One for the Sam Murray fans

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Davy for President!!!!!!!!!

:lurve:
Affirmative! He's now my favorite-sure to beat Nader anyway! Thanks very much, Davy for posting the links, and to all who made it possible!

Funny, Sam's not an old geezer like I pictured, and Michael's just a youngster too! Great playing by all and nice to be able to make a visual connection to the fluters finally.

Would make a nice DVD set for sure!!!
~~~~
Barry
michael c
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by michael c »

greenspiderweb wrote:
Funny, Sam's not an old geezer like I pictured, and Michael's just a youngster too!

... but that was 6 years ago. Who knows what life's tribulations have done to them since then.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

michael c wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote:
Funny, Sam's not an old geezer like I pictured, and Michael's just a youngster too!

... but that was 6 years ago. Who knows what life's tribulations have done to them since then.
I know what you mean, Michael, my picture is about 4 years old too.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
murrough o'kane

Post by murrough o'kane »

G1 wrote:RATS! Big ones...

Thank you for the link. I hurried there to download the program, but apparently we are not allowed to download from the BBC here in the states.

Sigh! :sniffle:
Lousy one!

No probs for the link. I just thought I would share it, incase anyone didn't know about it already.

Does it even let you play it, or can you just not download it?

It's just nicer to see the whole episode in one sitting IMO, rather than having to go through all the wee youtube clips, dis-jointedly.
Last edited by murrough o'kane on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Is it even let you play it, or can you just not download it?
it doesn't play, because i'm not in UK :(
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

michael c wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote:

LOL!

Good to be able to put a face to ya... even if you claim is gone all grizzly in 6 years.

I attribute my youthful complexion to plenty of meat and red wine. :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

michael c wrote: ... but that was 6 years ago. Who knows what life's tribulations have done to them since then.
Yeah, you're well on your way to geezer status ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Well, Dow's little worship icon summed it up, but man, what a great program. Totally inspiring! Does anyone else want one of Sam's flutes (even more)?
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
michael c wrote: ... but that was 6 years ago. Who knows what life's tribulations have done to them since then.
Yeah, you're well on your way to geezer status ;-)
Tee Hee, Rock Stars get to be legends, becoming a Geezer is far superior... do lady flooters become Floot Biddies?
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Many thanks David for making this known and thanks to Sanyallana for putting up the videos. I'm one of many who have been waiting to see Meadh's documentary about Sam. Very interesting and worth the wait. Sam Murray is a very interesting and intelligent man that I'd like to meet sometime. Thanks also to Murrough O'Kane for the BBC reference.
rh

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Thanks, been trying to see that program for a year or so!
Now I can see how to make flutes... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
daiv

Post by daiv »

Jon C. wrote:Thanks, been trying to see that program for a year or so!
so you're thinking of making flutes, eh? i hope you don't feel threatened--but there's a monk in your area that i hear makes a pretty mean flute!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Just finished watching the whole series. What a treat! The music (including Maiti Jo Sheamuis's singing), the interviews, the flutes the flutes the flutes -- happy sigh. I especially liked the part where he called boxwood an "SOB" (not exactly in those terms) :lol:; I have a feeling he'd have a word or two for The Banana if he saw it today. It was indeed cool to see a video populated by so many boxwood flutes -- I'm so used to being the lone person with the weird amber flute it felt like I was discovering the Banana's lost tribe. And it's REALLY inspiring to hear the sound some of those players were getting out of theirs.

Thanks again to Asturian angel Sanyallana and Davy and Othannen and everyone. :-)

XO,
cat and "Hesperus" (aka The Mighty Banana)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

daiv wrote:
Jon C. wrote:Thanks, been trying to see that program for a year or so!
so you're thinking of making flutes, eh? i hope you don't feel threatened--but there's a monk in your area that i hear makes a pretty mean flute!
I heard it was a mean monk making flutes pretty.

I'd worry.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert