So what's the deal with "tweaking"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kennychaffin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So what's the deal with "tweaking"

Post by kennychaffin »

By that I mean, if there are issues with whistles that require tweaking, why don't the manufacturers just incorporate the process into the production line?

I would think it could be quite lucrative as far as making more money, eh?

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Most tweaked whistles don't 'require' the treatment. Some people just have the irrepressible urge to change them into something different.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

What makes a good whistle is very subjective.

Some people like a sweeter sound, some prefer more complexity.

Some folks like a whistle that will take a good solid blow; others want a whistle that you can barely breath into.

Yet again, some folks like a whistle that's a bit louder; others want them softer.

So if the maker of Feadog whistles (just to name a common, inexpensive whistle) were to change their design to make their whistle sweeter and to be blown softer, some would thrill over the change, but others--including some fine musicians--would lament it.

Thus, people buy inexpensive whistles and start tweaking them. Some folks are pretty good at this; others less so.

I used to be a tweaker; lately, though, I prefer my inexpensive whistles with a bit stronger (i.e. chiffier and even a bit raspy) sound, so I leave 'em alone and just play.

If I want a more polished sound and feel, I've got some more expensive whistles that do that much better than any tweaked cheapie.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jim stone

Re: So what's the deal with "tweaking"

Post by jim stone »

kennychaffin wrote:By that I mean, if there are issues with whistles that require tweaking, why don't the manufacturers just incorporate the process into the production line?

KAC
We;ve asked. Generation says that they're making lots of
money as is, so why change? What we asked is will they increase
quality control.

Some of the tweaked whistles are extraordinarily
good, Jerry Freeman's, for instance; being
the Gen or Feadog or whatever you always dreamed
of finding. They're as good as much more expensive
whistles but true to the originals. And they're cheap.
kennychaffin

Re: So what's the deal with "tweaking"

Post by kennychaffin »

jim stone wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:By that I mean, if there are issues with whistles that require tweaking, why don't the manufacturers just incorporate the process into the production line?

KAC
We;ve asked. Generation says that they're making lots of
money as is, so why change? What we asked is will they increase
quality control.

Some of the tweaked whistles are extraordinarily
good, Jerry Freeman's, for instance; being
the Gen or Feadog or whatever you always dreamed
of finding. They're as good as much more expensive
whistles but true to the originals. And they're cheap.
Yeah, that was sorta my assumption, and I guess as long as people keep buying them, then why change.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I use to know some tweakers back in high school... :lol:
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
emtor

Post by emtor »

By that I mean, if there are issues with whistles that require tweaking, why don't the manufacturers just incorporate the process into the production line?
Some of the whistle producing factories don't produce whistles only.
Manufacturers like Barns and Mullins (Generation whistles) probably churn out all kinds of plastic products. Why should they improve anything as long as the company's stock owners are happy with the money they make.
Most tweaked whistles don't 'require' the treatment.

Well, in some cases they really do. There are many pitfalls in the pressure casting process used when manufacturing the fipples.
Generation whistles are known for having quality issues, which can be traced back to common problems in the manufacturing process.
The reason why some Gens sound great, while others are very squeaky is probably due to warping of the plastic as the fipples are ejected from the pressure molds. Another thing to be noted with Generation fipples is a non-uniform wall-thickness. This can probably be traced back to worn molds.
If a whistle suffers from manufacturing problems, and those problems are evident in how the whistles sound, then it requires some treatment.
Some people just have the irrepressible urge to change them into something different.
. . . or perhaps an irrepressible urge to fix undesired characteristics without changing them into something different?
Let's take the Feadog D whistle as an example:
This whistle is commonly known to have a gritty and "dirty" high-G note.
This grittyness of this note can be tamed to some degree with careful breath-control, but you will never remove the grittyness completely.
Careful tweaking will fix the high G-note, without removing the characteristic Feadog sound.
In this way you haven't changed the whistle into something different, you've just tamed a problematic note.

