Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

jemtheflute wrote::-? :-? :-?
I guess some explanation is in order. Rob and I were taking a break from rehearsal with some other musicians, when I found myself overwhelmed with a desire to share something musically. The topic was oldies and folks were coming up with names of bands and songs from the 1960s abd 70s, many of which didn't make it big. I found myself at a loss to contribute a significant band or song, so when it grew quiet around the table for a moment I blurted out:

"Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes."

I guess you had to be there.

My recitations were from albums I listened to as a youngster by the group "The Moody Blues," you know, Nights in white Satin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dp29XacCe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfc1Q8Li ... re=related
I don't know that they were known well for live performances, but their studio work was great. The video above shows a flute. Anybody know what kind of flute it is?

Here's a clip of them live without the hoopla. Shows the flute better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFnJkru ... re=related
Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

gorjuswrex wrote:
mahanpots wrote:I've been working on slowing things down and I find my intonation is a bit off. Going for more lilt with these two reels. Let me know what you think:

IMHO there is not much lilt in these. I think it's worth you perusing this though. As far as I'm concerned there are some tunes that work well with this slowed up treatment and some not so well. I wouldn't think Lansdowne Lass works too well at this speed, come west could IMHO.
I think you need to look at phrasing. It seems a bit repetitive, try varying the notes, lengthen, cut, take out, add in etc. Try to see a range of ways of playing the basic idea of a phrase. Have a listen to players who play this style, play along following the idea of what they are doing.
I can hear note in your record that are cut short when they need to be extended to start to get some lilt.

kevin
Thanks for the comments, Kevin. All your comments are well-taken.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Michael

Just wanted to say I think your style has a lot of attraction to me as it is but these two reels were not up to your normal standard. I think it is worth you looking at these pionts but still keep the main part of your style. Like I said before I think it's small tweeks that will make your playing great.

Kevin
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Bothrops wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote: Bothy,
without a lot of thought beforehand, here's my take of the 'Leitrim.'
I know you just don't get my playing, but I thought you might be able to get this one.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/i93t44dk4c
(leitrim's fancy)
Hey Arbo, very nice playing there!! Thanks a lot, I know how IT SHOULD BE played, now I only have to be able to play it like that :lol:
I like the strong tone you always get out of your flute.

Cheers,
Martin
Thank you, Martin.

I don't know if you should use my take as 'how it should be played.' I just offered it as an idea for you. I still do my weird little rhythmic things on notes, and off beat phrasing, etc., but I thought you might like a non professional take of the tune. Please remember that I have not worked out any of this beforehand. I just play and record it as it comes out. The variations, however slight/ complex, are just on the fly.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/files#0:l:0
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

mahanpots wrote:I've been working on slowing things down and I find my intonation is a bit off. Going for more lilt with these two reels. Let me know what you think:

Lansdowne Lasses and Come West Along the Road

Michael
Michael,

I think you definitely got the lift in that set. I liked the pacing and phrasing. I think your rhythm is pretty steady throughout the set as well. I would have to listen to the tunes again for intonation, but nothing jumped out at me significantly in the first couple of listens. Good ones!
Here's a set of reels that I have been trying to get some 'lift' into!

http://www.box.net/shared/xxslnrns4s

Arbo
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Here's a go at Dumphey's hornpipe. I learnt this a while ago on ‘Whistle This’. I have just added a few more variants to it. I'd like to know what you think. Does it have a good, danceable, hornpipe rhythm? If I were playing it for a dancer I would probably put a bit less variations in.

Kevin

http://www.box.net/shared/d27qef9oos
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I thought I'd try a video.
Here's a clip of 'trip to pakistan.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI1PlqRv10g
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Profoundly Arboesque
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

gorjuswrex wrote:Here's a go at Dumphey's hornpipe. I learnt this a while ago on ‘Whistle This’. I have just added a few more variants to it. I'd like to know what you think. Does it have a good, danceable, hornpipe rhythm? If I were playing it for a dancer I would probably put a bit less variations in.

Kevin

http://www.box.net/shared/d27qef9oos
That's some lovely playing Kevin. I like the variations and the different phrasing, if I'm saying that correctly. The hornpipe rhythm, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Let's see what other's say. Nice playing.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

mahanpots wrote:Profoundly Arboesque
Agreed. I especially like the effect of the car alarm. Nice touch! ;) Sounded good, Arbo, but I think I detected a few rhythm hiccups. I have to really concentrate on this tune to keep the rhythm steady! Thanks for posting!
~Tiff
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

matahari_1946 wrote:
mahanpots wrote:Profoundly Arboesque
Agreed. I especially like the effect of the car alarm. Nice touch! ;) Sounded good, Arbo, but I think I detected a few rhythm hiccups. I have to really concentrate on this tune to keep the rhythm steady! Thanks for posting!
It's really tough trying to play along with the car alarms.
And, yes, there are a few rhythm hiccups. I'm still trying to iron those out.
Thanks.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've posted some new video clips on my latest sale thread if anyone's interested in them from the musical point of view - feedback on that in this thread would be appreciated. In particular, I need help with a tune name I just can't recall......... :oops:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

this is a tune I had uploaded to my box.net account, but it seems it has not been viewed. I submit it in the hope that I have played it with a little more stability, and the proper attention given to individual note values.

Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/72u9axuogg

(the munster cloak)
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

That sounded great to me, Arbo.
I like that tune quite a lot, it was one of the first ones I learnt to play on tin whistle. I had never heard it on flute before.
Very nice!

Cheers,
Martin
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Bothrops wrote:That sounded great to me, Arbo.
I like that tune quite a lot, it was one of the first ones I learnt to play on tin whistle. I had never heard it on flute before.
Very nice!

Cheers,
Martin
Thanks Martin.
On the advice of several of the board members here, I decided I should just slow down and simplify, and try for the steady rhythm etc.

Arbo