Tunes for an A whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MusicalADD
antispam: No

Tunes for an A whistle

Post by MusicalADD »

Most tunes that I know on whistle are in D, Emin, and G, and I learned them on a D whistle. If I try them on my sweet, sweet brass A whistle, without changing the fingering, well... that's fine for me practicing by myself, but obviously, not appropriate for a session as that would be the wrong key as far as everyone else is concerned.

So, what tunes to folks tend to play, at session, on an A whistle?

Or do you tend to not take your A whistle to a session, as it's just not loud enough for that setting?

Here are some tunes that I've found fit nicely on my A whistle, in the correct key even. If anyone else has a similar list I'd like to see what tunes you've come up with. Or, if there's some simple methodology for "how to find good tunes for an A whistle" I'd love to hear it (but, bear in mind, my music theory is weak).

My favorite tunes for an A whistle:

Stool of Repentance (A) -- perfect. I think this one must have been written on/for an A whistle.

Humors of Glendart (D)

Calliope House (D) -- unfortunately, around here, when this comes up at session folks tend to play it in E, but I think some people play it in D

Dan Collins' Father's Favorite (D)

Kilavil (Emin) -- well, except for that one high note, but I can fudge that

And, just to prove I do occasionally play non-jigs:

The Hut on Staffin Island (D) -- a nice slower tune off an Alasdair Fraser/Natalie Haas CD

Eagle's Whistle

Glass of Beer (Bmin)

Anyone else have any choice tunes well suited for A whistles?
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

We sometimes play Ashoken Farewell in A.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon-M »

Farrell O'Gara
Silver Spire
Bear Island
Loftus Jones
Hut on Staffin Island
Mountain Road
Lady Anne Montgomery
Tommy

Re: Tunes for an A whistle

Post by Tommy »

MusicalADD wrote:

Or do you tend to not take your A whistle to a session, as it's just not loud enough for that setting?

I always have an A whistle at session. The key of A is the primary key it plays in, however with only one cross finger the A whistle plays in the key D. So no need to say fingers are to short for a low
D whistle.

Also by playing in the key of D on an A whistle there are some lower notes that can be reached. We play ''Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile'' with an A whistle because this version dips down to the bell note of A. The whistle I use is loud enough.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
kenny

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MusicalADD wrote:Or do you tend to not take your A whistle to a session, as it's just not loud enough for that setting?
Yes, that's right, but not because of volume. For ITM sessions you want a D whistle and a C whistle to cover the keys, and that's it. Maybe a low D for variety. In my experience, anything else is regarded as more a specialty or modern novelty, or if you want to solo while others sit out, or accompany a singer in an odd key.

That's not to say that it can't be fun and instructive to work out tunes on A and G whistle in standard session keys. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I don't know--sometimes the fiddles play in A (in the hopes of excluding whistle players???) and I like whipping out the A and joining them when I can.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

The Mason's Apron in A on an 'A' whistle, but for a bit of fun play it on a D whistle in the key of A then switch to Bm and watch the fiddle players faces!!
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Tommy wrote:Also by playing in the key of D on an A whistle there are some lower notes that can be reached.
This works well for dance tunes that have low notes too, provided they don't go too high. Examples are Mountain Road (play it in "G fingering" on your A whistle - it sounds a lot stronger in that register, and gives you the low B), Lafferty's Reel (play it as though it were in Am, ditto) and doubtless quite a few others.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm playing an A fife in an Old Time session.
Gets me A and also D, the latter is
very helpful.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

And I just noticed that Tom Billy's jig works pretty well on an A whistle. There are a couple of low G's that I can't reach, but that's not that big a deal to work around.

And it's so much easier on my ears, playing Tom Billy's on my A, instead of on a high D. Though I suppose that in a noisy session, my A would just get drowned out...
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

Niel Gow's Lament for the Death of his Second Wife can be played in its original key of D on the A whistle without any octave jumps.

I usually play it in G on a D flute because I think it works very well on the flute and the key suits the instrument, but if you want to play it with a fiddler, you just have to be able to play it in D :x

Geoff
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Other recent discoveries re: tunes that fit easily on an A whistle:

Big John McNeill's (reel)

Neilly O'Boyle (highland fling? not the reel) off Altan's first recording.

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2461

And it sounds like Neilly O'Boyle's reel will work just as well, but I haven't worked my way through it yet.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Tommy wrote:
MusicalADD wrote:

I always have an A whistle at session. The key of A is the primary key it plays in, however with only one cross finger the A whistle plays in the key D. So no need to say fingers are to short for a low
D whistle.

Also by playing in the key of D on an A whistle there are some lower notes that can be reached. We play ''Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile'' with an A whistle because this version dips down to the bell note of A. The whistle I use is loud enough.
Which note do you start on, and which do you have to cross finger and how??
Please excuse my limited intelligence)

Riverman
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Contentment is Wealth sounds great with an A.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan