Polymer Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Leahcim
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Polymer Flute

Post by Leahcim »

I've decided that I am going to buy a better flute than the one I already have (a dixon two piece) I've decided to go with the polymer because of their indestructability. The one I'm leaning towards is the dixon three piece.

If anyone has played the dixon three piece before...I wanted to know about the sound of this flute. Is it comparable to the wooden flutes as the website claims?
And I was also wondering about the hole size and spacing. This isnt really a issue for me I'm just curious.

I'm also open to suggestions of other better flutes, however I can't spend more than 350-400 dollars. Another reason that I've decided on polymer.

Thanks for any information you can give me.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've had one go on a Dixon 3-piece and was quite pleasantly surprised as my prior experience/opinion of Dixon's output in general was poor. I'd say they were a decent beginner's flute, but unexciting and there are probably better things available in the same price range.

Have you seen this current eBay item? Could be a bargain! Also previously offered on this forum here. Carl Bell's website is linked on the Makers List thread. I'd lay odds it would be better than the Dixon and you could get it for less - and always shift it on again if it didn't suit.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren has an M&E for sale right now...well within your price range.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Also there are rave reviews of Forbes flutes,
also within your price range.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Leahcim wrote:If anyone has played the dixon three piece before...I wanted to know about the sound of this flute. Is it comparable to the wooden flutes as the website claims?
I have a couple Dixon three-piece flutes (and another away on what looks like a liftime loan). It is a good beginner flute, IMHO. You can learn a great deal on one. They are light in weight. Not having the C-foot they are compact and easy to carry about. The embouchure is smallish. The tone holes are smallish, easy to cover and the stretch is pretty easy, IMO. The tone is fine but not as flexible as other flutes I have played. It's a good place to start and it makes a good travel flute later on. It is probably as good as the Dixon wooden flutes but I wouldn't classify it as near most other wooden flutes I have played. I play an older Copeland blackwood and a recent Copley blackwood.

I have owned a Seery large hole and own three M&E's (two of the older model, one R&R) as well. Those are a step up in sound and volume from the Dixon. The Seery is a honker, again IMO. It's also a hand full if you are starting out. The older M&E's have a nice sound and the hole size and spacing aren't much harder to handle than the Dixon three-piece. The M&E R&R has the sound I prefer among these. I have played several other polymer flutes which are noteworthy. I liked the McGee delrin GLP I played last summer. I also played a Copley three piece recently and I really want one of those. As has been said above. there are many more from which to choose as well.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Sent you a PM (private message) with some info.
~~~~
Barry
Henke

Post by Henke »

When I first started out years ago I was in a very similar possition. I owned a Dixon 2pc and was contemplating moving up to a 3pc and asked the board. Someone else had got a 2pc first, then a 3pc, then M&E. I got the advice to skip the 3pc and move straight up to an M&E, I did and I haven't ever regretted it.
You see, the 2pc you have is the lowest grade in transverse flutes. A beginners instrument which will not get you very far at all, but will teach you some about embouchure technique and posture. The 3pc is a step up from that, a playable flute, but lacking the volume and versatility of the more expensive instruments. A Dixon 3pc will only get you so far as well. An M&E is a true instrument which can hold it's own against $2000 flutes. There's no need to ever move up from the M&E, you can keep it for the rest of your life, as a back-up if you ever feel the need to invest in a top-notch instrument. It has a tuning slide and can be retrofitted with keys.
Save a couple of hundred dollars and get an M&E R&R, or maybe get the M&E original from Loren right now. It's probably more of a flute than the Dixon. I have nothing against Dixon, they are just plaing in different leagues.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Here's my thread from 5 years ago when I was in your shoes. Well worth reading
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Leahcim,

I see you are in Hull, if you want to swing over to Boston try my M&E you'd be welcome to, assuming I still have it at the time.

Loren
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

I'm a beginner who only has a Tipple low D flute. I'm happy with it, but I know that someday I'll want to upgrade to another flute.
I also would like a delrin flute, because of its 'indestructability'.
For all what I've read so far, a Rob Forbes' flute would be a great choice. I've read only good opinions about it, and the price is really fair too (a bit less than u$s 400).

You can read about it and watch some clips played by Kevin Crawford here: http://www.forbesflutes.com/

Regards,
Martin
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

How would the keyless Copley without the rings and slide compare to the Dixon three piece?

Sorry for pestering, but there are just so many flutes :boggle: I can't narrow it down to just one. :lol:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Leahcim wrote:How would the keyless Copley without the rings and slide compare to the Dixon three piece?

Sorry for pestering, but there are just so many flutes :boggle: I can't narrow it down to just one. :lol:

The Copley is far superior to the Dixon IMO.

Loren
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

Alright after much deliberation I've decided to go for the Copley.:D
I want something that I will enjoy for a longer time while I improve my technique (aka a flute with more versatility). From what you all said, I will get this with the Copley rather than the dixon.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Alright!
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.