Whistles for sale to finance a set of small pipes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vaporlock
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vaporlock »

Just like a supernova, my whistle collection has grown large enough that it can no longer support itself...it is now destined to implode. Besides, I want to get a set of small pipes, so I need the $$. Shipping for each whistle will be an additional $5. Contact me via email

Overton low D - $150
*Sindt D - $80
*Sindt C (brand new)- $85
*Sindt Bb (brand new)- $90
Chieftain Gold low A - $55
Chieftain Aluminum C - $50
*Dixon wide bore low E - $40
Dixon low D - $40
*Dixon low G $35
*Sweetheart C (not sure what wood) $30

*DENOTES TUNABLE
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Update:
All three Sindts are spoken for
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Update:
The Chieftain Gold A is taken
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

So what kind of smallpipes are you getting, Vapor?

Stuart
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

That's a good question, Stuart. Right now I am vascilating between the Gibson Fireside pipes($699), the Gibson Ceilidh pipes ($599) and the Highland Circus Fairylore Full Metal ($695). I haven't been able to hear a sound clip of the Ceilidh pipes yet (I sent Gibson an email), but their price certainly makes them attractive. I like the sound of the Fairylore pipes the best.

Gibson link to both types
http://www.gibsonpipes.com/products/sma ... /index.htm

Highland Circus link
http://www.highlandcircus.com/pipes.html

You can hear the Fairylore here:
http://www.piping.on.ca/products/instru ... /index.htm (brianormond
turned me on to this link)
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Just to keep the options open for the smallpipes, I wanted to stick my oar in about mine.

I have a set of Walsh Shuttlepipes. I opted for the 3 drone setup. Lovely pipes. The play in actual concert pitch instead of "bagpipe A." I love these pipes.

My dad is buying a set of Walsh's mouthblown smallpipes. Also in A, so the chanter will be identical to mine, but with the 3 drones in the common stock. Walsh also makes these in D.

Just trying to keep the pipe-lust alive. I have three different sets of pipes and still want more. Urg.

-Patrick
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Darn, that was quick! :smile:
weepiper

Post by weepiper »

I don't want to seem pedantic, but technically the Gibson Fireside/Ceilidh/Highland Fairylore type pipes are parlour pipes, not small pipes.... that is they're like a standard set of Highland pipes to look at (three drones tied in separately, which go up over your left shoulder). Small pipes are more usually bellows-blown (although there are some mouth-blown ones too) and have three or more drones all coming out of a single stock which generally go across the player's chest to his/her right.

Have you given any thought to saving up a bit more and getting a bellows-blown set? They are more expensive, but in my opinion generally have a nicer tone because they can use cane reeds (I think all the ones you mentioned above use plastic reeds like a practice chanter?). The bellows takes a bit of time to learn but once you have got over that you can play for much longer than with mouth-blown and there is hardly any maintenace to be done. Have a look at http://www.scottishsmallpipes.com - I have a set of his cheaper pipes, he makes a set from delrin or similar plastic for £625 which includes some extra stuff like a proper case etc.

P.S. I have no anti-mouthblown agenda, I have a set of Highland pipes (and a set of border pipes) too :smile:
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

On 2002-12-12 03:59, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Darn, that was quick! :smile:
The D and C were gone about 60 seconds after I pressed the submit button to post the message. The Bb took forever....about 2 minutes. I wish ALL my whistles were Sindts!! I've received only 2 emails about any of the other whistles. It looks like they're going to end up on ebay :sad:
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

On 2002-12-12 10:37, weepiper wrote:
I don't want to seem pedantic, but technically the Gibson Fireside/Ceilidh/Highland Fairylore type pipes are parlour pipes, not small pipes....
Thanks you for correcting me. It's better that I make that mistake here, behind the mask of anonimity, than in public in person!!

The Gibson Ceilidh pipes have the three drones mounted in the same stock that go across the chest. I've still yet to hear them played though (I suspect that the folks at Gibson are trying to record something as we speak).

I looked at the Ian Kinnear small pipes page. Those silver/blackwood sets are beautiful! I listened to some of the sound samples.....WOW!!! that guy can play!!! Alas, the way my whistle sale is going I'll be lucky if I'll be able to afford a bamboo Didgeridoo! I would prefer a bellows blown pipe, but they seem much more expensive than the mouthblown pipes. Whatever I end up getting though, has to compete moneywise with a 4 stroke outboard motor that I need much more than a set of small/border/shuttle pipes!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Vap,
looks like you didn't get and email I sent you yesterday. I am sending it again, and please check your pm.
/Bloomfield
weepiper

Post by weepiper »

hey vaporlock, have you seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =929805458

more in your price range than the Kinnear pipes? :smile:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-12-13 15:27, Bloomfield wrote:
Vap,
looks like you didn't get and email I sent you yesterday. I am sending it again, and please check your pm.
What? {ears tilting forward, whiskers spread} is someone submitting to WhOA? Hmmmm?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Thanks to all who participated in this thread...and especially to those who bought whistles!! I just ordered a set of Walsh small pipes in "A" from Henderson Imports. This was based on comments from several people on the board....<i>and</i> price :smile:

Thanks for you help!
Eric
Dana

Post by Dana »

The whistle I purchased seems to be lost. Have any of the other buyers from this thread received their whistles? :???: