Smartphones......... UPDATE....ta-daaaaaaaa!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah, I've heard 3G is a battery hog, but the new chip is supposed to help....

Regardless though, I don't spend hours and hours a day on the phone, and the nature of my job is such that download speed is more important than battery life, particularly as I'm close to an outlet more often than not, in case I need a quick battery top-off.

I could also really use the GPS at times.

The new iphone comes with a built-in toaster oven too doesn't it? I like my toast in the morning.....

Loren
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Am I the only one that thought smart phone was something like this?

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I.D.10-t wrote:Am I the only one that thought smart phone was something like this?

Yeah, that's my current model, but 99 tells me I'm a bit behind the technology curve and I need to get "with it".

Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have a phone for one reason. To call somebody if I need to ask them a question and for someone to call me if they have a question. No games, texting (snort), and enough memory to store the phone numbers. Why do people need more in a simple phone?
I guess it's just the curmudgeon in me.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I may be way off, here, but I think that there is a real change in today's society in that people are interacting with each other more. I know there are those who will disagree with that because the mode of communication is all electronic, but seriously, the technology exists, and is being used for, voice, Instant Messaging, texting, email, sharing images, music, tv shows, videos, etc. I don't know about you, but I was never in an analog world where I communicated so much with so many people in so many ways on so many topics.

It must be a sign of old age, but I personally find being so very available to so many people all the time really annoying. I like being unreachable. I like my peace-n-quiet times. I like being able to choose if and when I will communicate with anyone.

Got me a couple o' tin cans and some string ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I.D.10-t wrote:Am I the only one that thought smart phone was something like this?
I wonder what they'll do with that in the updated movie. Probably a trowaway
scene about Max needing to go see the tech department for an update.
Flyingcursor wrote:I have a phone for one reason. To call somebody if I need to ask them a question and for someone to call me if they have a question. No games, texting (snort), and enough memory to store the phone numbers. Why do people need more in a simple phone?
I resisted texting for awhile. But a friend started sending me texts, and I saw
how convenient it could be. You don't have the immediacy of a phone call.
The information will still be there when you have time to look at your phone.
And unlike a voice message, you do not have to go through the voicemail
system to get it, and you can scan the message easily for pertinent info (I hate
having to replay a voice message several times just to get the entire phone
number at the end).
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Flyingcursor wrote:I have a phone for one reason. To call somebody if I need to ask them a question and for someone to call me if they have a question. No games, texting (snort), and enough memory to store the phone numbers. Why do people need more in a simple phone?
When I was woodwind maker, my current phone was fine, as all I ever really needed the phone to do was, make and receive calls.

I currently work as a Personal Trainer and Kickboxing/Martial Arts instructor at a luxury Sports Club in Boston. Scheduling (and constant re-scheduling) is now something I need to be able to do on my phone. By that I mean I need an electronic calendar with scheduling capabilities on the phone.

Having all my clients phone numbers on my phone, at all times, is a must in case I get sick, have a flat on my bike while commuting to work or get stuck on the public transportation system and am not going to be able to make in for their appointments on time. I'd like to say this rarely happens, but here in Boston the Public transportation system has "issues", so when I get delayed I need those numbers at my finger tips instantly.

Most of my clients are doctors, lawyers, executives, and very very rich kids. The vast majority of these people prefer to communicate with me via either text or email, so now I need those options on my phone as well.

For my Boxing, Kickboxing, Martial Arts, and Fencing Students, it would often be helpful to be able to illustrate certain points with youtube or other video clips - "this is what happens when you drop your left hand during a right round kick - BOK!!! You get knocked out!!" The iphone's internet browser and video player with it's good sized screen will allow me to very quickly pull up fight clips and such, which is important when clients are paying $100. an hour for their training sessions.

I will also be able to use the iphone to shoot photos and short video clips of clients so they can see what they are doing right/wrong with regards to movement and form. Photo/Video analysis is a very powerful tool that I otherwise wouldn't be able to utilize much, but the phone should allow me to have quick and easy access to this.

I don't really "need" the GPS, but boy have there been a bunch of times when it would have been helpful in this town. If you've ever driven in Boston, you'll know what I mean......

And finally, I need my tunes!!! So the phone HAS to have an MP3 player with itunes, etc. Now if Apple would just include a stereo microphone jack and put a decent audio recording application on the darn thing, then I could use it for recording my flute lessons and sessions too.
:swear:

Well anyway, that's why I actually need the darn thing. I'd rather save the money, but it's a cost of doing business for me, and it will actually make my life easier and put more money in my pocket in the long run.

Loren
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren wrote: And finally, I need my tunes!!! So the phone HAS to have an MP3 player with itunes, etc. Now if Apple would just include a stereo microphone jack and put a decent audio recording application on the darn thing, then I could use it for recording my flute lessons and sessions too.
I hear you on this one. When my prior phone died I bought a fairly cheap motorola from T-Mobile which has an MP3 player that accepts those mico SD cards (up to 2 GB...but I was cheap and bought a 1 GB which is only 1/2 full). I love not having to carry a seperate MP3 player with me at all times, and the speaker is good enough to use it as a mini-boom box. Appart from the tunes, my phone is primarily a phone with the rare text message when I'm trapped in day long meetings (texting is great for situations like that - discrete texting below the meeting table).

I had to buy a seperate digital recorder to get really good sound quality, though, for my flute lessons, and I'm really glad I did. The ability to slow down the tune up to 50% is invaluable.

Loren - it does sound like the Iphone would be good for you since you'll obviously actually use most of the features. I know Iphone owners who are simply after the "image" and to them it's just a phone...and an expensive one at that.

Eric
emmline

Post by emmline »

I actually really like texting as a way to keep in touch with my kids. It's like email, in that the receiver gets the message but can respond whenever it's convenient, but better than email because it's accessible more often. I prefer it to calling/leaving voicemail because writing fits me like an old glove, whereas speaking/audio takes a little bit of performance energy from me. That probably sounds weird unless you inherently know what I mean.

I also use my Centro for keeping track of what I have to do that day (calendar) and I write myself notes, and attach an alarm to bring that note to my attention later.

I have a Palm OS program installed called QuikBudget into which I input expenses as I incur them. Helps me keep track of spending categories and where I might be going overboard.

I use the calculator sometimes.
I use the built in address book not infrequently.
I installed a dictionary (which also helps when I play Scrabble--also installed--when I'm waiting around to pick up or drop off the kid, for example.)
I use it for an alarm clock when I'm traveling or just taking a nap and need a handy alarm.
Only occasionally do I use it to check my email, but I sometimes do.

I have posted to the Chiff from the Centro, but the browser is kind of crappy and slow, so it's rarely worth the bother.

Ironically, what my plain old phone had that the Centro does not (but I could probably get it,) that I miss is a converter for weight/volume/temp/length from metric to other, etc.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Although it's true that 3G is a battery hog, leaked screenshots of the new iphone show that you'll be able to toggle 3G on and off. This way, you can use the speedier 3g network when you're performing data tasks like surfing and downloading, and revert to regular battery use during your other tasks if you prefer.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Have you looked at the brand new Blackberry Bold? Just released a few weeks back I believe. Supposed to be a relatively new take on the previous BB designs. All reviews so far seem to speak relatively highly of it.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Far as I know, the Bold is not actually available yet, but I'm interested in seeing once it actually shows up in stores.

The Samsung Instinct also looks promising. These are all due in June, along with the iphone 2, so hopefully my current phone will hold on long enough that I can check them all out before making a choice. Much of my decision will come down to price though: If the Bold and iphone 2 are up in the $400-$500 range Then I might as well look to the Nokia N95....

Loren