What is your Favorite hard to find beer?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

What is your Favorite hard to find beer?

Post by Loren »

When the warm weather hits, I tend to drink a bit more beer than I do in the cold A$$ New England winter months. That being the case I usually have a difficult time finding some of my favorite import beers, which led me to wonder what my fellow chiffer's favorite hard to find beers are?

Currently my Fave's hard to find beers are mostly Dark beers:

Kostrizer

Isenbeck

Xingu (Currently cooling in the freezer while I polish off the last cold Dos Equis)

Harpoon Munich style Dark (Which shouldn't be hard to find where I live!)

I also like Tiger Lager, but that has recently become widely available.

So, how about you? What are your had to find faves?

Loren
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Stone Ruination IPA. So called because once you've tasted it, your taste for any other IPA is ruined. Hard to find and expensive when you do, but so, so worth it.

Even harder to find is Stone Arrogant basmati. Awesome stuff.

Edit: hell and blood, Dale, are we in Romper Room or something? The name of the beer isn't "Arrogant Basmati," it's "Arrogant (word meaning 'child of unwed parents' that this forum idiotically renders as 'Basmati.')" Sheesh.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ro3b wrote:
Edit: hell and blood, Dale, are we in Romper Room or something? The name of the beer isn't "Arrogant Basmati," it's "Arrogant (word meaning 'child of unwed parents' that this forum idiotically renders as 'Basmati.')" Sheesh.
Geeze, when I first saw your post I was thinking it was was some sort of Rice beer. Like Great Divide Brewing Co.'s Samurai Ale or something. Glad you clarified. I'll have to look of for some Arrogant Child Of Unwanted Parents around town and see if I can find it to try out.

Loren
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Kilkenny Irish Red Ale Draught aka Red Guinness.

I would kill for some of that now.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

I was conceived in the Northwest when Olympia, affectionately known as Oly, was the dominant beer and still tasted good. I was exposed to it prenatally as well as having it a part of my racial memory. The local artesian well water in Tumwater Washington was an integral ingredient in making it taste good, so their motto was "It's the water." Then it went to hell to keep up with the dumbing down of culture in general. Fortunately, beer companies realized people who still had good taste represented a significant market, so Olympia reinvented good tasting Oly and called it Medallion, my favorite beer of all time. Unfortunately, the company stayed a small local brewery, made some serious business errors and went under. (One of the more humorous ones was coming up with a light beer called Olympia Gold and including the phrase "All our water is personally passed by the inspector." in its advertising campaign for that light beer.) Oly is still made as a side line by one of the big brewers and still says "It's the water." on the can, even though they do not even use the water that made it a good beer so long ago. The only way I will be able to taste Medallion again would be to take up home brewing and rebuild the flavor by memory, which is in the realm of possibility. I'm surprised no one has mentioned their favorite beer is something they make themselves.
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

Thomas Hardy's Ale. I haven't had it for 15 years and don't know if it's still being made. I know they stopped production in '99 but hear that they've started up again. I can still vividly remember the thick, smooth, creamy brew.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ro3b wrote:Stone Ruination IPA. So called because once you've tasted it, your taste for any other IPA is ruined. Hard to find and expensive when you do, but so, so worth it.

Even harder to find is Stone Arrogant basmati. Awesome stuff.
Not hard to find here. :D

Last year after a gig, my band and I went looking for a late night meal and we ended up stumbling into the Stone Brewery. Appropriately, the building looks like a dark Satanic mill at night, sitting incongruously in the middle of a typical business park. But the interior is posh and modern and impressively non-micro for a microbrewery. Lots of big vats and tubes visible through the Bistro windows. Pretty neat.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

jlunt wrote:Thomas Hardy's Ale. I haven't had it for 15 years and don't know if it's still being made. I know they stopped production in '99 but hear that they've started up again. I can still vividly remember the thick, smooth, creamy brew.
Cruise on down to Florida. We've got it. I haven't had it yet cause it's expensive. But I love Old English Ales.

Down here we have a hard time getting Dogfish Head's limited and specialty beers. Their current releases I keep asking our beer rep for are Palo Santo Marron, Immort Ale, and Chataeu Jiahu.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I am still mourning Rolling Rock beer being sold and no longer bottled in Latrobe, PA.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

Flogging Jason wrote:Cruise on down to Florida. We've got it. I haven't had it yet cause it's expensive. But I love Old English Ales.
Great! As it happens my parents live in Florida and my birthday's coming up. I think I know what I'm asking for. :lol:

It is expensive, and it's definitely a sipping beer (or more accurately Barley Wine). Its high alcohol content - something like 15% - pretty much precludes a "six-pack on game day" attitude.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Loren asked about favorite beers.

Don't you folks know the difference between a beer and an ale?

Next I suppose someone will volunteer chianti.

Loren, I drink what ever my husband is bottling.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

[quote="hyldemoer"]Loren asked about favorite beers.

Don't you folks know the difference between a beer and an ale?

[quote]

They're ALL beers (fermented,non-distilled grain beverages). The difference is between a lager and an ale.

Back in the day, I woulda said that my favorite was the one that I hadjust brewed, but then this pesky whistle making took up all of my spare time... :P
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I live in a county where the county is the sole distributor of alcoholic beverages, so a lot of beers are hard to find. I have to cross into Virginia to find Belhaven, for example.

I don't even know their status, but there are a couple of English ales I haven't had in ages, Old Bedford and Vaux Double Maxim.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

chas wrote:I live in a county where the county is the sole distributor of alcoholic beverages, so a lot of beers are hard to find. I have to cross into Virginia to find Belhaven, for example.

I don't even know their status, but there are a couple of English ales I haven't had in ages, Old Bedford and Vaux Double Maxim.
You gotta move, bud. That is living under tyranny. :D
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

hyldemoer wrote:
Loren, I drink what ever my husband is bottling.
Yes, me too :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.