gigabytes: Jumping or Galloping?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How do you say gigabyte?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Hard G (just the first one. Don't be silly. I know you Chiffers)
95%
Like a J, as in Jiraffe.
5%

Total votes: 22

emmline
antispam: No

gigabytes: Jumping or Galloping?

Post by emmline »

I realized, as I tried to say "gigabyte" at dinner tonight, that I wasn't sure how.*
Doc Brown, in Back to the Future, requires 1.21 jigawatts to get the DeLorean/time machine to work...but even at that, I had an inclination--when speaking of bytes--to say giga.

Dictionary.com allows as how either pronunciation is acceptable, but places the hard g first.

*why? Well, because I loaded a bit of freeware onto my Palm Centro which converts almost anything into anything. Seriously. It does acceleration, density, clothing sizes, radioactivity and angular speed...just for starters.
So, in the category "computers" I decided to find out how many nibbles in one gigabyte, only I wasn't sure how to express this thought out loud.
(the answer, it turns out, is 2.1474836e09. What "e" means is a different question altogether. I'm not a mathemetician.)

edit: Maybe I was tired when I wrote this. I said only the first G should be hard? Think of the possibilities...jijjabyte...gijjabyte...or, en español...heehahbeetay...
Last edited by emmline on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

It's scientific notation, Emm, 2.1474836 x 10^9 -- that's 10 raised to the ninth power = 1 000 000 000 = one billion (in American usage).

FWIW, I say gig as in "gig" or "give". It's a Greek root γίγα-, and there's no soft "J" sound in Greek. The gamma before iota is either hard, or slightly palatalized and affricated. In modern Greek it would be pronounced somewhat like our "Y" sound but breathier, like the g in a gyros sandwich. The closest phonemic equivalent in standard English is our plain old hard g.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

MTGuru wrote:It's scientific notation, Emm, 2.1474836 x 10^9 -- that's 10 raised to the ninth power = 1 000 000 000 = one billion (in American usage).

FWIW, I say gig as in "gig" or "give". It's a Greek root γίγα-, and there's no soft "J" sound in Greek. The gamma before iota is either hard, or slightly palatalized and affricated. In modern Greek it would be pronounced somewhat like our "Y" sound but breathier, like the g in a gyros sandwich. The closest phonemic equivalent in standard English is our plain old hard g.
Why are there so many people like my brother on this forum?

It's true, but I'm also kidding. I appreciate the etymology.
And I figured the e would be some way of containing a number of unruly length.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

MTGuru wrote:It's scientific notation, Emm, 2.1474836 x 10^9 -- that's 10 raised to the ninth power = 1 000 000 000 = one billion (in American usage).
But at least we didn't say Sagan's "billions and billions of stars" or Dr Morbius in "Forbidden Planet" with " 10x10x10 almost to infinity"

And now back to your regular programming
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

UK Billions are bigger. But with media hyperbole, everyone seems to aim for US billions because they get there quicker.

Jijabytes! I love it! I'll suggest it to the OSP - the Organisation for Subversive Pronunciation. I might even start using it myself!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My favorite is the number of times I hear the word gel pronounced "gel" and not "jel". As in "hand me the silica/polyacrylamide gel, please". A friendly reminder of how messed up the English language is and what a pain it must be to learn.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

you mean with a hard "G"??
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fel bautista wrote:you mean with a hard "G"??
As in girl. Not like the name Jill.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Hard G.

"Gigabytes," not "Jigabytes."

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
emmline

Post by emmline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Jijabytes! I love it! I'll suggest it to the OSP - the Organisation for Subversive Pronunciation. I might even start using it myself!
I know. It is good. And I didn't even mean to suggest it.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

clearly, chiffers prefer their 'G's" hard.... :)
djm

Post by djm »

But their strings loose. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

And our gigas giggly.

I think I'll start saying "Jigabyte" just to see how long it takes before someone corrects me.

Even better, I'll pronounce the "J" as in Jaque and not Jack.

This will be fun.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Basic rule of thumb would be "J" sound preceding I or E, "G" sound preceding A, O, or U. But I say "gig-a-bites", not "jig-a-bites", and yet I also say "jy-gan-tick". A hard-G "gel" seems just wrong, though.

I wish some other comparative terms than "hard" and "soft" could have been come up with for the letter G. The sound of "J" for me is harder than "G", and I don't like the cognitive dissonance one bit, I can tell you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ketida

Post by ketida »

I can never remember how to say "gesture" either.

I finally had to memorize the phrase "Don't Guess, it's Jesture" and I still have to think about it every time before I say it.

It's somehow unfair. Spelling should be more phonetic. Or fonetic.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.