low whistles for beginners?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chansherly212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

low whistles for beginners?

Post by chansherly212 »

i have small hands (my hands span is about 7 inches) and i 'm thinking of playing the low whistle, any that you guys can recommend? i'm also looking for something not to expensive, but still sounds good. i thinking that a low D would be too much of a stretch for me, so i may get one in silghtly higher keys, maybe a low F or G, but i heard different keys impede the ablity to do ornaments, does it really?
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

The Carbony low D will work for you.

Its new and its perfect for you as a beginner with small hands.

Light, small holes, low wind reqz and big flutey sound.

Great price.

Contact Rob right away... hes a good guy and you'll be happy.

rob_gandara@alum.mit.edu
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Do you already play high D? Getting fairly comfortable on that will make playing any lower whistle a LOT easier.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MagicSailor

Re: low whistles for beginners?

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
chansherly212 wrote:i have small hands (my hands span is about 7 inches) and i 'm thinking of playing the low whistle, any that you guys can recommend? i'm also looking for something not to expensive, but still sounds good. i thinking that a low D would be too much of a stretch for me, so i may get one in silghtly higher keys, maybe a low F or G, but i heard different keys impede the ablity to do ornaments, does it really?
A is a lovely mellow key for a whistle and can easily play along with D whistles. It would also provide a reasonable transition between soprano whistles and the low whistles.

When taking recommendations, make sure the person giving them is answering what will work for you, not what works for him or her. We are all different. I had an Alba A and could not get to terms with it. Wonderful mellow sound, but I found it almost uncontrollable (and very loud) at the top couple of notes in the second register. Funny thing is I bought it because I was unhappy with an aluminium A I built myself. In the end, I found my homemade A much easier to control. I'm still looking for the ultimate A whistle.

I passed the Alba A to Doc. Don't know where it went from there. It would be interesting to hear how the next owner got along with it.

Owen
chansherly212

Post by chansherly212 »

brewerpaul wrote:Do you already play high D? Getting fairly comfortable on that will make playing any lower whistle a LOT easier.
yeah , i do play the high D whistle, and a Bb as well, do you know if a tony dixon low D has holes that are really far apart, and whether it requires a lot of air?
ellenwhw

Post by ellenwhw »

My hands are small and I can play both Dixon PVC and Alba Q1
Ellen
chansherly212

Post by chansherly212 »

ellenwhw wrote:My hands are small and I can play both Dixon PVC and Alba Q1
really? what key is it in? i ;m thinking of getting either a tony dixon or a susato, i;m undecided about which key to get though, a D may be too much of a stretch for me, then again, i want something in the lowest key i can manage, for variety of tone from my other whistles, would you say dixon's holes are far apart?
ellenwhw

Post by ellenwhw »

I already have Alba Low D and Dixon PVC Alto A and Low D.

I have no problem with them, and the finger holes won't be too big for me :)
Ellen
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

The Susato low D with "keys" on the Siccama flute principle - i.e. for the 3rd finger of each hand, are a good, though slightly dearer possibility to consider. I know someone who has one and it is a nice playing whistle. He has span problems due to arthritis in his hands and is quite comfortable on it. There is some loss of playing flexibility (not speed or such) with the keys - you can't do slides/glissandi or half holes on those notes - but otherwise I was very impressed with it. If you can find a good normal 6 open hole low D you can play comfortably that would be the best option, but if not, check out the keyed Susato.

Another good (and very economic) alternative would be a Guido Gonzato with offset 3rd finger holes - I'm sure Guido would do that on request and you can plan out your preferred angles/offsets on a piece of paper wrapped around a broomstick - ask him for the hole spacing, mark it on the paper, wrap it round the broomstick and then see how you can fit your hands to it and what offsets you would like, mark them on and send it to him? N.B. that's just a suggestion and you should talk to Guido first. Check out my review of his low D on this forum a while back and the current tour of his whistles.

There is another possibility. It is possible to make a conduit tube pvc whistle or flute body with raised, laterally adjustable offset tone holes. I have done this for my own use. I have made a couple of decent whistle heads as well. If you want to be a guinea-pig, I'd happily consider making one for you on a return-for-refund basis if not satisfied. Here's a pic of a low Bb tube I made for myself in this fashion. I have largish and flexible hands, but Bb is quite a stretch as you can see, and I find the offsets very helpful. I'd think your hands on a D would be roughly comparable. Note that I use a semi "pipers'" style R hand hold.

If you're interested (or anyone else), pm me to discuss it.

Best of luck whatever you go for.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If you have small hands and are looking at a low whistle, I'd suggest you try a low G.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
taity

Post by taity »

dixon lowd cheap and easy to blow
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
scheky

Post by scheky »

Here are some rambling thoughts, more centered on reach than anything else...

Remember that Burke makes the EZ for small hands. Even the Viper, with rotating Low D hole makes things much easier for the small handed.

One would expect that a Conical Low whistle would be easier for the small hands, but the Copeland has a very large stretch actually.

I used to really dislike the Susato Low D, but looking back on it, I think all the problems I had with it were more me than the whistle. I've heard them sound quite lovely...and with the keys, they are good for the small handed.

On a last note, if you are really worried, but want to take a bit of a plunge, try another Key. People are suggesting the G, which is very useful for sessions (being a common key), and even the A is good for a tune or two. However, if pressed, I'd recommend a Low F over any other. The darn thing just sounds beautiful and is small enough to be easily handled. I honestly play the F whistle when just playing for myself more often than any other key.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Check out this thread - a Susato low D with 3rd finger keys for U$75 has to be a bargain! Worth getting it anyway and then selling it on if it doesn't suit/you find something you like better.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I know you want to go cheap for now, but here's a recommendation for when you eventually want to upgrade:
http://www.sweetheartflute.com/lowwhistle.html
Although I haven't played one myself, everything I've read indicates they are very forgiving on the finger stretch.
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

I saw a cheap one on Ebay by Whisltsmith Wicked Good Whistles designed for small hands but I haven't heard one thing about those whistles good or bad so have no idea how they sound - perhaps someone else here has tried one?