Want to learn to play a whistle, what should I buy?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
deathfalls
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Want to learn to play a whistle, what should I buy?

Post by deathfalls »

I am very interested in learning to play a whistle, and have been doing a bit of searching to find what would be the best to purchase as a beginner. As I was looking, I see that some need tweaks to make them sound better (I mostly saw this in reference to the Generation whistles), but since I am new to this I don't think I would be able to do that myself.

I would appreciate some suggestions on brand, if you folks wouldn't mind. Honestly, I would really prefer to get a wooden whistle. From what I've heard, I like the sound a lot better. Although they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than a regular tin whistle. So I suppose I should just start with a tin whistle.

Any suggestions on where to purchase from would be welcome as well. I live in the U.S., although I guess that wouldn't really matter if I get one from an online store.

Thanks!
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

www.irishflutestore.com

You can get a tweaked whistle (by Jerry Freeman) from there.
People say that the "Mellow Dog" are great, you could by the set (1 head, and the C/D bodies) for a bit less than $50, I think.
Or you can buy a Clarke Sweetone, or a Generation...
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

If I could go back in time and give myself just one whistle as my first whistle, I'd choose the Dixon Trad.

edited to add:
You can get one here:
http://www.harpanddragon.com/pennywhistles.htm

It only costs about $30 with shipping, and is much more reliable than a random cheapie. I think it's tone is a nice blend of mellowness and chiff.
Boody

Post by Boody »

I second the trad. But don't worry, if you are anything like the rest of us, you'll end up with 20 whistles before you know it.
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Seriously? If I were to do it all over again (and I've been playing whistle for more than 30 years) I'd do what I did to begin with: Walk into any music store and buy a Generation. I've bought other Gens throughout the years, and I've never had any reason to change that opinion. Are there other whistles I prefer at this point in time? Yes. But for a beginner, I still thing a basic Gen is the way to go.

And look at it this way: It'll cost what...$15? How many other entry level instruments can you get for that kind of money? Why drop a couple of hundred bucks...or even 30 bucks...on something you don't even know if you'll like or not? One of the virtues of this instrument is it's cheap! Buy a Gen, decide if you like playing whistle or not, then start experimenting.

I have lots of different whistles (more than 20 at last count). Each has its strengths and its weaknesses. I still have the first Gen Eb I bought with my babysitting money when I was 15 years old (I don't play it much anymore...mainly because it's in an awkward key...but I learned a heck of a lot on it). When called on to play, I take them all out and try to decide which is the best for the job at hand. Heck...I'm playing at church this weekend, and I played several for my music director before he chose the one he liked best (and it wasn't my first choice, though it's been a favorite for other things in the past). There is no one, perfect, instrument. Go out...buy one. Play it for a while. Then buy another. Learn to like and respect each for its characteristics. Keep in mind that expensive doesn't necessarily mean best...nor, for that matter, does "cheap." "Tweaked" may be useful in one application, but not the best choice for another.

This really isn't the instrument that should require a lot of soul searching before a purchase. Go to your local music store and buy what they have. Learn to play it. Then decide what, if any, changes you would like to make and buy accordingly.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

I agree with Redwolf - buy a cheapie, learn the basics and find out what you like and don't like. Then buy another - and another - and . . . . . .. It's a great instrument, and as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, and you can't say that for many others! Good luck, and welcome to the board!
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Go and but the first whistle you find. In less tan a year you'll have lots of them, so don't worry about it right now.
taity

Post by taity »

i would go with the gen whistles to start cheap .Ive been at it about 6 months and i have 12 whistles so more will come. they all have there wee idiosyncrasies. :D
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
scheky

Post by scheky »

Redwolf has it right. The only thing I'd change is that I'd buy an Oak (same price typically) as I've gotten my hands on a couple amazing ones over the years.

The best part of a cheapie is that it forces you to start learning some breath control. That's one skill that will do you well for the rest of your whistle-playing life (and we NEVER quit playing).
deathfalls

Post by deathfalls »

Thanks to all for the responses! I will definitely be making a purchase soon.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

scheky wrote:Redwolf has it right. The only thing I'd change is that I'd buy an Oak (same price typically) as I've gotten my hands on a couple amazing ones over the years.

The best part of a cheapie is that it forces you to start learning some breath control. That's one skill that will do you well for the rest of your whistle-playing life (and we NEVER quit playing).
Yep. I'm relatively new to this whistle thing, but I ordered an Oak and a Clark traditional along with a couple of beginning whistle books from Amazon.com The Oak is a fine whistle, but I like the tone/sound of the Clarke best at this point in my whistling. Since that point I've acquired at least three other high D whistles including a generation which seems not quite as "good" as the Oak. I'm sure there are better and worse one's in all the cheap brands so I'm not saying Oak is better than Generation (particularly as they appear identical in construction) just that that is the case with the ones I got.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Gostrangely

Post by Gostrangely »

Park's Every Whistle, great price, fantastic finish, comparable to a lot of high whistles, tuneable, can be muted, several different barrels at only an extra $8 each, C, Eb, & D just intonation and easy to play across the octave.

You can't go wrong, and yes I'm a fan.
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

I'll agree with the Every Whistle.

It's still a steal and i really do need to get one soon myself. :)
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Oh, yes, I didn't think in that, d'oh.

I have a D/C/Eb Everywhistle set, and they're my 'every'day practicing whistle. I love the mute function and they're overall very nice and easy to play.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I've never seen an "Everywhistle." Is there a website?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!