Getting started

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mandolingirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mandolingirl »

Thank you all for comments and links! Redwolf, you have explained everything so well!!!! I've read quite a few explanations on whistles and how to do things on the whistles, but I've never really understood what they meant. But now I finally do understand. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Maybe I should look for another D whistle. But I'll try to bathe my Feadog first and see what happens. Next summer I may be going to a whistle workshop and I suppose it's good to have a functioning D whistle then.

I actually have a Bill Ochs book, bought it a few years ago but haven't used it much yet, I've played mostly by ear. I'll see what he says too and go visit those websites too.
Mandolingirl

Post by Mandolingirl »

BTW, what exactly is a run on the whistle?
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-09 16:42, Mandolingirl wrote:
BTW, what exactly is a run on the whistle?
Same as in choral music...a run up or down the scale.

Glad I could help :smile:

Redwolf
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ha Ha, Here I am lurking away again and learning somemore stuff. You are something Redwolf. Thanks. Today when I got back from a little ride with Molly I took out all my whistles and lined them up and played two tunes on each. I have a couple of Sweetones D and C an Oak in D a meg in C a Clark old style in C a Gen in Bb and my little black guinness whistle whitch I forget who makes.
After I played the two tunes I knew pretty well I tried a tune I am just trying to learn. Now each of these whistles sound completly different but that little black guinness whistle is the easest, sweetest little cridder I have. As far as learning new songs this is the one for me. Hardly any breath in either octave, very quite and tolerent. So I learn a tune on it and then play it on the other louder more fun whistles.
Now I`m checking my mail box dailey for my Dixon combo Low D. Yes I have the desease

Tom
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Blackbeer,

The Guiness (and the normal LBW) are made by Waltons in Ireland. Waltons make other whistles similar to Generations & Feadogs too, plus the Waltons Mello D which is favoured by some.

The Guiness is supposed to be no different to a normal LBW (with a black fipple) except in colouring, but I've heard before that they can be really nice. I tried one once that I bought to give as a gift, and it was fine. My own LBW is a tad sharp in the bellnote which is why I tend not to play it.

You may be interested to know that Andrea Corr is noted for favouring Waltons LBWs, probably because they're very cheap (the cheapest whistle till the Meg came along?) and she keeps losing them or giving them away.

Oh, to have a whistle touched by the lips of AC, droool.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2002-12-10 11:19, Martin Milner wrote:

The Guiness is supposed to be no different to a normal LBW (with a black fipple) except in colouring, but I've heard before that they can be really nice.
I have a LBW and a Guinness, and my Guiness has a much more pleasing sound to my ear. I don't know if this is a difference between the whistles, or a quality control issue, or my subconcious saying that anything associated with Guinness <b>has</b> to be good. :wink:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I bought a Guiness whistle once and it was the worst, most completely unplayable whistle I've ever had.... so just be aware that quality of whistles may vary greatly.
Best,
Chris
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Time to initiate a few more people into the great C&F Andrea Corr subculture:

More at
http://www.somethingabout.net/tinwhistle/

With apologies to Mairéad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roger O'Keeffe on 2002-12-10 11:55 ]</font>
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Holly smokes Roger; I knew there had to be some reason I like this little sweety. What a babe. I am in love........

Tom
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

...and that's just the whistle you're talking about, right?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
nickt

Post by nickt »

cripes mate
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

A ya of course, uuuu leather uuuu

Tom
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Tom, I have to warn you that AC is very poor eye candy compared to the cutie-pies we have on this site. In fact, that's probably why she doesn't post very often!

And that's just the guys...
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I`m old Martin and its all fanticy to me.

Tom