OT: Top 10 Mispellings of "subscribe"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

If I had a dime for every moron who insists on spelling my name "rebbeca"....

:mad:
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

For a minute, I couldn't sign on to the board and almost had a panic attack thinking the servers had gone down again... whew! ::wiping brow::

I've also had lots of variations on my name pronunciation, the worst being an intentional one from a grade-school boy. But we won't go there again. :razz: In case anyone wanted to know, my name is pronounced more like On-dray-uh; I'll answer to An-dree-uh, but will ignore you if you pronounce it An-dray-uh. :wink:

My hubby's irritation is when people insist on spelling his name Micheal, when it's Michael.

Okay, well that was more than anyone wanted to know, I'm sure...

Andrea ~*~ :lol:
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

On 2002-12-11 13:40, TelegramSam wrote:
If I had a dime for every moron who insists on spelling my name "rebbeca"....

:mad:
Geez, and I thot yer name was Sam!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-12-11 14:26, The Weekenders wrote:
Geez, and I thot yer name was Sam!
Right. Now you see the problem ? :razz:
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

On 2002-12-11 09:09, jim_mc wrote:
I, for one, have been waiting with baited breathe for the retrun of the speling cop.

I was around and I was maliciously accused of being said Spelling Cop after someone noted that my spelling was impeccible. Talk about circumstantial evidence.) I used to proofread after typing a post. Now, I don't have time for that.
Tony
edited to proffread. just kiding.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2002-12-11 15:08 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-12-11 12:55, amar wrote:
I know someone by that name too, the name's from Finnland, right?
Kerry Bodhran ? Gotta be Eirin-Ougric roots...

BTW, Cees. You say your nickname derived from Seesee, so from now I'll know better. I used to mentally pronounce your name as Kééss. Cees is a common enough Dutch and Flamish name... I guess it's a diminutive for a Christian name, but dunno which.
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Yes, Zub, I can see where the nickname gets mispronounced. I probably should've started spelling it "Sees" way back when, but I liked the look of "Cees" better. :smile:
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Ah, Cees--I kind of envy you. You'd think with a moniker like mine I'd end up with a workable nickname but nothing seems to have stuck. Well, "Maggie" worked for some people for a while, but I never liked it and these "friends" were very manipulative. It wasn't just my name they were trying to change.

Anyway, "Marguerite" came to me third-hand. We called my maternal grandmother Marguerite by the nickname "Rita" while my mother Marguerite was always called "Peggy." The full-blown version stuck with me and now that I'm "of a certain age," I think I may be stuck with it.

But sometimes people just call me "Em." I can live with it. :grin:

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Mac is usually short for something. Mc is usually the start of something.
My name is Mack--short for nothing, so the dendency is to lengthen it or to make it plural (as in Max). I stopped Jack from calling me that! I also stopped Phill from calling me macadamian, by making a nut out of his name. Several have asked me for my first name, Mr. McKoover. So as you can see, I am no longer sensitive about what insensitive folks want to call me.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

My last name is Walsh, which I think is pretty basic as well as fairly common. In fact there are several Beth Walshes in the rural area where I live (another one besides me goes to the same vet and has a cat with a similar name as mine, and they always pull the wrong chart whenever I am there, but I digress). Anyway, it always surprises me the inventive ways people come up with to spell Walsh. Most common is Welsh, which is pretty close and the origin of the name, but I also have seen
Welch
Walshe
Walsch
Walsche
Walstch
Waltsch

(I haven't gotten Waltz yet, but I have a feeling that may be next).

Beth
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-12-11 21:46, mvhplank wrote:
Ah, Cees--I kind of envy you. You'd think with a moniker like mine I'd end up with a workable nickname but nothing seems to have stuck.
What about shortening it to just Plank, Maxie ?
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-12 04:06, Zubivka wrote:
On 2002-12-11 21:46, mvhplank wrote:
Ah, Cees--I kind of envy you. You'd think with a moniker like mine I'd end up with a workable nickname but nothing seems to have stuck.
What about shortening it to just Plank, Maxie ?
Well, "Plank" isn't the name I was born with but easier on the whole than my maiden name of Haralson. (No one ever got that one right.)

I'll take "Planxty," though :grin:

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cees, I have two sisters who still go by names I called them when I was little. The more interesting is Chree (I pronounced Christine as Chree-Chree).

Planxty, I have a neice Margarite (named after my grandmother Marguerite, go figger) who goes by Maggie. I had a friend named Marguerite in college who went by Mike, which I thought was a really cool and creative nickname, but couldn't convince my bro and SiL to call my neice that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
serpent

Post by serpent »

mvh, how about "Margie"?

Still, I'd think you'd want to either lay or vocally deny claim to that "Maggie" made famous by one Rod Stewart...

:grin: Just a thought. Nobody misspells or mispronounces "serpent". Nobody dares...

serpink
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Well Mr Serpant, since it's a dare...