GREAT CLIP OF A CHEAP FLUTE

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

GREAT CLIP OF A CHEAP FLUTE

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

I found this clip on youtube, link is below, if you read the feedback there are a few references to what the flute might be, all are wrong and the guesses are that its a high ender, its actually a dixon two piece, I thought it was when I first viewed the clip, and have to admit I was amazed.

I know there is some added reverb? or similar padding, but all the same its a great sound, I think the notation is availabel from Rhondas web page.

sponge :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ybaYNLo ... re=related
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Excellent player + good soundperson = Doesn't matter what flute you are playing, anything will sound good.

Loren
P.S. Dixon's cone bore flutes aren't really that cheap any more, at least over here.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Aha, that's how you're supposed to wear those hats. I played at a Midwinter Feaste this year and felt like I had a "'Roid Ring" on my head the whole time. Dang, if I'd done it right I'm SURE I would have sounded just like her, even on my three-piece wooden flute ... and more important looked like her, too!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Okay, back to the topic. Yup, good players, being totally familiar with their instruments no matter what kind .... it seems to be a historical recipe for success. Thanks for the post!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I posted it on the yerTube thread, back on page 8 :)
Loren wrote:Excellent player + good soundperson = Doesn't matter what flute you are playing, anything will sound good.
she is indeed
there ain't nothing that'll replace a good soundperson :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Very mediaeval amplification, reverb and spotlight! (And probably nylon tights too!!!!!). The playing is pretty nice, though, if a tad milking the mulch factor. I checked out a couple of her other YouTube clips - she's no slouch on Boehm flute either.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

Not to be too cynical, but the audio in the video doesn't quite match up with her fingers. Maybe it is just the video, but if it is "flute-synching" then it is pretty easy to get that warm reverby sound in the studio with some good mics and a good engineer.

But definitely agree with the overall point. A good player sounds good on any instrument.

B
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I always find that my sound improves a lot when I have plenty of room to stroll around and a spotlight following me while I play. A long flowing blue robe doesn't seem to add anything to my playing, though. But maybe that's just me.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

BrendanB wrote:Not to be too cynical, but the audio in the video doesn't quite match up with her fingers. Maybe it is just the video, but if it is "flute-synching" then it is pretty easy to get that warm reverby sound in the studio with some good mics and a good engineer.

But definitely agree with the overall point. A good player sounds good on any instrument.

B
It's youtube. The sound is always a little out of synch with the video.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I think I posted these before, but these clips were played on one of those no-name German antique student flutes from the 1870s, the ones that everyone tells you to avoid because they sound so bad and are out of tune:

http://www.firescribble.net/Taladh.mp3

and

http://www.firescribble.net/ThaMi.mp3
Cork

Re: GREAT CLIP OF A CHEAP FLUTE

Post by Cork »

Hi, sponge!

Nice clip!

Try this one, by the same artist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWKdJdKV ... re=related

Bravo, she is good!

:-)
Denny

Re: GREAT CLIP OF A CHEAP FLUTE

Post by Denny »

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

gets scary at 2.00 :o
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

johnkerr wrote:I always find that my sound improves a lot when I have plenty of room to stroll around and a spotlight following me while I play. A long flowing blue robe doesn't seem to add anything to my playing, though. But maybe that's just me.
Yeah, and one of them there whopee cushions probably would not look as good on your head as on hers either. :D
Cork

Post by Cork »

Othannen wrote:
gets scary at 2.00 :o

Beyond anything scary, there's something else to note.

For instance, watch her eyes.

Her eyes wander, yet she's not looking outwards, but inwards, into the music.

Very well!

:-)

Edit: Of that clip, notice that while she plays, her lower lip NEVER leaves the flute.

Also, while kool kats may play "down", she plays in the classical, "up" position, flute horizontal, of which there are technical benefits.

And, once a piece is known, it's simply easier to play with one's eyes closed, but that's a performance no-no, as kool kats wear dark shades!

;-)
Last edited by Cork on Thu May 29, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Björn

Post by Björn »

Silly clothes and a ghastly vibrato. In a word - dreadful.