I got the thing for, IIRC, around $100.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The Protec cases are a bit pricy. You could probably get a flight case made to measure for the same price. I was quoted $300 for a 35"x12"x5.5" (outside measurements) aluminium case. Instead I bought a pipemajor's case for $90.
PJ
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I'm looking at adapting a tenor sax case as well
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

fel bautista wrote:I'm looking at adapting a tenor sax case as well
Why not use a tenor sax gig bag.

I use this one.

It will take a Bb full set, with plenty spare space for extra chanters, a practice set bag etc, and that is not counting the outside pockets.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Davy,

With your collection of pipes (2 Bb, concert pitch, various chanters), I thought this would be more in your line:

PJ
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

BigDavy wrote:
fel bautista wrote:I'm looking at adapting a tenor sax case as well
Why not use a tenor sax gig bag.

I use this one.

It will take a Bb full set, with plenty spare space for extra chanters, a practice set bag etc, and that is not counting the outside pockets.

David
Davy, would 2 half sets (C & D)) and 1 bellows fit in that gigbag?
I've been looking for something lighter than my wood case.
shy the blond water
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

I just ordered a tenor sax gigbag from musicalinstruments.com. Marked down from $99.99 to $19.99. Can't beat that price :)
shy the blond water