Idol '08 thread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Archuleta did the best, but ONLY because all the performances were that bad last night. Nothing was really what I'd have called good. The praise that the judges heap over his two styles (bland rendition or schmaltzy and overdone) is just ridiculous.

Sure, he's a kid...we get it. He's not the best developed talent in the group, and he's SURE not a star. The boy will disappear faster than you can say...what was his name? He sang blues...hrm...I just don't remember that one, do you?
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ironically, Dreadhead actually SANG last night, with more of a full voice than his usual gaspy whisper close-to-mic. Which was weird. The Marley retort to the judges cracked me up. It was kinda hipper than thou on his part. Too bad we're not all reggae potheads, ya know? Then we'd get it. I think it's back to the carwash for him tonight.

Actually, tho' I am not a fan, Syesha was the most Idol-esque last night. The first song was cool because the frontmen of the band and she were groovin' along pretty good. That was enjoyable as spectacle. The second song was hammy but dangit, she sang it well.

Tickle Me Elmo, Jr. is about 70 years too late. He would be great on the radio, but it's starting to sink in that people are tired of looking at him. And no, life is not fair. And I still love his voice. If you did not have to look at him, you would say that has soul (as we used to say way back when) when he sings, though it's probably coached into him.

Cook was a bit disappointing but he's still damn good. I thought it was weird doing the Who song and I didn't think the arrangement worked.

This is not a good year for Idol. It reminds me of the Prez election choices.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I agree with you Weeks, almost point for point.
Actually, I kind of liked the Marley song.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

emmline wrote:I agree with you Weeks, almost point for point.
Actually, I kind of liked the Marley song.
I didn't think the Marley song was as bad as they made it out to be, either. He sang, as I said, rather than yelped. He changed it into something original, and it lost perhaps the essence of the reggae rhythm sound, but isn't that what they want??

But he remains outclassed, which I have felt all along. I still think Michael Johns should have been there over him last night, or Carly, for that matter.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I actually liked the Marley song too...but as he was singing, I told the Izzlets that the judges wouldn't get it. Of course they didn't. None of them strike me as reggae connoisseurs. And I honestly think that IF he hadn't forgotten the words on the Dylan tune, he might have actually pulled it off. He sounded good otherwise.

Syesha really wasn't all that great. Simon was correct in her first song that it was a poor imitation of Tina Turner. She really should have changed it up at least a bit...I mean, even the DRESS was Tina. And I felt she took far too much time with the slower beginning, with very little time to put into the faster ending. With the time frame she had to work with, she should have switched that I bit I think.
Her second tune was off...it just wasn't believable for me. She sounded nice vocally, but there was just something that didn't quite work.

David A was a snore-fest as usual. As soon as he said he was singing Stand By Me I groaned...so predictable. And sure, he was technically alright on both of them, and he did change them up a bit. But it was still so boring and just nothing really to write home about. Usually, this far into the competition, the judges are telling the contestants that they NEED to come out of their comfort zones. In this case, it's almost as if someone told them NOT to criticise David A at all. He's always perfect, brilliant and the best. But he never ventures away from that whole ballady style. Boooooorrrrrrriiiiinnnnnng.

David C was alright, but not the best he's been, for sure. His Duran Duran tune was too Simon Le Bon for me...I would have liked to see what he could do with it other than sound the same. I was surprised that he didn't do something with it. Baba O'Riley was better. I think the time constraints hurt a bit, though. If he could have sang more onstage, I think he would have done far better. In all, it wasn't his best night, but I feel he did better than the rest...he at least looked like American Idol material.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

That was a travesty to Bob Marley, hands down....

Simon got it..."You just don't touch Marley"

he gets it....Costa didn't..it was a complete mess.

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jkwest wrote:That was a travesty to Bob Marley, hands down....

Simon got it..."You just don't touch Marley"

he gets it....Costa didn't..it was a complete mess.
I disagree. And I don't usually with Simon. I think if Castro had chosen something better, like Redemption Song, he could have pulled it off better. The thing with I Shot The Sheriff is that most people hear Clapton when they hear it. That makes it difficult to do any other version of the tune. But Redemption Song isn't as well known by the vast majority of people who actually watch the show. I think it would have gone over better in lieu of that.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

izzarina wrote: David C was alright, but not the best he's been, for sure. His Duran Duran tune was too Simon Le Bon for me..
So how did that song wind up in the show? Duran Duran aren't in the RnR HoF; they don't induct songs do they?

I also kinda liked Jason's I shot the Sheriff. OTOH, Tambourine Man was without a doubt the worst thing I've seen in the competition part of Idol in the four years I've been watching. My wife really likes Jason, and I felt bad because I was laughing out loud by the end of it. (I love laughing at B movies; his performance really was something the MST3K crew would go for.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

All in all, I thought last night was the worst so far. No one was really great on anything. That seems to be the way it's been for several weeks now. You would think, with so many great tunes to choose from, that someone would have pulled off something a bit above the norm- but nah, not this bunch. These folks must have a very limited knowledge of what's out there to pick from. When the best you can give is a Duran Duran knock off something is just wrong. Have they been reading a bit too much of their own press?

David A has the voice, but nothing else. David C has the talent but after his last few performances, I'm not sure he has the staying power. He sounded really flat to me last night. Dread-boy has the charisma but he's outclassed by the vocals of the others. (I still like to watch him sing) Shyesha, sorry I just don't hear/see anything unique about her.

Was it just me, or did the vocals seem to overpower the music last night, like it wasn't mixed right? It seemed most noticeable on I shot the sheriff- I could barely even hear any music at all to that one.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Finally -- the right decision by "America". While Jason didn't even belong in the top 4, it was right that he was the next to go.
And while I *very much* enjoy watching Syesha :P , she's next to get the boot, to leave David and David as the final two (which I've been saying since the top 12), with David Cook taking all the marbles.

'f I were a betting man ....
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

fyffer wrote:Finally -- the right decision by "America". While Jason didn't even belong in the top 4, it was right that he was the next to go.
And while I *very much* enjoy watching Syesha :P , she's next to get the boot, to leave David and David as the final two (which I've been saying since the top 12), with David Cook taking all the marbles.

It's beginning to look like you actually knew what you were talking about, but we all know better than that. :D
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Ronbo wrote:
fyffer wrote:Finally -- the right decision by "America". While Jason didn't even belong in the top 4, it was right that he was the next to go.

It's beginning to look like you actually knew what you were talking about, but we all know better than that. :D
OK, Actually, I lied.
Fyffer, on March 12, wrote:... I put Carly and David A in the final showdown ...
So, I was probably half-right ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

chas wrote:
So how did that song wind up in the show? Duran Duran aren't in the RnR HoF; they don't induct songs do they?
http://www.rockhall.com/exhibithighlights/500-songs-df/

Selected by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum curatorial staff and a number of rock critics and historians, these 500 songs are some of rock and roll’s most popular and influential recordings. Arranged by artist and song title, the songs cover a variety of musicians and genres illustrating the evolution of rock and roll over the last century.

Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf

>>

Duran Duran probably got a song in this exhibit illustrating the evolution of rock and roll, because they were one of the first big time music video bands. MTV had a huge influence on the industry, and Duran Duran was one of the leaders in that change.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Davic C should have done After the Gold Rush
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Except that's no on the list so I say he should have done My My Hey Hey. He would rock that out.