Condensation in the flute bore - Advice needed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Condensation in the flute bore - Advice needed

Post by pmcallis »

I need some ideas on how to cut down on the amount of condensation in my flute bore when I'm playing. I'm ordering a "flute flag" from Roger http://home.nethere.net/roger45/index.htm
because I'm tired of taking my flute apart to swab it out. As I'm sure you know, after a while, the condensation muffles the flute's sound. You try and blow harder to compensate but this causes another set of problems.
Does anyone have some suggestions to help alleviate the build up of condensation? I'll try anything: new and inventive ways of blowing out the flute bore, fun ways to warm up the flute before playing, not drinking fluids for two days before a session, brushing my teeth with Guiness, gargling with Smithwicks (hey, I'm not proud), whatever....
thanks in advance for any "serious" suggestions,
Paul
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Tough question. I notice that the amount or drool (oops, I mean "condensation") varies for me. Sometimes I have no trouble at all, and other times the stuff runs like water. I THINK there's a correlation between the amount and what I'm drinking. The other night, I had a root beer while I was playing and it was terrible. It doesn't seem nearly as bad if I stick to water or something else that isn't sweet.

I do find that, for me, the problem isn't the amount of condensation as much as the location. Sometimes it will build up on the far edge of the embouchure hole and basically kill the flute. Does anybody know of a good way to keep condensation from building up there?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I'm guessing you'll get a number of good suggestions about the specific problem, but I have a tip for you in dealing with it: Either switch off to another instrument (if you play one) or another flute. I find that if I give the flute a rest after three or four tunes (or sets of tunes), my flute gets less sloshy by far. I guess the point is to let it air dry a bit before you can float a boat down the bore.

Give it a try.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Me, I love condensation. My old cracked flute is at its best when the humidity's high, the wood gets soaked, and the joints get tight!

And I don't think there's a way to make it quit completely ... spit happens and all that ... so maybe it's not so much stopping it as it is effecting a program of 'condensation management'?

1) Verticality is good. Between tunes be sure you're holding the flute upright on your knee; shaking or bouncing gently speeds the process. (Don't do this if you oil a lot and are wearing your best pants)

2) A flute stand is also handy, especially if you're playing multiple instruments. These are the best I've seen; solid, portable (they're hinged so they fold in half and latch closed), small and relatively cheap:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflute_stand_man

3) If it's really getting bad in there I'll cover all the fingerholes, roll the flute in and blow hard -- but don't do this near anyone you like. Then I'll lift various keys and just blow under them.

4) Finally, simply playing with the flute dropped at a slight angle so it can drip as you go is nice and efficient (be sure to aim for your neighbor's pint). If I feel bubbles under my fingers (that's the WORST) while I'm in the middle of a tune or set I just "tip and drip" :-)

5) Like Dow mentions, I have noticed that eating, or drinking Diet Coke or soft drinks near playing time can make the problem worse.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Then I'll lift various keys and just blow under them.
this is also done when you know that you hit the Fnat key and an E came out, Bb-A also.

bloody little holes....never happened on the bari sax!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You think you have problems with little holes? My RC ebonite 6-key piccolo is quite amazingly condensatory, regardless of ambient atmospheric conditions, to the extent that it is a problem playing anything extended, and I have to swab it out regularly between toots with a pad-saver. I've played other (wooden) piccolos without experiencing the same extent of bubbles in key and finger holes and tone/response deadening. It's a real pain, especially as when not to flooded it has a really nice sound (pace those who don't like piccolos under any circs!). I ought to inflict a clip on it on youse all sometime! It's kinda cute too.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I just cover all the holes and give a short "burst" of air down the embouchure hole with my mouth covering the hole. Then, I tap the flute (vertically) on my leg. The water goes on my pants but disappears quickly.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

plunk111 wrote:I just cover all the holes and give a short "burst" of air down the embouchure hole with my mouth covering the hole. Then, I tap the flute (vertically) on my leg.

