Can Mary Jane help your playing ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
wgority
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wgority »

Stevie Ray Vaughn maintained that his best playing was done after he was clean and sober. He said it was harder work, but that it was worth the effort.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

In my experience it has alot to do with what type of dope you smoke. Any of the black oily hashes like turkish black or templeball can give a very heavy hit that can put you in a state of mental and phyical paralysis,but some of the grasses can have a very pleasent light hit that would more conducive with creativity . Some Irish grown grass is very nice in this respect. The last time I was in Amsterdam I had some hash cake and that was also very nice.

I smoked alot in my late teens and early twenties but haven't bothered with anything like that in more that ten years, parenthood and all that !

I dont think getting stoned suits ITM ,but other types of music are maybe more suited, all the rastafarian guys seem to do alright on it !

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:I dont think getting stoned suits ITM ,but other types of music are maybe more suited, all the rastafarian guys seem to do alright on it !
Clearly you haven't ready Christy Moore's book One Voice.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

PJ wrote:Clearly you haven't ready Christy Moore's book One Voice.
No ,I haven't. So what does he say in relation to the topic ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

He seems to have smoked quite a bit in the '60s and '70s. I got the impression he did more smoking than drinking. I don't know if it had anything to do with his success in music but it certainly DIDN'T help his career as a bank clark. :wink:
PJ
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

rorybbellows wrote: I smoked alot in my late teens and early twenties but haven't bothered with anything like that in more that ten years
I haven't smoked dope since the late 80s, but being in BC teaches me that pot has changed a great deal over the past decade.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

s1m0n wrote:I haven't smoked dope since the late 80s, but being in BC teaches me that pot has changed a great deal over the past decade.
In what way?

It would seem here in Ireland that more people are taking harder drugs.
There is a cocaine epidemic going on at the moment that has claimed quite a few lives including a well known model Katie French .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

rorybbellows wrote:
s1m0n wrote:I haven't smoked dope since the late 80s, but being in BC teaches me that pot has changed a great deal over the past decade.
In what way?

It would seem here in Ireland that more people are taking harder drugs.
The pot I smoked topped out at about 3% THC. These days, hybrid hydroponic varieties (like BC's famed "Northern Lights") will produce buds with a 22% THC content when cultivated optimally.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

probably help you not play a tune too fast. :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Like, wow, man. A lot of missing biographical info for some posters is falling into place with this topic. :o
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

feck mary jane, go straight for the smack, sell the pipes, get more smack and youll think you are the tune. :lol:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

If you want to delve into the spirit world with music, I suggest shrooms or peyote. I bet you will get pretty deep in that music. 8)
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

well the (border) piper from this band www.myspace.com/tellingthebees is also an author on 'Shroom' A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom.
www.myspace.com/shroomthebook

Both book and new CD are great.
PJ

Post by PJ »

buskerSean wrote:well the (border) piper from this band www.myspace.com/tellingthebees is also an author on 'Shroom' A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom.
www.myspace.com/shroomthebook

Both book and new CD are great.
Honestly, I think this post should carry a notice warning people of the dangers of Border Piping. :wink:
PJ
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

rorybbellows wrote: Some Irish grown grass is very nice in this respect.
This reminds me of a lovely story: An Irish friend of mine lived in an area with many little hills. In the little valleys between these hills grew gorse and the cows couldn´t get in there. He had mowed down the middles of these gorse-patches and planted "Mary Jane" (wich we used to dry directly at his open fire - very nice indeed). One day though the cows had broken into these patches anyway and eaten the "Mary Jane". They had to pour the milk away and he had a job to explain it to the neighbours