mockingbirds

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Post by dwest »

kennychaffin wrote:A few years ago I had blackbirds that would attack me every day on my morning run. I didn't understand why then, but do now that I'm really into bird photography.
Aren't you afraid those Mt. Bluebirds are gonna fly up your nose or something :D
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have a standing rule about wildlife. If it doesn't run away instantly and shows any sign of aggression, I assume there are little ones nearby somewhere.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:I have a standing rule about wildlife. If it doesn't run away instantly and shows any sign of aggression, I assume there are little ones nearby somewhere.
This isn't true for a lot of snakes. I find snakes all the time who want to eat me alive but don't have any babies (they generally don't even offer parental care at all anyway).
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

dwest wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:A few years ago I had blackbirds that would attack me every day on my morning run. I didn't understand why then, but do now that I'm really into bird photography.
Aren't you afraid those Mt. Bluebirds are gonna fly up your nose or something :D
That's why I don't run any more. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
dwest

Post by dwest »

It use to be that my rule about wildlife was, if I caught you brothering it, I'd give you an invitation to federal court, at least for some species. And that would have included Mockingbirds. :twisted:
Jack

Post by Jack »

dwest wrote:It use to be that my rule about wildlife was, if I caught you brothering it, I'd give you an invitation to federal court, at least for some species. And that would have included Mockingbirds. :twisted:
Do people really go to jail for walking under a Mockingbird nest?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

djm wrote:I have trapped hundreds of them.
But remember - It's a sin to kill a Mockingbird.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm

Post by djm »

dwest wrote:but what species, red, grey, fox
Our squirrels are black, of course. But the grays are slowly infiltrating.

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Jack wrote:I went through and I saw a big, grey, flapping, loud monster descending toward me....began flying around me making horrendous noises.
Sorta like this? :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5F87v5 ... re=related

I'm sorry you had the bad experience with a mockingbird. I hope you get a chance to meet one in better circumstances some time!

When I was an undergrad I was earnestly in search of the Perfect Tan and used to sunbathe daily. There was a mockingbird that had a territory near my favorite basking spot and so I developed an appreciation for mockingbird music.... Each mockingbird has about a dozen songs that they've picked up from other bird species, and they scroll through them randomly, repeating each song 3 or 4 times or more.

You get something like

tweet-tweet, tweet-tweet, tweet-tweet,
cheerily, cheerily,
tweet-tweet, tweet-tweet,
peter peter peter peter peter,
perchickory, perchickory,
heeeeyaughhhhh!
heeeeyaughhhhh! heeeeyaughhhhh!
purple people eater, purple people eater, purple people eater,
nerd alert, nerd alert

Here's some mockingbird song--
http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/birdsong.php?id=4

The Brown Thrasher is a related species; their song differs in that they usually repeat things twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2wJG4uQ ... re=related

Catbirds are also in the same group. They mimic other birds' songs but usually sing each phrase once. I think they're hilarious. By the time you've figured out what song they're imitating they're already on to the next one.

catbird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mewlAty ... re=related
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

It's probably protecting its young ones in the nest. Once the babies are flying, that behavior settles down a little bit. They are too busy trying to keep them in line and feed them. Sort of like taking care of college kids

Mockingbirds, as well as all other songbirds in the US are protected by law. You can get in far worse trouble if you get caught messing with them than if they harass you a little bit. Wear a cap when you walk through their turf. Makes you feel slightly protected. Unless you are a small critter, you are not likely to get physically attacked.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

s1m0n wrote:
djm wrote:I have trapped hundreds of them.
But remember - It's a sin to kill a Mockingbird.
The book was better than the movie. :D
dwest

Post by dwest »

Jack wrote:
dwest wrote:It use to be that my rule about wildlife was, if I caught you brothering it, I'd give you an invitation to federal court, at least for some species. And that would have included Mockingbirds. :twisted:
I'd toss ya in jail fer ever, darn prosecutors say "Oh! no! we have to follow the law" I say your fer burning at the stake or on a rotisserie. Maybe that's why I don't do that anymore...officially :twisted: So you said the field next to the hospital, Huh? I could send in a mob of crows, gaggle of geese, a flock of robins who had just finished eating mulberries and a kettle of vutures to finish the remains. So when do you have to walk that way again?
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:[quote"dwest"]but what species, red, grey, fox
Our squirrels are black, of course. But the grays are slowly infiltrating.

djm[/quote]Sounds like you already have the greys...in black. I think they were introduced.
Jack

Post by Jack »

dwest wrote:
Jack wrote:
I'd toss ya in jail fer ever, darn prosecutors say "Oh! no! we have to follow the law" I say your fer burning at the stake or on a rotisserie. Maybe that's why I don't do that anymore...officially :twisted: So you said the field next to the hospital, Huh? I could send in a mob of crows, gaggle of geese, a flock of robins who had just finished eating mulberries and a kettle of vutures to finish the remains. So when do you have to walk that way again?
I don't know, maybe in two weeks if I need a followup visit. :P

I wonder, though...why is it illegal to disturb the birds? Is it because they're endangered or something?
dwest

Post by dwest »

Try looking up the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. That should lead you to all the legislation and why and wherefores regarding protection of birds in the US. The Europeans are so far behind it ain't funny.
My old "company" http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrn ... atlaw.html