Bacon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I knew I'd get someone wound up, never thought it would be you.

That's just too many ingredients. Once I see more than three ingredients in anything that don't sound like honest to goodness foods, my eyes glaze over. I never heard of a couple of those things like carageeeeeeean (what's up with all those e's?) and why would you need to evaporite cane juice. spice extractives? that's a bit vague. and potassium chloride, what tree does that grow on?

I know there aren't "real vegetarians" and thanks for the answer. I know there are lots of things about being a vegetarian that I have never contemplated or even tried to understand. I do wish animals were treated much better and they were killed more humanely.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My Lord, three pages and no other good bacon ideas? These are far from original except for the first, but here goes:

Modified colcannon -- mash some potatoes with a little milk. No need to add butter, as you'll see. Cook up 1/2 lb bacon. Drain as much grease as you might need to, then add some chopped cabbage or kale. Cook till it's as crunchy or not as you want, then add to the mash poes. Crumble the bacon in.

Peanut butter and bacon sandwich. Make it exactly as you'd think.

Franks and blanks -- slit hot dogs 1/2 way through, lengthwise. Put strips of sharp cheddar in the slits, wrap with slices of bacon, and broil till the bacon is crispy.

Spaghetti Carbonara -- fry up some bacon. In parallel, heat up some water. Drain some bacon grease and add some pepper flakes to that. You might also want to add some butter. Crack about 3 eggs and whip them, then add about 1/2 c of parmesan to that. Cook 1/2 lb spaghetti, drain quickly but not thoroughly. Add the bacon grease/pepper flakes and toss a little. Add the egg/parmesan mixture and toss quickly. The egg should get thick but should not set completely. Crumble the bacon over it when it's served.

I suspect biscuits and gravy would be good with bacon instead of sausage, although you'd need to spice it up a bit.

I've never met a burger that bacon didn't improve.

Unfortunately I don't have the sort of lipid profile that allows me to enjoy bacon as often as I'd like (not nearly as often as my wife would like). I'm familiar with the veggie alternatives, but, honestly, if I want bacon, I want bacon, not some substitute. Same with cheese and burgers. I've had one veggie sausage that really almost tasted like sausage. But for the most part, if I don't feel I can have the meat product, I'll have a vegetarian dish, not a vegetable product disguised as meat.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

jim stone wrote:I lived in Katmandu for awhile, on the block
where the butchers lived, so I saw lots of
pigs slaughtered. Heaven knows why pigs are
so smart but they definitely know the score
well in advance, and every pig for blocks
screams when a pig is slaughtered.
If you can imagine being dragged off and
tied up so that, in the morning, your
head will be crushed with several blows
of an axe, then it happens as you scream
and try to roll away, that's what pigs go
through. They feel what you would feel.

One doesn't have to be a vegetarian not
to want to be involved in this. I don't eat pigs.
Too much pain and terror.
Pigs are the last animals we should eat.
Ah, f*ck 'em.

Dey're only pigs!

hae ye ever tried tae reason with any o' em?

Bacon, Ham , Sausage, Scrapple,

yum. :party:

Jack

Post by Jack »

chas wrote:My Lord, three pages and no other good bacon ideas?
Well, a lot of us are vegetarian and/or Jews. What'd you expect? :P
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I suspect biscuits and gravy would be good with bacon instead of sausage, although you'd need to spice it up a bit.
I think bacon gravy is a lot better than sausage gravy. All it needs is a little salt and pepper. Oh, and biscuits. Now I'm hungry and will be forced to eat something...wonder if we've got any bacon?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

One thing that always bothered me about bacon is the grease. I have never found a good use for the half cup of fat that is left over from baking the stuff. I don't care for the taste in corn bread, I haven't tried making gravies from it, toasting bread in it is usually the way my BLT's are made, but nothing seems to really be the best use.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jack

Post by Jack »

I.D.10-t wrote:One thing that always bothered me about bacon is the grease. I have never found a good use for the half cup of fat that is left over from baking the stuff.
My mother made gravy with it. I used to call it hog gravy (which it is), to make her mad.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

SO this travelling salesman's car breaks down in the rain, and he manages to find a farm in a remote part of Ireland (or Scotland, Cornwall, Luxembourg, Sweeden, where-ever), and the kindly farmer and his 3 beautiful daughters take him in for the night.
Problem is, there's this 3-legged pig running freely around the house: in & out of bedrooms, on & off the couch, etc, which the farm fam pays no mind to at all.
Wile sitting at dinner being prodded by th epig looking for scraps, the salesman decides to bring it up, 'Tell me, sir, so what's with this pig , then ? How'd it lose a leg?' he ventures as a start.

'OH, dat pig, ya mean", 'says the farmer. 'Vell- ya knoe one night the chimney caught fire in our old place, and dint ya know that pig made such a screamin' and such a fuss, charged down our door and ran upstairs, thru the fire,an all that, woke us all up and saved wir lives?'

