One for the Sam Murray fans

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
daiv
antispam: No

Post by daiv »

Aanvil wrote:
daiv wrote:
Jon C. wrote:Thanks, been trying to see that program for a year or so!
Now I can see how to make flutes... :D
so you're thinking of making flutes, eh? i hope you don't feel threatened--but there's a monk in your area that i hear makes a pretty mean flute!
I heard it was a mean monk making flutes pretty.

I'd worry.

:D
oh, i was mistaken--it was a pretty monk making mean flutes.
JohnB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

One for the Sam Murray fans

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for the link Murrough. Has anyone figured out how to save these BBC iplayer and the Full set videos to hard disc to view later?
sponge
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

just downloaded the lot.

does anyone know what the tune is that Gary Hastings is playing at four minutes 23 seconds on the first part link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVWT_r-Dew

cheers sponge :D
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

does anyone know what the tune is that Gary Hastings is playing at four minutes 23 seconds on the first part link below.

bugle hornpipe.you could find it recorded on gary hastings and seamus quinn cd,'stories to tell' together with number five.
marin
murrough o'kane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by murrough o'kane »

Tonight they have Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh's concertina episode on BBC 2 for anyone that's interested - details below:

Ceird An Cheoil
BBC 2 Northern Ireland

Today on BBC 2 Northern Ireland from 7:30pm to 8:00pm

The Concertina

Following musician Micheal O Raghallaigh as he restores an old concertina to its former glory and discusses the merits of the instrument. Plus, performances by Antoin MacGabhann and Brid Meany, Michael Rooney, Providence, Catherine MacEvoy and the O Raghallaigh family.

(I'd say it'll probably be shown at the same URL as the one posted for Sam's episode [replacing it]:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/ ... d=b005sk7n )
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

....ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Aaaaaagh! I LOVE HIM! I saw him in St. Louis and he's just perfect. Murrough, I think you're taunting us!

<sigh> Oh well, maybe in another couple of years The Great Sanalyanna will once again deliver us unwashed and I can marvel from afar ... sniff, sniffImage
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
murrough o'kane

Cathy Wilde wrote:... Aaaaaagh! I LOVE HIM! I saw him in St. Louis and he's just perfect. Murrough, I think you're taunting us!

<sigh> Oh well, maybe in another couple of years The Great Sanalyanna will once again deliver us unwashed and I can marvel from afar ... sniff, sniffImage
Hi Cathy,

This is BBC 2 (here in the north) airing the series for the first time, and they seem to be very good for putting their stuff on-line. I think it's a bit crappy of the BBC however IMO, how they are not allowing the footage to be broadcast worldwide.

Now, to my knowledge, TG4 were very good for broadcasting the episodes of the whole Ceird an Cheoil series on the web (from their own website), as they were great for repeating the episodes on the actual television channel itself, so I would rather have watched the episodes on the television, back when they were airing first time around, and always enjoyed watching the repeats. It might be worth having a wee browse around the TG4 website to see if they still have some of the episodes online. I truly feel bad for people who can't view this, that the BBC aren't showing this across the world.

Just maybe keep checking back on the TG4 website to see if they have the episodes online from there, and if so, it might be nice to post them here I suppose, for the ones who unfortunately haven't seen the episodes yet.

Just an after-thought here, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn by posting these links incase TG4 are trying to sell them or something like that, as I honestly don't know if they are.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I don't know about BBC stuff online in general in terms of area distribution rights, but as the Beeb obviously bought this series in, they may well not have the rights to distribute them beyond what they are doing - in fact, I'd lay odds that is the case. I doubt they're simply being mean or lazy - there are bound to be sound, if "bad", legal reasons!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
murrough o'kane

Just had a wee check there on:

http://www.tg4.tv

Click on:

> Ceol - Cartlann (3rd link down on the left side)

and you can usually find a wealth of stuff there, e.g.:

Canúintí Ceoil - 6/6/08 presented by Joe Byrne

(There are a good few episodes on the Canúintí Ceoil series)

There's a nice documentarey of Frankie Kennedy there for example, at present simply called:

"Frankie" - 12/4/08

As I said, there's an absolute wealth of stuff there usually, so just keep checking in is my best advice.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
murrough o'kane

Aye David,

it was just on tellybox again there, so will probably be a wee while before they upload it to t'interweb.

They have the standard:
Something went wrong

There seems to be a problem playing this video - please try again...

Download information
Sorry, Ceird An Cheoil is no longer available. Programmes are available for seven days after broadcast.
... message, so I'd imagine it'll be like this for a few hours or however long it takes their web person to "change the reel" as it were (from Sam's flute episode, to Mícheál's concertina episode).
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I can not download the flute documentary from youtube. Is it copy-protected even on youtube? Or would one of the lucky downloaders send it to me by using yousendit.com or just by email?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Real Player 11 for Mac & Windows will download YouTube videos to your hard drive

www.download-free-player.com

You download and install Real player 11. Then when you play a YouTube video a small box opens at the top of the video and Real Player asks if you wish to "download ths video". You click on the box and the video is downloaded
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Joy! Joy!

And OMG, the RealPlayer people FINALLY got a clue?!?!?!?!?!

Double joy-joy!

... and thanks :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.