is that my fault???

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

is that my fault???

Post by LorenzoFlute »

once againg the cork is getting off from a joint of my copley flute. it already happened about a month ago on another joint.
the flute was made in 2003, so it's possible that it's really time to change the cork, but hell two times in a month!
now i'm thinking that maybe i'm doing something wrong in the maintenance of the flute. so, how often should i use the cork grease? an answer could be "when it becomes hard to assemble or disassemble the flute", but what if that happens every days? is it ok to put the grease every day?
thanks,
Lorenzo
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

That sounds like something's wrong somewhere. I've changed the cork in one of my joints one time in the more than 10 years I've had my flute, and that was because some bug had gotten into my case and chewed on it. I believe it's important to grease the new cork often as it soaks up the grease. I don't think you can grease it too much. Just a little dab'll do. I've had new cork on one section for more than a year now, and I'm still greasing it more than the other cork.
Also, I try to twist the flute in the direction of the overlap of the sheet of cork. That's hard to explain, but you want to twist so that the twist twists in the direction that the cork was laid on. Once the sections are seated, I sometimes twist in the other direction, but when I'm putting the sections together or taking them apart, I twist in the direction that the cork was laid on, so that the overlap is shoved together instead of apart, if that makes sense.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

What are you using as cork grease, I remember reading, on the forum, that petroleum based products can cause cork to deteriorate.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

What are you using as cork grease, I remember reading, on the forum, that petroleum based products can cause cork to deteriorate.
i use a normal cork grease, bought in a music shop...
Denny

Re: is that my fault???

Post by Denny »

Othannen wrote:is it ok to put the grease every day?
yes
very little
very often
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cork joints should always be greased before assembly...at least that is what I was taught back when I was playing sax and what my local instrument repair main advises as well.

Re-corking isn't hard to do and I think it's fun - you can buy cork at your local music store (if they repair instruments) and they can usually advise you on the correct size (or Jon C can jump in and remind me what size is most common). You can glue it on with rubber cement, sand down a bit if necessary, and be sure to cut the ends at an angle so the cork overlaps onto itself.

Eric
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Isn't this fun? This is why I use thread with thread grease. Cork over tenons is definitely not user friendly!!!!!

I highly recommend getting rid of the cork, then thread wrapping the tenons.

Casey
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

For some reason, which I cannot explain and is probably inexplicable, I have a totally irrational dislike of threaded joints and immediately replace the same with cork on any flute I obtain.

Fortunately, as an ex-clarinet/saxophone player I have a large supply of suitable cork and can easily carry out the replacement myself.

Please note- as already stated my dislike of threaded joints is totally irrational, and I was as bad at playing reeded woodwinds as I am at flute.
G1

Post by G1 »

^I can't help but to be with you. No matter how many times folks say that thread seals as good as cork, I just can't wrap my mind around it. In fact, thread obsessively worries me on any instrument I own. I've been playing corked instruments since childhood and have rarely had any problems. I can see cork beginning to deteriorate long before it loses seal. It's not as 'traditional', but - at least in my mind - more reliable. And there's something to be said for that. Some folks probably have the opposite reaction.

New cork should be greased every time the instrument is put together. After a while, the cork will become embedded with the grease and will not need it as often. I always give it a quick swipe with my fingers before assembly to check it.
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Casey Burns wrote:Isn't this fun? This is why I use thread with thread grease. Cork over tenons is definitely not user friendly!!!!!

Casey
I used to like cork, but I have to agree with Casey, if done properly, thread is much better.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
G1

Post by G1 »

^Oooo... I would love for your to qualify that statement! Why is thread better?
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

I'd genuinely like to know the answer as well.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm OK with either one and have always replaced whatever the maker originally used with the same...that said, I can see wisdom in threads in that you can remove some or add some if the instrument is swelling or shrinking any because of the weather and I believe, correct me if I'm wrong here Casey, that thread also strengthens the tennon since it is wrapped tightly there.

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jon C. wrote:
Casey Burns wrote:Isn't this fun? This is why I use thread with thread grease. Cork over tenons is definitely not user friendly!!!!!

Casey
I used to like cork, but I have to agree with Casey, if done properly, thread is much better.
I have to disagree with both and say that when cork is done properly it's superior to thread, IMO. What I think of, and was taught, as proper though is rather different than how many makers cork.

That said, recorking a previously threaded instrument can be somewhat problematic at times, particularly if the maker originally oil finished the wood prior to thread lapping - in this case it can be hard to get the cork to stay put for long. Although superglue on the wood can help.

Casey, as a maker I'm surprised you'd publicly suggest altering another living maker's work, particularly as I know you'd be quite irked and probably have a few words to say if another maker suggested immediately replacing the thread on one of your flute's tenons with cork. Based on other things you've written here, I imagine you would then say that the person had voided the warranty on your flute? (Which is fair enough indeed) Correct?

Loren
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

My warranties are voided when they put cork on flutes made by me. Otherwise I was offering a suggestion for a problem.

I have seen cork done well and correctly. I have also seen cork done well and correctly on my flutes - yet this always results in a cracked socket because my sockets aren't designed for cork, even if properly done!

But corking a joint is beyond the skill level of the amateur player. Also it is beyond my skill level! Or that is, I never bothered to learn how and don't plan to waste my time on it as thread has worked well for over 3000 instruments. Also, in my current Lyme Disease -compromised state I doubt if I could tolerate the fumes of the common cork cements.

Thread wrapping is something most of my 3000 clients can and have mastered however, demonstrating its safety and end user friendliness. Most don't endanger their instruments this way, but get more intimate with them and its maintainence, and it allows them to make adjustments on the fly.

My suggesting this does not really fit into the category of suggesting altering another makers work similarly to offering oiling suggestions. I am not telling anyone to revoice an embouchure or undercut a fingerhole on their Copeley Flute. Thus no taboo has been broken here.

Casey