Pat
Yup, this works well: Just cover the entire embouchure hole with your mouth, and give a good blast. - condensation gone!

Loren
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

plunk111 wrote:I just cover all the holes and give a short "burst" of air down the embouchure hole with my mouth covering the hole. Then, I tap the flute (vertically) on my leg. The water goes on my pants but disappears quickly.

Pat
yup. Me too.

I happen to keep a tea towel with my gig bag and I put it over my knee for just this reason.

It also makes me feel cool like I'm a pipes player. ;) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Aanvil wrote:
plunk111 wrote: It also makes me feel cool like I'm a pipes player. ;) :D
You really want to admit that?

:lol:

Loren
Cork

Re: Condensation in the flute bore - Advice needed

Post by Cork »

pmcallis wrote:I need some ideas on how to cut down on the amount of condensation in my flute bore when I'm playing. I'm ordering a "flute flag" from Roger http://home.nethere.net/roger45/index.htm
because I'm tired of taking my flute apart to swab it out. As I'm sure you know, after a while, the condensation muffles the flute's sound. You try and blow harder to compensate but this causes another set of problems.
Does anyone have some suggestions to help alleviate the build up of condensation? I'll try anything: new and inventive ways of blowing out the flute bore, fun ways to warm up the flute before playing, not drinking fluids for two days before a session, brushing my teeth with Guiness, gargling with Smithwicks (hey, I'm not proud), whatever....
thanks in advance for any "serious" suggestions,
Paul
Oh, man! You've been wasting your time, please.

First off, nothing but nothing short of not breathing into the flute could prevent condensation from forming in the flute, as the fact of the matter.

Beyond that, I'd suggest occasionally tipping the flute foot end downwards, then closing all of the holes, and then giving the flute a gentle blow through the embouchure hole, while taking care to not displace the cork in the head joint.

Ending a playing session with such a practice is also a good thing, too.

Water in the bore? Well, get used to it, and be prepared to deal with such a thing.

;-)
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Loren wrote:
plunk111 wrote:I just cover all the holes and give a short "burst" of air down the embouchure hole with my mouth covering the hole. Then, I tap the flute (vertically) on my leg.

Pat
Yup, this works well: Just cover the entire embouchure hole with your mouth, and give a good blast. - condensation gone!

Loren
Spot on, lads. I do this frequently, much to the consternation of my session neighbors (session too "cozy?" Flute drool'll get you some elbow room!). I like to blow really damn hard, which a) thoroughly cleans out the bore, and b) makes a cool elephant-trumpeting sound. Cheers,

Rob
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep....if the cork moves then fix it!!!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

If the bore of a flute is impervious to moisture, such as with a metal or polymer flute, it may tend to develop condensation more than a wooden flute that might absorb some of the moisture. I have attended flute concerts where the performing musician disassembled her silver flute after every piece and pulled a silk cloth through the bore of the flute to remove the condensation. With cylindrical-bore flutes you can easily devised a long swab where you can swab out the moisture build-up near the embouchure without needing to disassemble the flute. With my pvc flutes I supply a swab made from a piece of 14 gauge galvanized steel wire and a cotton swab. On my silver flutes I use a similar arrangement, only I use a wooden dowel to keep from scratching the bore of the flute. However, long swabs are harder to use with a conical-bore flute.
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I've never had problems with condensation in my flute. I tend to play with my flute at a tilt, and I do sometimes give it a shake or even tap it on my leg, especially if I pick it up to play after setting it down after playing. After I shake or tap it, sometimes I have to wipe off some of the condensation around the holes outside the flute as it spills out. I have at times blown into the embouchure hole, but only because I saw Rob Sharer do it a few times, and he looked like he knew what he was doing. I haven't seen any benefits from the elephant call technique, but I still do it every once in a while.

"Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes...."

I used to swab my flute out, but I don't anymore. After playing, I take it apart and give each section a firm shake, generally onto the floor, but sometimes onto my pants leg if people are watching. And I usually dab the ends on my pants leg, leaving little wet circles behind.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes