Fake Names

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fake Names

Post by mutepointe »

Does anyone else use fake names? I have a name that is considered a common regional name but where I live now, I have to repeat, spell, and repeat my name before folks get it.
When I order take out food and they ask for my name, I say it's Bob.
When I need to make reservations at a restaurant, I use my wife's maiden name. It's totally common and gender neutral and a name I am inclined to respond to so as not to miss my table.
When I run across a person that I want to avoid in the future, I have a fake name and even a fake occupation.
Then I got this really cool nic that I use on the internet. I used to have a different nic but it made people suspicious of me.
I do use my real name in real life. That counts.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't use a fake name, per se, but people who know me from discussion forums tend to call me by some form of my netnick (usually either "Red," or, for those who knew me back in my VegSource days, "Erbie")

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

We have a bar and grill where you pay at a counter and they announce your name. Eric, for some reason, is far too difficult a name for these people...so I routinely make up names. Thrud is a particular favorite...hard to go wrong with Thrud.

Eric
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I don't use a fake name at all, but I've found that when people that know me as "Izz" on the internet would rather use that when talking to me ;) I've gotten to the point that I'll even answer to it now :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

izzarina wrote:I don't use a fake name at all, but I've found that when people that know me as "Izz" on the internet would rather use that when talking to me ;) I've gotten to the point that I'll even answer to it now :lol:
That's interesting because I think of you as "Izz". I think of everyone here by their handle.
For example when I met Missy I had a hard time not calling her Missy.
The same with Martin.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My last name is very difficult and my wife's is even worse, not that either is long. So when making reservations or something I just give them Charles, which for all they know, could be my last name.

When I was in college, we used to always give Firesign names whenever we ordered take-away. The names I remember using most often were Chromehunger and Flapdoodle ("Funny Namer, eh?"). We didn't call in that often, but I thought the people at Luigi's had picked up on us (we'd been using them for a couple of years at that point). But one day we showed up for a couple of pizzas and some spaghetti and the woman behind the counter said in her broken English, very apologetically, that she thought Flapdoodle was a joke. One guy with me said, "Geez, Bernie, I told you we should have given them my name!" to which someone replied, "Buzz, I suppose you've never had a problem with Chromehunger?"

I actually felt pretty bad, but we went next door and got a couple of beers (where we were headed anyway) and we got our Italian food and they got their money and they knew after that that if they got any Funny Names, it was probably us.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Whenever Mrs ChasR's boss goes to a chain restaurant ,& theres a wait, he gives his name as 'ELVIS'...

"Elvis?' Table for Elvis?" :party:

fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

My college buddy whose last name is Dill, married a girl whose last name was Hamm. Talk about bad puns/jokes....

grammar, grammar
Last edited by fel bautista on Fri May 23, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I have a trail name. It's Piper. I'm hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I've walked about 315 miles now. I still have a hard time responding to that name. I picked that name because it's both a bird and someone who plays a pipe. I have my whistle with me and play it alone in my tent with only the birds to keep me company or when I take breaks on the trail. People seem to like it. There are about 300 people hiking the trail and I bump into many of them almost every day.

I've heard of people having cool coffee names so when they get their name called out at Starbucks it's a cool name.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I am fortunate to have an utterly charming and melodic name, so I just use it. :D
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Oh, and when my best friend and I go canoeing, I call him Louis and he calls me Clark. Sometimes people we meet up with think that is such a coincidence.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Fake Names

Post by Walden »

mutepointe wrote:Does anyone else use fake names? I have a name that is considered a common regional name but where I live now, I have to repeat, spell, and repeat my name before folks get it.
So what is a regional name? Cleon?
Reasonable person
Walden
Cork

Post by Cork »

sbfluter wrote:I have a trail name. It's Piper. I'm hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I've walked about 315 miles now...
Glad to see that you have gone some miles, congratulations!

And, it's good to hear that you have some company on the trail.

YAY!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cork wrote:
sbfluter wrote:I have a trail name. It's Piper. I'm hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I've walked about 315 miles now...
Glad to see that you have gone some miles, congratulations!

And, it's good to hear that you have some company on the trail.

YAY!
Yes! How are you still managing to post?
Cotelette d'Agneau
Bubbie

Post by Bubbie »

I don't know if this counts. When we go to a restaurant and they ask for a name before being seated, we tell them the name is difficult to pronounce and that we will spell it for them. We say it's spelled "C-O-M-M-U-N-I-S-T".

Sure enough, several minutes later when our table is ready, they will announce, "Communist party of 6, your table is ready."
Caveat: See 'em play before you swallow what they say.
Bubbie