In some extent I agree with Peter Laban in that some things do not need to be changed. The basic sound of a Generation needs no tweaking, only the problems associated with poor quality control.
The basic sound of a Feadog doesn't need tweaking either, only the gritty high G-note.

My personal view on tweaking is this:
-Fix the flaws, and leave the basic sound alone.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

It costs too much to "tweak" every whistle in a manufacturing process. It would make the whistles to expensive to sell. Professional players can afford to have custom instruments made to their specific requirements but the "extra" features would not be accepted by the general public. The designer MUST find middle ground.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

There's very personal tweaking too, to make a whistle fit one's individual needs and desires and current situation.

For example, me:

I live in an apartment, so it's best that my whistles not be too loud, or need lots of push to hit high notes, or have high notes that are harsh and piercing. Perhaps if I were a more skilled whistler, I might be able to get sweet, un-shrill high notes out of a generic, factory-issue whistle, but I find that at my current skill level the most effective solution is to tweak the whistle a bit.

Also, I smoked for about 25 years, and my lungs are still recovering. Whistling is helpful as therapy and motivation, but I definiely don't have the breath power of someone with a virgin, healthy set of lungs. Tweaking the whistle can help lessen the air requirements (particularly on a Clarke Original).

So I tend to kinda personalize my whistles...
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

squidgirl wrote:There's very personal tweaking too, to make a whistle fit one's individual needs and desires and current situation.

For example, me:

I live in an apartment, so it's best that my whistles not be too loud, or need lots of push to hit high notes, or have high notes that are harsh and piercing. Perhaps if I were a more skilled whistler, I might be able to get sweet, un-shrill high notes out of a generic, factory-issue whistle, but I find that at my current skill level the most effective solution is to tweak the whistle a bit.

Also, I smoked for about 25 years, and my lungs are still recovering. Whistling is helpful as therapy and motivation, but I definiely don't have the breath power of someone with a virgin, healthy set of lungs. Tweaking the whistle can help lessen the air requirements (particularly on a Clarke Original).

Well, I don't remember the exact number, but I know I read somewhere that after 5 years? of non-smoking that lungs are pretty much back to normal.... on the other hand they do become less efficient with age....

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

squidgirl wrote: I smoked for about 25 years,

Hmmm.... . . . your avatar picture looks to be of a girl 16? So it is good that you took up with the whistle and fresh air.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

squidgirl wrote:.... Tweaking the whistle can help lessen the air requirements (particularly on a Clarke Original).

Oh, wait, I love my Clarke original (the sound and tone) and have ordered a couple more, but I'm afraid to do anything to it. Did you do the tweak yourself?

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Tommy wrote:your avatar picture looks to be of a girl 16?.
A girl's gotta love a photo that shaves off 30 years or so...
kennychaffin wrote:Oh, wait, I love my Clarke original (the sound and tone) and have ordered a couple more, but I'm afraid to do anything to it. Did you do the tweak yourself?
My first whistle was a Clarke Original that was pretty darn grumpy about it's second octave (granted, my lack of skill didn't help), and so I searched up all lthe posts I could find about tweaking a Clarke, and tried various forms of surgery, until I finally got it to play up to high G. But in pushing for it to go higher, I eventually killed it off and had to replace it. The current one just needed its windway mashed a bit.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

squidgirl wrote:
Tommy wrote:your avatar picture looks to be of a girl 16?.
A girl's gotta love a photo that shaves off 30 years or so...
kennychaffin wrote:Oh, wait, I love my Clarke original (the sound and tone) and have ordered a couple more, but I'm afraid to do anything to it. Did you do the tweak yourself?
My first whistle was a Clarke Original that was pretty darn grumpy about it's second octave (granted, my lack of skill didn't help), and so I searched up all lthe posts I could find about tweaking a Clarke, and tried various forms of surgery, until I finally got it to play up to high G. But in pushing for it to go higher, I eventually killed it off and had to replace it. The current one just needed its windway mashed a bit.
That helps.....I think..... :)

Thanks!
KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

The secret to tweaking is to stop just before you kill the damn thing. :lol: