Won a grant for learning whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JConway
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JConway »

Hello everyone,
What a great site this is! I've learned a handful of great musical tips here in the last couple of months since I've been lurking around,reading the reviews on my CD! Thanks a lot for all the kind words about my music. Whistle is my first axe, and I love it(especially my Burkes!), but lately I've been spending a lot time playing the tunes on the harmonica. Also I've been working on making a whistle that can be played by blowing AND drawing air. I told some of the Chicago musicians of the new whistle idea and they told me that I'm wasting my time. They said I already suck as a whistler!

Yes, Carol and I won the grant! We're very happy about our monetary award which was generously given to us by the State of Illinois to help our whistle studies. Three words: GUINNESS! GUINNESS! GUINNESS! Ah, surely we jest!

It's been a pleasure working with Carol on the music. She's a wicked fast sight reader and is a plethra of musical knowledge. I've learned volumes from her in the theory dept. Carol has the ability to pull the heart out of the chest of a man, harmonize it in 4 parts, and show it to him before that man dies!
We've already started on forming sets. One of them is the Knocknagow jig into the reel "Sean Sa Ceo".

All the Best,
James Conway
Elkcreek

Post by Elkcreek »

Congratulations, Carol!
What a wonderful opportunity for you both.
Merry Christmas
John

I will give thee a dog, which I got in Ireland. He is huge of limb, and for a follower equal to an able man. Moreover, he hath a man's wit, and will bark at thine enemies but never at thy friends. And he will lay down his life for thee.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elkcreek on 2002-12-12 19:33 ]</font>
carrie

Post by carrie »

She's a wicked fast sight reader
Not that I ever use sheet music, of course. :wink:

Carol
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Welcome, Jim! Great to have you. I enjoy listening to your CD and had a great time jotting some thoughts about it down. Terrific stuff! But what the devil is a "harmonidrone (diatonic in Ab with blow 2 tuned up to Eb)"? :smile:
/Bloomfield
carrie

Post by carrie »

I listened to some of the tracks and was just blown away by the little clip that has whistle on it ("Humours of Ballyloughlin" or something like that). Is there any chance of Mr. Conway putting out a whole CD of whistle stuff, just like this clip? I absolutely loved it and listened to the clip on repeat for hours. Also, what whistle did he use for it?
Sorry Cees, for not answering the question sooner. He plays Burke whistles.

Also, James recorded a CD with a band he's been part of, Salthill Mines. There are lots of good whistle tracks on that one. You can email him (or me) for information on getting one of those, if you're interested.

That track is pretty phenomenal, isn't it? :smile:

Carol
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-12-12 19:08, JConway wrote:
Also I've been working on making a whistle that can be played by blowing AND drawing air. I told some of the Chicago musicians of the new whistle idea and they told me that I'm wasting my time. They said I already suck as a whistler!
Well, I'd love to have such a whistle, though I don't think it could be done. Although there is an interesting sucker called a Ba-Hu available from Lark in the Morning. I started on harmonica, and went to clarinet, when school band director wouldn't let me play harp in band. I kept getting clogged with spit, when I breathed in.

Seriously, though, welcome to the ever so sane world of Chiff and Fipple!
Reasonable person
Walden
JConway

Post by JConway »

On 2002-12-12 19:51, Bloomfield wrote:
Welcome, Jim! Great to have you. I enjoy listening to your CD and had a great time jotting some thoughts about it down. Terrific stuff! But what the devil is a "harmonidrone (diatonic in Ab with blow 2 tuned up to Eb)"? :)

Hello!
Thanks for the welcome and the comments on the CD. I'm almost done paying for the therapy sessions. ; - )

The harmonidrone is a Ab diatonic harmonica which I modified to give me a drone,over which I overdubbed a melody(in this case, the first part of the "Flowing Bowl", which I played in the non-traditional key of Ab mix. Hey what can I say! It's my CD and I'll cry if I want to!) So, the Ab diatonic harmonica normally has the following notes on the first 4 blow holes: Ab C Eb Ab, and I filed the C(2 blow hole) up to an Eb unison giving me: Ab Eb Eb Ab, a big drone which I continuously blow and change tone colors with my mouth organs(no pun). I made up the name " harmonidrone" but it seemed fitting.

All the Best,
Jim
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-12-12 19:08, JConway wrote:
Hello everyone,
What a great site this is! I've learned a handful of great musical tips here in the last couple of months since I've been lurking around,reading the reviews on my CD! Thanks a lot for all the kind words about my music.

James Conway
Welcome aboard Jim. I'm really delighted that you've decided to post as well as lurk. (Some of our finest posters are lurkers you know.) Since you've been lurking, you'll also realise that those of us who praised your CD really do love it; you've probably seen some of the comments about things people don't love.

Quite apart from having fun here, I'm sure your views and technical insights will really enrich our discussions.

(BTW, I haven't forgotten that I owe you an email that's long overdue (blush, blush). Coming soon, I promise.)
earthmom

Post by earthmom »

WALDEN - check your private messages.
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

On 2002-12-12 21:50, cskinner wrote:

Also, James recorded a CD with a band he's been part of, Salthill Mines. There are lots of good whistle tracks on that one. You can email him (or me) for information on getting one of those, if you're interested.

Carol
Does he have any clips up anywhere? I usually don't buy CDs before I listen and get an idea of what they are like. :smile: Thanks for the info! I was also wondering--which Burke is used in the whistle track on the latest CD? Al-Pro, or Brass session, or composite? Thanks again. :smile:

PS Welcome, Mr. Conway!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-12-13 12:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-12-13 12:47 ]</font>
carrie

Post by carrie »

Does he have any clips up anywhere? I usually don't buy CDs before I listen and get an idea of what they are like. :smile: Thanks for the info! I was also wondering--which Burke is used in the whistle track on the latest CD? Al-Pro, or Brass session, or composite? Thanks again. :smile:
I know that except for the low D, which is aluminum, all of James's Burke whistles are brass. I'll talk to him about posting a clip or two if there aren't any online somewhere already.

Carol
JConway

Post by JConway »

PS Welcome, Mr. Conway!

cheers
Jim
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

First of all, congratulations again Carol...I'm so very delighted for you...and Jim as well. :smile:
I might add here that I also was fortunate enough to hear Jim's Mouth Box CD and can only agree that it is a phenomenal experience to listen to. I have a whole new appreciation for the harmonica.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Congratulations on the grant Carol! I wasn't very surprised about it though - when I heard your clips I was pretty sure they'd give you the grant!
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Congratulations! I really like what James has done on "Mouthbox". This $ is well spent by the State of Illinois. I know good things will come from this association of James and Carol. I for one am looking forward to more music in the future.