Poll: Flute Forum Stickies

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Which of the following should be eliminated as a sticky on the flute forum?

Poll ended at Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 am

Posting Clips
15%
The Great & Awesome Flute YouTube Thread
8%
Flute Photos!
7%
78RPM Flute recordings available online
23%
None of the above. Thanks for your concern, Dale, but, we need all of these stickies.
48%

Total votes: 61

LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

what about doing something in between? i mean, there can be a single post that puts together the less active threads (pakistani, 78 rpm flute recordings, makers list, flute pictures), and the other more active ones can remain sticky...
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I didn't know this was a democracy, but my vote would definitely be for a single, locked sticky with links to the current stickies, and possibly a few others that might be helpful to newcomers. It might also be possible to inclde a short statement of the purpose of each of these threads since not everyone seems to agree on that (e.g. youTube and posting clips cross posting.)

I find the current opening page of the forum a pain trying to find where the first real post is without having to look too closely...

Chris
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

ChrisCracknell wrote:I find the current opening page of the forum a pain trying to find where the first real post is without having to look too closely...
Well, I don't know that they're exactly a pain, since I just look past them for the first new post. The stickies are clearly marked with this: Image as opposed to one of these:Image, Image, or Image, and they have the word "Sticky:" at the front, but there do seem to be more of them than there used to be.

However, since I seldom look at the stickies, it would certainly be more convenient for me as a member to have a single topic to ignore rather than a half dozen or so. :D

On the other hand, I do occasionally take a look at one of another of them if I notice any activity. If the headers were housed within a single sticky at the top, then I'd have to go into that topic to see whether there had been any activity on any of them.

I guess that doesn't help make a decision, does it?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Dow Said:
On the other hand, I do occasionally take a look at one of another of them if I notice any activity. If the headers were housed within a single sticky at the top, then I'd have to go into that topic to see whether there had been any activity on any of them.
But if one of the sticky threads had had some activity then it would be quite high up on the list of current threads wouldn't it?
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep and the thread would be marked with a Image and be at the top of the none stickies though
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Well, there you go, guys... making sense again. Why didn't I think of that? :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
roj
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

This is kind of what I had in mind, with abreviated titles on the main page stickie, and full titles (Great and Awesome Flute Youtube Thread, etc.) on the stickie page.

Stickie Page: Including Posting Clips...Flute Makers...Flute Youtube Thread...Flute Photos!...Pakistani flutes...78 rpm flute recordings...
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

I don't know if anyone has said this already.

I have voted that the posting clips is removed as a sticky.

REASON: searches for particular players, tunes etc within 'posting clips' doesn't work. All that you get is the list of eighty something pages (at present) and you would then need to search each page till you find. I just tried and gave up.

I think it would be much more usefull to post these clips as stand alone threads. It would then mean they can be found using search.

Kevin
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Well, of all the stickies in question, I'd say the "Posting Clips" one should be the last to go. It's an active, vital part of this forum, and shouldn't be delisted because of a lack of searchability that could be ascribed to any thread here. I'd be for adding a "search this thread" tab to all threads, something which many other forums using the same software offer. Problem solved. Cheers,

Rob

p.s. Hey Hey, Ho Ho, the Pakistani flute thread has got to go!
G1

Post by G1 »

Hmmm...

Well, it would seem that all the stickies are valid or there would not be so many posts in them... and new arrivals to this forum do find all of these topics invaluable.

In this 'I want it handed to me on a silver & blackwood platter now' computer age, I suppose it is a greaaat imposition to have to look past six threads to get to the current (and much more important) thread just posted about ear wax and axle grease; however the idea of one thread containing all stickies is probably the solution that will appease the greater number of regular readers.

'Posting Clips' is absolutely lovely, and an inspiration to aspiring players; 'Pakistani Flutes' has saved the uninformed from wasting hard-earned money - and explains why, more importantly.

Surely this cannot be ignored on a forum that teaches and informs so many... even old dogs trying to learn new tricks. Woof!

Edit: I would like to see a way to search out all clips by a particular player.
Last edited by G1 on Sat May 17, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
dontf

stickies

Post by dontf »

leave them as they are! i rarely consult them, but why does everything always have to change? :boggle:
huffin' and puffin'
michael c

Post by michael c »

I see that the post pointing to some of the finest recordings of traditional flute playing which are available is the one which has by far the highest percentage of banishment votes in this poll. Are there a lot of hackers who hate flute playing voting or does the lack of frills in the playing offend the people who want rid of the link to these recordings?

Maybe just a straightforward link to the site where the recordings are would be as handy as a "thread" but it would be a shame to banish such a useful resource from this place. The site pointed to also contains a wealth of material on instruments other that the flute. Maybe the people who want rid of it might like them better than the flute music.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Rob Sharer wrote:Well, of all the stickies in question, I'd say the "Posting Clips" one should be the last to go. It's an active, vital part of this forum, and shouldn't be delisted because of a lack of searchability that could be ascribed to any thread here. I'd be for adding a "search this thread" tab to all threads, something which many other forums using the same software offer. Problem solved. Cheers,

Rob
Yes if 'search this thread' can be provided it would be really usefull , for all threads,and solve the problem.
If this isn't possible I don't see too much reson why unsticking 'Posting clips' should make the posting of clips any less active? Anyone posting could post as a stand alone and include 'posted clip' etc in the thread tile.

I would much prefer the first option of 'search this thread' though.

Kevin
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

gorjuswrex wrote: If this isn't possible I don't see too much reson why unsticking 'Posting clips' should make the posting of clips any less active?
Could you explain what it is about seeing the Clips sticky up there that's bothering you?
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Rob Sharer wrote:
gorjuswrex wrote: If this isn't possible I don't see too much reson why unsticking 'Posting clips' should make the posting of clips any less active?
Could you explain what it is about seeing the Clips sticky up there that's bothering you?
Just that the string is too big to search (without the 'search this string' option) . For example one time I wanted to find the clips left by one player and had to search manually through the string. Think of newcomers wanting clips from players or certain tunes, and the string getting bigger all the time.

Kevin