Wood Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wood Whistles

Post by ketida »

It's probably just another manifestation of WHOA, since I'm very happy with my Burke brass D.

But, I love my other instruments made of wood (mandolins of various sizes and tunings) and have been considering a wooden whistle.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

That's high D, btw.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Swetheart, the older model (now out of production). You'll love it or hate it. I love it.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Check out the O'Brien Rover. African blackwood and 3-piece with a really cool leather case! The sound is very traditional - I like it better than my Burke DAN for most stuff. They aren't cheap unless you can find one on eBay (like I did) or someone here on Chiff will part with one.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
The Laughing Imp

Post by The Laughing Imp »

Tim2723 wrote:Swetheart, the older model (now out of production). You'll love it or hate it. I love it.
Why the old version? I remember the version from the early 90's that looked very much like a recorder/flageolet. Well, they're all flageolet's technically, aren't they, but maybe you know what I mean.

What is it about the new version you don't recommend? I had a chance to play one and it was very sweet sounding. Not loud enough for a session, but very sweet sounding. I rather liked it.
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Busman! Busman! I love mine :)
Although I wish it was from blackwood - my myrtle one is a bit too lightweit. But blackwood ones are expensive, AFAIK...
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

The Laughing Imp wrote:
Tim2723 wrote:Swetheart, the older model (now out of production). You'll love it or hate it. I love it.
Why the old version? I remember the version from the early 90's that looked very much like a recorder/flageolet. Well, they're all flageolet's technically, aren't they, but maybe you know what I mean.

What is it about the new version you don't recommend? I had a chance to play one and it was very sweet sounding. Not loud enough for a session, but very sweet sounding. I rather liked it.
It's not that I don't recommend the new version, but I just like the older one. After a couple of years they mellow nicely and have none of that 'recorder' sound they often have when new. I get the sense that a lot of players don't care for Sweets because they haven't broken in enough. The older model is also significantly louder, and very session-worthy. It also mics better in live performance than anythng I've ever tried.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

If it doesn't have to be a high whistle, consider Mack Hoover. He made me a mahogany whistle in 'G' that I really love. I think I paid $150.

In fact here are some pictures of the actual whistle that he sold me, (it's the second one down):

http://mackhooverwhistles.com/whistlepictures.htm
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

I LOVE my Chris Abell, sterling silver and african blackwood.

http://www.abellflute.com/whistle.html
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ketida wrote:Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
Nope, I can't recommend a good one that wouldn't break the bank. Then again your bank may be different from my bank.

There are alot of nice wooden whistle available. The one option that wood gives you is the uniqueness of the timber from which it is crafted. Look for a maker that uses a wide variety of suitable woods. Ask them what unique woods they have on hand. If you go with a maker that knows his timbers you will get a truely one-of-a-kind instrument that still plays and sounds terrific.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
The Laughing Imp

whistlegal wrote:I LOVE my Chris Abell, sterling silver and african blackwood.

That is a beautiful looking whistle. At $400, though, I'd need to hear it first. Got any samples you could point me to?

As a general question about Sweetheart whistles, I've heard that they excel at playing outdoors. Is that true for the old or new ones? Even my Burke struggles when the wind blows at me.

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I can't find it at the moment, but somewhere on either:

http://www.tonyhinnigan.com > Try Downloads > Old Grey Whistle Test

or

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/ > Try Movies > Pro-files

Tony Hinnigan does a comparison of several (4-5 maybe) wooden whistles, including the Abell. I think it may be one of the "Hinnigan on High Ds" videos, but not sure.

Jason
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Rose!

:)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The Laughing Imp wrote:
whistlegal wrote:I LOVE my Chris Abell, sterling silver and african blackwood.

That is a beautiful looking whistle. At $400, though, I'd need to hear it first. Got any samples you could point me to?

As a general question about Sweetheart whistles, I've heard that they excel at playing outdoors. Is that true for the old or new ones? Even my Burke struggles when the wind blows at me.
I can tell you that the Sweetheart Pro is the single best outdoor whistle I've ever played. That's the "new" one, which is made of a laminate called "Diamondwood." I played mine for a couple of years for Morris Dancers in all kinds of weather, and never once had a problem with the wind stealing its voice or with temperature changes causing clogging in the windway.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I can confirm that the Sweetheart is a very fine whistle for outdoor use. I think I have one from about the same time as Redwolf.

As I understand it, you now have a choice between two wood laminate whistles. They have a substitute for Dymondwood, but it's essentially the same stuff. One is a bit louder than the other and while I have not tried either, I suspect the louder one is also the better choice for windy outdoor play. It usually works that way with other whistles.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
The Laughing Imp

Thanks, gents. I am currently working on a project and hope to reward myself with one of those Sweethearts (with the fife head combo). I was thinking of the louder version, so I'm glad to hear it might be the best choice after all.