worst home cooked meal ever?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Once a girl I was dating had me over for a home-cooked meal. SHe had gone to great length to get everything right including the smoky flavor on the chicken kebabs that she had painstakingly assembled and lovingly prepared...

With an entire bottle of Liquid Smoke used as an all-day marinade.

I don't know if y'all have ever used that stuff but you're supposed to use like a drop of it or some miniscule amount like that to season an entire meal. It's really really strong.

The kebabs tasted like, well, smoke. That stuff had penetrated absolutely every cell wall of every cubic inch of vegetable and chicken on the skewers. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was inedible but as soon as she took her first bite she knew.

Man, I felt so bad for her, but we had a good laugh about it later on.
Last edited by Paul on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Who made that into a food? People are certainly weird.
(referring to the andouillette, as referenced by Walden)
Paul

Post by Paul »

emmline wrote:Who made that into a food? People are certainly weird.
Proper Andouille is really nice and tastes nothing like crap would probably taste. Moral? When in Oklahoma don't order Cajun food. :P
missy

Post by missy »

Paul wrote:
With an entire bottle of Liquid Smoke used as an all-day marinade.
My ex-MIL had her "special" BBQ sauce that she would add a huge amount of Liquid Smoke to. I would ask for mine "dry" because I can't stand the taste of that stuff. Plus I'd have to come home and change clothing and take a shower because it would permiate every molecule in the house!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Walden wrote:
Ronbo wrote:
Walden wrote:Andouille is a different sausage entirely.
I am certainly glad to hear that. What the heck is an andouillette, then?
From Wikipedia:

Andouillette is a French sausage, a specialty of Lyon, Troyes and Cambrai.

Traditional andouillette is made from the colon and the stomach of pig. In modern times, contents vary and normally contain intestines of pig, cow and/or calf. It is not to be confused with andouille sausage, which is much spicier, but more mild in animal-derived smells.

American andouillette is quite acceptable to the American palate. French andouillette, on the other hand, is an acquired taste and can be an interesting challenge even for adventurous eaters who don't object to the taste or aroma of feces. It is sometimes eaten cold, as in picnic baskets. Served cold and sliced thinly, the smell, taste, and texture may be mistaken for an andouille, but on closer inspection the texture is considerably more rubbery and the meat has a more feces-like flavor. By contrast, many French eateries serve andouillette as a hot dish, and foreigners have been repulsed by the aroma, to the point where they find it inedible (see external links). While hot andouillette smells of feces, food safety requires that all such matter is removed from the meat before cooking. Feces-like aroma can be attributed to the common use of the pig's colon (chitterlings) in this sausage, and stems from the same compounds that give feces some of its odors.
:o :boggle:

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to deliberately eat something that smelled and tasted of feces.

That sounds most singularly disgusting.

/me bazooka-barfs

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

What the world needs is andouillette-flavored Velvetta.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack

Post by Jack »

One time I made blackberry cobbler that turned out to be burnt fruit soup.

I ate it anyway, with ice cream.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Paul wrote:
emmline wrote:Who made that into a food? People are certainly weird.
Proper Andouille is really nice and tastes nothing like crap would probably taste. Moral? When in Oklahoma don't order Cajun food. :P
The andouillette in question is a French delicacy, and is distinct from andouille Cajun or French andouille. It's also distinct from Cajun andouillette. This French andouillette has the colon running right through the center of the sausages.
Reasonable person
Walden
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

What can I say... the French eat snails.
One time, when I went to Ireland with some friends of mine, we were driving through France and stopped at a restaurant for lunch. My friend was feeling adventurous and said "does anybody know what andouillettes means?" Nobody knew and the waitress explained it with another word we didn't know. So he decided to find out and ordered it. He bravely finished the dish.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sober Sam wrote:What can I say... the French eat snails.
When I was 15 I spent part of the summer with a French family. One memorable restaurant appetizer was a heaping platter of frog legs. And quite distinguishable as such. I didn't eat any.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

emmline wrote: When I was 15 I spent part of the summer with a French family. One memorable restaurant appetizer was a heaping platter of frog legs. And quite distinguishable as such. I didn't eat any.
Frog legs are eaten here. I've only had them cooked by my Grandma. I had seconds. They were good.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Walden wrote:
emmline wrote: When I was 15 I spent part of the summer with a French family. One memorable restaurant appetizer was a heaping platter of frog legs. And quite distinguishable as such. I didn't eat any.
Frog legs are eaten here. I've only had them cooked by my Grandma. I had seconds. They were good.
djm

Post by djm »

Yep, that's the cartoon (or similar) that immediately came to my mind about frog's legs, too. :) Wasn't there an old Ray Milland movie about the frogs taking revenge?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Thanks for the info, Walden. I think. I'm off to get a couple of alka-seltzers now. :)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would probably be ok with the idea of frog legs--if I didn't have the unfortunate knowledge that they kick when put in the pan to be cooked. :o

I just can't eat something when it's still trying to run away from me. :lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard