*********** A reminder about civility ******************

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

"Saloon" is the American equivalent of "pub".

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Don't think so, Deej. A saloon, if run properly, makes a pub look like a kiddie pool. In the old days, if you fancied a brawl, cards, cheap whiskey, raucus laughter, cheap women, and the occasional cutting and shooting, you went to a saloon. Except for certain parts of the country where dirt floors are still de riguer, they stopped calling them saloons decades ago. Took a lot of the fun out of it. :D Pubs are a different matter altogether. They are supposed to serve food along with the drink.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ronbo wrote: Pubs are a different matter altogether. They are supposed to serve food along with the drink.
Yeah! Sometimes you can get packets of peanuts AND pickled eggs! :moreevil: <...grumble grumble grumble...>
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Ronbo wrote:Pubs are a different matter altogether.
Sorry, you are way off the mark, there. Bars/taverns/saloons were never called public houses (pubs) in the States as far as I know. That is a fairly recent innovation, with bar owners trying to find a label for their establishments to cash in on the exoticness of it.

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Sorry, you are way off the mark, there. Bars/taverns/saloons were never called public houses (pubs) in the States as far as I know. That is a fairly recent innovation, with bar owners trying to find a label for their establishments to cash in on the exoticness of it.

djm
For what it's worth, "pub" has wormed its way into the Yank lexicon and out of exoticity by now, at least in some locales. I've overheard people use the term with some surprising regularity hereabouts, from well outside the ITM circle, and not in reference to Irish/Scottish/English-themed "bars-in-a-box" or the like.

Well, then. I say let's not call the Pub the Pub anymore. I vote for "The Shebeen".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

I vote for "The Politically Correct Friendship Circle of Light Tea Room".

Let's all hold hands and sing It's A Small Small World. :thumbsup:

djm
emmline

Post by emmline »

Well, it's true that not everyone liked it when Errol Flynn came to town and cleaned up Dodge City. But some of us wimminfolk find the atmosphere to our liking.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nanohedron wrote:
djm wrote:

djm
For what it's worth, "pub" has wormed its way into the Yank lexicon and out of exoticity by now, at least in some locales. I've overheard people use the term with some surprising regularity hereabouts, from well outside the ITM circle, and not in reference to Irish/Scottish/English-themed "bars-in-a-box" or the like.

Well, then. I say let's not call the Pub the Pub anymore. I vote for "The Shebeen".
You have English-themed pubs? Weird.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I saw an English-themed pub in Lexington once. I forgot what it was called but I remember that it had England's flag flying, which is what made me notice it.
missy

Post by missy »

Martin Milner wrote:

No - we have bar/restaurants that "pretend" they are English or Irish themed pubs. I got into an slight, ah, disagreement with the bartender at the "Fox and Hound" that is across the street from where I work. They have "Bud Light" happy hours. What the heck kind of pub would even serve Bud Light???

I won't even go into what the "Claddagh" pub calls "Irish" - one of their offerings is "Southern Irish Pulled Pork Sandwich" :o
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

emm, you'd still like errol flynn if he smelled like andouillette.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Actually, 'Publick House' was a common designation for taverns in colonial New England. It fell from common use, and circled back (again via the UK) in the form 'pub'. Some strive to mirror the styles that are common across the pond, and some don't. Some are comfortable, fun places to be (we have several such), and some are very phony. Pretty much like any other country, IMO.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
djm

Post by djm »

emmline wrote:Well, it's true that not everyone liked it when Errol Flynn came to town and cleaned up Dodge City. But some of us wimminfolk find the atmosphere to our liking.
Well, that's fair enough. If this is to be a lady's chat room on cooking sewing, raising children, etc. then it should advertise itself as such, and nasty bwutes wiff foul mouwfs would know to stay away.

(Nobody ever seems to remember that Errol Flynn left town soon after the saloon was turned into a tea room.)

djm
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote: If this is to be a lady's chat room on cooking sewing, raising children, etc...
Trust me on this: Errol isn't the only one who'd leave town if this happened. :boggle:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Martin Milner wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
djm wrote: Sorry, you are way off the mark, there. Bars/taverns/saloons were never called public houses (pubs) in the States as far as I know. That is a fairly recent innovation, with bar owners trying to find a label for their establishments to cash in on the exoticness of it.

djm

We even have one here called "The Britannia Arms"...has Union Jacks all over the place and a red call box out front! But I do have to give them credit...unlike a lot of such places, the Arms is very true to its roots. It reminds me a great deal of some of the pubs we visited in England. No cask-conditioned, cellar-cooled ale, alas (I really developed a taste for good ale in London!), but the atmosphere is very true to type.

Our token "Irish pub" on the other hand, is a travesty. It's basically a fern bar that serves Guinness. Kind of like a ""Slug and Lettuce" that serves corned beef and cabbage. Nice enough for a restaurant, I guess...I'm told the food is very good...but the only thing Irish about it is the name: Rosie McCann's.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!