Firefox negatives?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Firefox negatives?

Post by tansy »

this browser was highly recommended to me from a friend yesterday. He said it was far superior to Internet Explorer, any thoughts on this?
shy the blond water
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

While not as emotively savvy as Peter, I love Firefox. My wife continues to use IE simply because she is accustomed to it.

Just give it a try...can't hurt...and I'd be willing to bet you won't go back.

Eric
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I use both professionally. I prefer Firefox.

I do occasionally find a website that does not work with Firefox but that happens less and less these days. There are a couple of Firefox plugins that will launch IE on the same page you are viewing in Firefox, so even those websites are not a big deal.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
djm

Post by djm »

I prefer the features that Mozilla brings to web browsers first (previously Netscape and now Firefox) but I run into a lot of issues with Firefox, too. There seems to be no final solution to browsers.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tansy

Post by tansy »

well I'm gonna have a go at it. thanks for all the answers, especially Peter's :D
shy the blond water
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Firefox 3 RC1 has just been issued today - I have been using the version 3 beta quite happily. The only problem is that the unplug addon doesn't work with it.

Personally I use Firefox for virtually all my browsing, except for C&F. Opera (the 9.5 beta version) is what I use for C&F. You can get it here:-
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/

I find the fit to size facility available in Opera very handy when somebody posts large pictures, you just click the button and the post is resized to fit your window.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
emmline

Post by emmline »

I think you need a choice of browsers. I'm on Mac, where the installed default is Safari. There are many things, though, that I know will work better on Firefox, so I tend to do things like map programs (eg, Googlemaps,) on it. I rarely use IE.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I used IE for about six years. Then a friend introduced me to Firefox and I haven't gone back. The biggest reason for me is that you can open something in a new TAB, instead of a new WINDOW, and it keeps all those little clickies to a minimum. I'm the kind of person who reads a Wikipedia page and clicks a hundred times to open a hundred windows, so it helps.

There very well may be a way to do that on IE, though, but if there is I never figured it out...
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

emmline wrote:I think you need a choice of browsers. I'm on Mac, where the installed default is Safari. There are many things, though, that I know will work better on Firefox, so I tend to do things like map programs (eg, Googlemaps,) on it. I rarely use IE.
Emm- IE on the Mac is stuck at 5; Microsoft stop supporting it a while ago and gave up the ghost to Safari. I have a beef with the financial web sites that still want you to use IE6 as the only means of viewing the site.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It's good to have a choice of browsers. At last Safari is working on my Windows machine. Whew. I quite like Firefox. At work we have shifted to IE7, which I dislike because it's so SLOW! And the typescript is all blurry. Maybe it doesn't like my screen resolution. Too bad for it!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I find that Quicktime tends to make Firefox freeze up sometimes. Other than that, I love it. Also, with Adblock Plus and Flashblock installed, browsing is better than ever.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I use both IE and Firefox. Firefox is OK for day-to-day browsing (I wouldn't say it's superior to its brother Netscape, though). I can't get WebTV to work in it, though, so I use IE for that.

Having used both, I'd say that I prefer Firefox only because I'm used to using a Mozilla browser (I used Netscape for years), but I haven't really found it to be superior to IE.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
ketida

Post by ketida »

Jack (formerly Cranberry) wrote: friend introduced me to Firefox and I haven't gone back. The biggest reason for me is that you can open something in a new TAB, instead of a new WINDOW
Jack, if you like that feature of Firefox you really should look at this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2207

With this add-on, you can scroll over any link, pause, and a new temporary window will display the contents. Then, if you're not interested, just move the mouse and it disappears. If you are interested, you can lock it, open a new tab, or even send it to yourself or someone else. It's great, and free!
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Jack

Post by Jack »

ketida wrote:
Jack (formerly Cranberry) wrote: friend introduced me to Firefox and I haven't gone back. The biggest reason for me is that you can open something in a new TAB, instead of a new WINDOW
Jack, if you like that feature of Firefox you really should look at this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2207

With this add-on, you can scroll over any link, pause, and a new temporary window will display the contents. Then, if you're not interested, just move the mouse and it disappears. If you are interested, you can lock it, open a new tab, or even send it to yourself or someone else. It's great, and free!
Oooh, thank you. I will look into that.

I remembered that one small downside about Firefox I didn't like when I first switched was that you can't push CTRL+TAB and make the URL bar light up like you can in IE, but I've since gotten used to it.