Is your neighborhood walk-friendly?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

52 - I am surprised to see that my village even showed up :boggle:

Thought the only walks around here were Orange.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

I thought this was supposed to be a walking guide?

Some of the places listed near me are, indeed, within 2 miles, but it's nearly a 2 mile SWIM to any of them!!!

Well, maybe they're thinking of low tide! Very low.

:-?
Cotelette d'Agneau
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Mine scored zero. :sniffle:

They must have gotten wind of the poisonous snake that wanted to share the walk with daughter youngest and I a couple of days ago. Ah well.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

94! I can walk to most places, if not then bike or bus. Probably better than most 94's because the climate is fair weather all year round--rarely too hot, cold or stormy to walk.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Just playing around with it a little more. I'm not sure how they figure the distances, but it's not just how the crow flies. It told me the nearest school is .22 miles away - I didn't realize my backyard was that big! (the school is directly behind my backyard).

And I don't know if it's a matter of the fire numbers we use in our county, but when I put in my work address that has a fire number, it had it on the right road but not even close to where it actually is (though this is a problem with many mapping/direction websites too).

And for some reason it renamed our library - it's the Aram library, but according to this it's the John Gant Library (unless there's a secret library I don't know about in the same location as our public library).
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
djm

Post by djm »

A 48, which sounds a bit ambitious to me. I had to laugh that they count Tim Horton's Donuts as a restaurant. So very Canadian! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Peter Laban wrote:'Address cannot be found'

Just how I like it ;-)
Me too!!! and I'm happy they can't find me. The only thing anyone walking would find are some cattle,pastures, hay meadows and woods with the occasional wild critter here and yon.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I got a 43; maybe that's the average value for suburbs here in the US. I did notice the Sears Tower in Chicago got high nineties, but maybe that's only in the spring and fall. :-)
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I got zero. They listed a hot dog shop to be 2 miles when it's about 5. Many of the shops aren't there any more. And there's no accounting for safety.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I got 71, though it said the address was in England :swear:
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

My work place in Boston scored a perfect 100.

My home scored a perfect 15. The test is set up to determine the convenience of walking "to" some place as opposed to walking to "be" some place. We are fortunate to live in a beautiful place. Two lane roads, no side walks, walkers everywhere. Lots of water views, marsh veiws, big houses, serious gardens etc. Nothing commerical. We're about half way up what amounts to a 1 mile dead end. This time of year there's an organized group of bikers (non-motorized) riding around almost every weekend. I wonder if seeing sweaty me slogging along behnd the lawn mower spoils their day.
emmline

Post by emmline »

dwinterfield wrote:The test is set up to determine the convenience of walking "to" some place as opposed to walking to "be" some place.
Yes. Apparently the site's raison d'être is to assist someone in gauging the relative necessity of a car in a particular neighborhood, if he/she's in the market for a new place to live. So, what it factors in as important is proximity to businesses and services which you'd otherwise have to drive to.

Obviously, if what "walkability" means to you is access to scenic nature trails, or just nearby neighbors, the score your address receives is not necessarily going to reflect that.

Also, obviously, if you relied solely on this website, even for its stated purpose, you might end up with 7-11 as your accessible "grocer."
Last edited by emmline on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dwinterfield wrote:My work place in Boston scored a perfect 100.
Yup, we must be spittin' distance from one another. (Well, isn't everything in downtown Boston?) Actually my true work address is 02111 (right on the common), which scored 98, but when I put in the next zip over 02111 (probably yours?) the score went up to 100. Guess that pesky Boston Common and Gardens green space takes up too much retail acreage making that part of the city less walkable :-?

I'm willing to bet Boston also has more students and Doctors per square mile than any other city in the U.S., if not the world.

And oh yeah, it is a very walkable city :) The downside is the housing cost here :swear:

Loren
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Loren wrote:
dwinterfield wrote:My work place in Boston scored a perfect 100.
Yup, we must be spittin' distance from one another. (Well, isn't everything in downtown Boston?) Actually my true work address is 02111 (right on the common), which scored 98, but when I put in the next zip over 02111 (probably yours?) the score went up to 100. Guess that pesky Boston Common and Gardens green space takes up too much retail acreage making that part of the city less walkable :-?

I'm willing to bet Boston also has more students and Doctors per square mile than any other city in the U.S., if not the world.

And oh yeah, it is a very walkable city :) The downside is the housing cost here :swear: Loren
On top of Gov't Center Garage.

I believe the student population in the city of Boston is more than 100,000. I don't know if that includes Cambridge. I've heard they have some schools there.
Denny

Post by Denny »

zero :lol: