Condensation in the flute bore - Advice needed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

mahanpots wrote:. I have at times blown into the embouchure hole, but only because I saw Rob Sharer do it a few times, and he looked like he knew what he was doing.
I spend a great deal of time and effort trying to appear like I know what I doing. Glad to see it's paying off!

Rob
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

All good suggestions above, but a couple more/different ones:

You could always make sure the flute is tilted so the condensation runs out and do a lot more jumping up and down as you play. :)

Maybe only play in low humidity environments deserts, highlands, etc. :)
And/Or carry a de-humidifier with you to sessions.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

kennychaffin wrote:
You could always make sure the flute is tilted so the condensation runs out and do a lot more jumping up and down as you play. :)
Ahh, the Flatley Method.

Heck, if it will help me play as well as Michael does, I'll give it a go.

Loren
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Loren wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:
Ahh, the Flatley Method.

Loren
The good thing about this method is it ensures that what you're playing is danceable...otherwise you're likely to fall on your a$% or simply look like you have a seizure disorder.

Eric
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Loren wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:
Ahh, the Flatley Method.

Loren
Flatley is a great dancer, but possibly the worst "professional" player I have ever heard, and I've heard him play live. Sounds like falling down stairs. Save the jumping up and down for a pro like Ian Anderson.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Cubitt wrote: Flatley is a great dancer, but possibly the worst "professional" player I have ever heard, and I've heard him play live. Sounds like falling down stairs. Save the jumping up and down for a pro like Ian Anderson.
:)

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Cubitt wrote: Flatley is a great dancer, but possibly the worst "professional" player I have ever heard, and I've heard him play live. Sounds like falling down stairs. Save the jumping up and down for a pro like Ian Anderson.
Guess that's why he only took second in the All-Ireland Fleadh. Piker.

Rob
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Rob Sharer wrote:

Rob
Actually, I heard he'd won. So much for competitions, eh?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Cubitt wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote:

Rob
Or, more to the point, so much for your assessment of Michael flatley's flute playing. Cheers,

Rob
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Rob Sharer wrote:
Cubitt wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote: Guess that's why he only took second in the All-Ireland Fleadh. Piker.

Rob
Or, more to the point, so much for your assessment of Michael flatley's flute playing. Cheers,

Rob
Ah, well, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Have you ever heard him? If you fancy what he does, more power to you, but I thought his playing abominable, and at the time, I'd never heard of him, so had no preconceived notions. He was opening (as a flute player, not a dancer) for Battlefield Band some years back.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

My opinion doesn't enter into it. You may not like him, but he certainly can play or he wouldn't have won the Fleadh, now, would he? Words like "worst" and "abominable" tell me you've confused your own opinion with a realistic assessment of Flatley's skills, as proven in fierce competition. Maybe you don't like his style - why not just say that, rather than trying to imply that he can't play? Anyone can see that he's a accomplished player, whether he's tasteful or not. Cheers,

Rob
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Rob Sharer wrote:My opinion doesn't enter into it. You may not like him, but he certainly can play or he wouldn't have won the Fleadh, now, would he? Words like "worst" and "abominable" tell me you've confused your own opinion with a realistic assessment of Flatley's skills, as proven in fierce competition. Maybe you don't like his style - why not just say that, rather than trying to imply that he can't play? Anyone can see that he's a accomplished player, whether he's tasteful or not. Cheers,

Rob
Have you seen American Idol? or any of the bazillion rip off duplicates. They have winners too. :)

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Rob Sharer wrote:My opinion doesn't enter into it. You may not like him, but he certainly can play or he wouldn't have won the Fleadh, now, would he? Words like "worst" and "abominable" tell me you've confused your own opinion with a realistic assessment of Flatley's skills, as proven in fierce competition. Maybe you don't like his style - why not just say that, rather than trying to imply that he can't play? Anyone can see that he's a accomplished player, whether he's tasteful or not. Cheers,

Rob
I take your point. He's an accomplished player whose taste and style I do not recommend.
Last edited by Cubitt on Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Kenny A. Chaffin
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Michael Flatley on flute

Sounds pretty good to me. Fast forward for some faster playing. It starts out slow.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes