Send Us Some of your Global Warming PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Send Us Some of your Global Warming PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Casey Burns »

This is not the year to be growing Tomatoes in Seattle. Yesterday it barely made it to 60 and it has been this way for weeks. Good cabbage weather. Also grass growing but it has been too wet to go out and mow it.

Then yesterday the snow level went down to about 3000'. LaGrande, a town in Northeastern Oregon awoke to snow. All the gardeners are pissed.

I started my peppers about a month late and am glad I did - although these are only at the 4 to 6 leaf stage. The ones who started early are now seeing their peppers succumb to diseases as they didn't get enough heat when they needed that. Many of these I am going to pot up and then grow on the flattish rood of my workshop where it gets around 95F on a moderately sunny day. Last year I grew a few experimental Habaneros up there. But in the ground these will just die.

We are doing a neat farming experiment this year. Actually, all I am doing are peppers which I do every year. My friends Tara and Marty sell produce at the local farmers market and they are expanding - and using an acre of our land to grow more vegetables. At one point (up to 1966) this land was in cultivation but has been pasture since - then lawn which has to be mowed. Now we don't have to mow it and there are potatoes, broccoli, onions and greens planted with much more to plant. We get to harvest what we need in lieu of renting the pasture.

But things sure would be easier out there if it didn't feel like early April! Actually in early April we had snow! Please send us some of your Global Warming!

Casey
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

I'll send you some of ours. Just as soon as I get the giant fans set up to blow it your way...
djm

Post by djm »

I see the west coast is scheduled to start warming up as of tomorrow, with slight increases each day thereafter. Buck up! :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Yeah we're freezing our butts off in Idaho too. It snowed in Blackfoot today!

I'm thinking of starting a grass roots movement to have everybody in the state spray aerosol cans out their windows to see if we can make a hole in the ozone layer.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I want water from all those floods dangit. We're in a drought and some of you are getting washed away by it. Same for poor Arizona. Drought for like 12 years and last year, Texas was afloat..
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

We've been having record highs here in the southeast. You're welcome to all of it!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The Weekenders wrote:I want water from all those floods dangit. We're in a drought and some of you are getting washed away by it. Same for poor Arizona. Drought for like 12 years and last year, Texas was afloat..
I'm contemplating growing mushrooms in the leaky corner of my basement...it gets watered about every 3rd day when 5" of rain seems to fall on a fairly regular schedule. Ironically, our "official" rain gauage for the city is at our airport which is 20 miles north (although within city limites) of the central part of Kansas City and it says we're only 1" over the norm for the year. According to my and my mother's raingauges, we're we're at least 18" over (double the normal amount) for this time of year.

My yard feels like a sponge - you sink about an inch whenever you walk on it.

Eric
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Weekenders wrote: Same for poor Arizona. Drought for like 12 years and last year, Texas was afloat..
That's cause Califorkneea takes AZs water. Ya'll need to build some more storage capacity and quit taking water from ma rivah the Colorady. Gonna get rid of those dern dams too...mumble, mumble.......
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

We've had the heat AND the water. We've had at least a couple of record-tying temperatures, plus thunderstorms with incredible rainfall and winds every couple of days. I'm sure we got an inch in 10 minutes last Saturday, when it reached 98 degrees. The grass that I planted (again) is rotting because of the rain.

OTOH, this is a couple of weeks out of a very cool (but still wet) spring.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Casey - I'm with you - I'm over in Spokane where we set 3 records yesterday - record low of 36, record low high of 49, and latest June snowfall.
Charlene
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

115f in my car yesterday (my A.C.'s busted...) imagine driving around in a kilt all day in that, if you will ,
:party: (Ive lost 7 pounds!)
so, Casey, you'll understand if I say...

YOU A LUCKY GUY!!! :wink:
can I visit ya for a while????

mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My swimming pool doesn't get this toasty warm until August. Sorry, I have no warm to spare.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Would you rather have our weather? This is just over the ridge from my house:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_9554156

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Just a couple of weeks ago I walked across the Mojave desert. Most people who do this walk are scared to death of it. The heat, carrying a ton of water, the desert.

When I went it was in the low 80s with a strong wind. When we all stopped for rest in the shade under a bridge we had to put our down jackets on. Some even got into their sleeping bags. Very very unusual.

I hear it's been unseasonably cold all over the globe in many places and that the sun has had less sunspot activity, too.

But if you really want some global warming you're welcome to it. I've been hiking the Pacific Crest Trail since May 1 and I can't think of more than a day's stretch that I haven't walked through forest that was burned to a crisp in the last few years. In fact, tomorrow I have to walk through a section of forest that is burning right now. I have not seen any regeneration of the trees even in forest burned almost 10 years ago. All that is growing back is low scrub like you see in Southern California or in the desert.

Desertification sucks. Global warming sucks. Get used to not being able to plant what you thought you could when you thought you could.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Redwolf wrote:Would you rather have our weather? This is just over the ridge from my house:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_9554156
We're getting some of that today, too. It looked like dirty fog,
and smelled like a campfire.
http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/3030331/

I thought, "So this must be what it's like to live in CA"
Last edited by fearfaoin on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.