' Incredible. I see why you let him have the run of the house. The pig lost his leg in the fire, eh?"

"OH, NONONONO" continued the farmer. "the secont time was when wee Aggie had gone swimmin, caught her foot on a log under the current an was almost drownin, I tell ya, almost drownin!. Dint ya know dat pig ran as fast as can go and fetched me in the far cornfield in da nick o time, and DEN jumped inta the water while I held her up and bumped that log clear out from under her?"
'whew. Thats quite a pig you ve got there, sir. So that's how the pig lost a leg, then?'

'Oh, NO. 'course not'.

SO the salesman says, ' Well would you mind telling me just how the pig came to lose that leg, then?"

'ACH', says the farmer, aghast:

'A pig like that ya dont eat all at once!'
djm

Post by djm »

I was passing a pigsty surrounded by a tall, weatherbeaten fence. On the other side of the fence, instead of oinking and squealing, I could hear the pigs chanting, "13 ... 13 ... 13 ... "

I was amazed and intrigued. I just had to know what was going on on the other side. I walked along the fence until I came to a gap in the boards, and rushed forward to take a peek. No sooner had I put my face to the crack when some begger poked me in the eye with a stick.

I covered my face and fell back from the fence, screaming out in pain. From the other side of the fence, I could hear the pigs chanting, "14 ... 14 ... 14 ... "

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:I was passing a pigsty surrounded by a tall, weatherbeaten fence. On the other side of the fence, instead of oinking and squealing, I could hear the pigs chanting, "13 ... 13 ... 13 ... "

I was amazed and intrigued. I just had to know what was going on on the other side. I walked along the fence until I came to a gap in the boards, and rushed forward to take a peek. No sooner had I put my face to the crack when some begger poked me in the eye with a stick.

I covered my face and fell back from the fence, screaming out in pain. From the other side of the fence, I could hear the pigs chanting, "14 ... 14 ... 14 ... "

djm
This is creepy and sounds like a Flannery O'Connor story.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

CHasR wrote:SO this travelling salesman's car breaks down in the rain, and he manages to find a farm in a remote part of Ireland (or Scotland, Cornwall, Luxembourg, Sweeden, where-ever), and the kindly farmer and his 3 beautiful daughters take him in for the night.
Problem is, there's this 3-legged pig running freely around the house: in & out of bedrooms, on & off the couch, etc, which the farm fam pays no mind to at all.
Wile sitting at dinner being prodded by th epig looking for scraps, the salesman decides to bring it up, 'Tell me, sir, so what's with this pig , then ? How'd it lose a leg?' he ventures as a start.

'OH, dat pig, ya mean", 'says the farmer. 'Vell- ya knoe one night the chimney caught fire in our old place, and dint ya know that pig made such a screamin' and such a fuss, charged down our door and ran upstairs, thru the fire,an all that, woke us all up and saved wir lives?'

' Incredible. I see why you let him have the run of the house. The pig lost his leg in the fire, eh?"

"OH, NONONONO" continued the farmer. "the secont time was when wee Aggie had gone swimmin, caught her foot on a log under the current an was almost drownin, I tell ya, almost drownin!. Dint ya know dat pig ran as fast as can go and fetched me in the far cornfield in da nick o time, and DEN jumped inta the water while I held her up and bumped that log clear out from under her?"
'whew. Thats quite a pig you ve got there, sir. So that's how the pig lost a leg, then?'

'Oh, NO. 'course not'.

SO the salesman says, ' Well would you mind telling me just how the pig came to lose that leg, then?"

'ACH', says the farmer, aghast:

'A pig like that ya dont eat all at once!'
I love this joke... I've used it so many times, I just repeat the punch line and the family groans.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Unfortunately, humans have an innate hunger for salty, fatty foods. Like buttered popcorn, bacon has both in ample amounts. I recently had the opportunity of passing through an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, and I could see the people returning through the lines to refill their plates with heaping portions of bacon. As someone who is trying to reduce the amounts of saturated fat and salt in my diet, I have removed bacon from the list of foods that I eat. I no longer even like the smell of bacon being cooked. From what I have read about heart-healthy foods, I don't see that there is much place for bacon in a healthy diet.
djm

Post by djm »

CranJack wrote:This is creepy and sounds like a Flannery O'Connor story.
What is your basis for comparison? I think it's funny. I am not familiar with this author. She doesn't sound like she's much fun.
Doug_Tipple wrote:I don't see that there is much place for bacon in a healthy diet.
There isn't, but bacon and eggs is the one "good eating" meal I allow myself per week.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

In one of her stories, she subtly compares a pig pen to sitting in a crowded doctor's office. But it's probably something only I've drawn the conclusion to, so never mind then.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I've got a bunch of bacon from Polyface in the pan right now. Humanely and naturally raised ("Respecting and honoring the pigness of the pig is a foundation for societal health"), humanely slaughtered, cured with nothing but salt and pepper and sugar. Delicious as all hell.