My tale of woe...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My tale of woe...

Post by scheky »

Woe to those with Whoa I tell you....

As some of you my know (from earlier posts), I was awaiting my new set of OBrien Rovers in Purpleheart. Well, sit back and listen, and I will spin you a tale of woe that will bring a tear the the most hard-hearted of you.

The C/D set arrived the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I was working from home that day, and my family had just left until Monday so I was feeling very up to a weekend of whistle-y goodness. Yeah, I know you have to break a wooden whistle in, but a man has to dream....

I opened the package and was immediately overwhelmed. David, you make a beautiful whistle. Certainly a long way from the first whistle I bought from you (yeah, I was his first customer...too many years back). I put it together and played a little. I must say, the backpressure was spot on for my taste. It was just slightly more than my beloved Sindt. The sound was louder, a bit more pure..with just a hint of chiff. STUNNING.

Now, you ask, what about all this woe you were sputtering about? Well...good luck has NEVER been my lot in life. I went upstairs and much to my dismay (and yes, I'm an idiot) I slammed the bedroom door on my hand.

When I say I slammed it on my hand, I don't quite give the full picture. The door actually latched shut with my thumb still inside. I remember thinking..."well, that's an interesting sound" as I heard the bones crush.

I opened the door with some effort, and called a friend to take me to the Emergency Room. Yep! Crushed. They wrapped it all up, and like an idiot, I declined the painkillers (as it was numb and I didn't really know how much pain I was going to be in).

Even moving my fingers has hurt since then, and until last night, I haven't even been able to pick up that beloved whistle. Lucky me...right? BAH!

Anyway, thanks David, as it's as lovely as advertised. It's an astonishing whistle and I very much enjoyed playing it last night. When I manage to get some real ability back to use my left hand, I'll post a clip (though David has one on his site).

Still, it feels wonderful to play again.
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry as your tale is both, a comedy and a tragedy! I hope you make a full recovery and there is no permanent damage to your hand. ;)
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

boatgirl wrote:I am not sure if I should laugh or cry as your tale is both, a comedy and a tragedy! I hope you make a full recovery and there is no permanent damage to your hand. ;)
I second that, especially having had a digital scare myself recently - got some kind of blood poisoning infection in a tiny, innocuous little wound on my R forefinger - hefty antibiotics and painkillers from Casualty needed when it very swiftly swelled up and redness started tracking up my veins a couple of weeks ago. The finger itself still has a lump in the fleshy pad of the middle knuckle and isn't quite back to normal size and flexibilty. Finger damage is no fun for anyone, but real scary when music is a big part of life! I really hope your thumb recovers well and fast!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

OW! Hope you get relief and a full and quick recovery!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tia

Post by Tia »

eeeee ow!
that kinda sucks..well really sucks
hopefully it gets better soon, or somehow you find a way to continue playing? its only a thumb right? you dont need to cover and holes :D
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
sgerards

Post by sgerards »

Thank goodness you weren't holding the whistle!
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

OMG man! That is horrible. I do hope all will heal and you will get full use of your hand back. I can't imagine much worse than being debilitating and unable to play. My best thoughts and wishes to you!

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

sgerards wrote:Thank goodness you weren't holding the whistle!
Oh that's bad! But actually my guess was that he was going to sit or step on it, but fortunately the whistle is okay!

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Hey! Look on the bright side! You don't need your thumb to play the whistle anyway! You can use the bandages to cushion the whistle.

Seriously - sorry to hear about your woes - hope it heals quickly!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
weedie

Post by weedie »

Yeah thats a bummer Scheky...my condolences :sniffle: ....
BUT....there's always a sunny side to the gloom.......you did'nt damage the whistle :) .....
Hope you recover quickly so you can enjoy your new whistle :thumbsup:
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Every musicians nightmare is to injure your hands. Every whister's nightmare is to injure your whistle, especially a fancy-pants wooden one. I see the glass as half-full on this one as the whistle would have had no chance for recovery but your thumb probably will. I hope you don't require surgery later. You didn't say if they put in pins or anything..

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Lefty. You have all the incentive in the world to do so! And maybe that door needs a slow-close spring or something... I'm still trying to visualize how it happened. You musta been too giddy from the acquisition.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ouch ouch ouch. I did that once. Trying to juggle kids and junk, I gave the minivan sliding door a good slam shut. And it shut completely with my right index finger stuck inside just between the first and second joints. Then I dropped the keys. So I had to play a slight game of twister to retrieve the keys with my left hand, unlock the door, and release myself. That was about 14 years ago. Still have a bump on the bone there.