Whistle lessons

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Well, I finally found someone that will give me a lesson or three. He's local, and has been teaching fife for some 20+ years, plays a keyless flute in session, and has an Abell whistle that he occassionally brings to session. When I asked about instruction from Walt Sweet, he didn't hesitate to mention this guy, who I know only from his infrequent forays to Wednesday night session. Tonight I get my first lesson, and I confess I'm nervous.

I got a wake-up call when I asked him whether he taught by ear or by sheet music, and he grinned and said 'by exercise...scales, arrpegios, finger patterns.' Okay. I can do this.

Let's see what comes of it.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

On 2002-12-09 18:37, tyghress wrote:
scales, arrpegios, finger patterns.'
But tunes ARE scales, arpeggios and finger patterns :???:
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

I'm jealous! I've been kind of asking around for a teacher too, but they seem extremely scarce around these parts. How did you find this guy?
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I asked around. I'm fortunate in that I live in an area with a lot of musicians.

Chris, he was making a point. And neither he nor I said anything about tunes. Sorry I wasn't clearer for you {shrug}.

Oh, and his other statement, "You're first lesson will also be 'pick one whistle and stick with it. Bring ONE.'

Jorge Luis Borges

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2002-12-09 19:01 ]</font>
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sounds like he's worked with a few whistlers in his time...LOL! I can just see most of us showing up with most of our collection in tow!

Sounds like a great opportunity. Let us know how it goes!

Redwolf
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

LOL
Tygress, I was just teasing. Practicing tone, finger excercises, scales, arpeggios, etc, seperately from tunes is in fact a great idea.
Actually, this guy sounds like a real keeper to me! The whole thing about "pick one whistle", is the clincher for me.
What's his name?
Chris
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

<quote>Oh, and his other statement, "You're first lesson will also be 'pick one whistle and stick with it. Bring ONE.'

Tyghress, can you hold off on picking that ONE for a while.....? :smile:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Paul, trust me, you can take the whistler out of the collection, but you can't take the collector out of the whistles. And I dare you to try to supplant my {current} favorite. . .go ahead. Try. . .:lol:

Okay. . .I've spent the past hour playing scales and twiddling my fingers up and down to the metronome. And playing tunes (not many). I'm to practice the finger twiddling at 120 bpm on the metronome... dededededededed then efefefefefefe and so on
Scales at 100 bpm and my tunes at 80 bpm, and he would prefer I 'mark time' as in marching in place rather than tapping, saying that tapping often follows what your hands are doing, but marching usually keeps you in rhythm.

Other points...less tonguing, and when I do tongue, less staccato and more note.

Habits will be hard to break. But why pay if you're not going to listen to what they say?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-09 21:41, tyghress wrote:

[snip]... and he would prefer I 'mark time' as in marching in place rather than tapping, saying that tapping often follows what your hands are doing, but marching usually keeps you in rhythm. ...

[snip]
Fascinating! I saw Patrick Street in concert once, from the front row (!) (but alas, right in front of a huge speaker). Kevin Burke was doing a tour-de-force piece--tune after tune after tune--his arm moving effortlessly, and shifting his weight from foot to foot, almost but not quite marching in place.

Your teacher does indeed sound like a good 'un. I envy you your opportunity. :smile:

Enjoy!
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Marguerite, I got a story that can really get you going. . .

Back in 1982 or 83 I was living in Dallas, and had just found 'old time country music' in the form of an active hammered dulcimer group. My instructor there (Linda Lowe Thompson, if anyone is looking for a phenomenal teacher of HD!) told me of this guy Kevin Burke who was going to play 'Sligo fiddle' at some bar over on Greenville Ave. I hadn't a clue as to what a 'slide-go' fiddle was, but heck, why not go, right?

So we toddle off to this bar, and get there for early drinks. The music was scheduled for some time...I don't remember exactly what hour, but I think it was 8, so we were there at 7...but ALL THE ADVERTISEMENTS had said 9. It was six of us...five if you don't count the bartender...and Kevin, who came out at 7:30 and said what the heck, and started playing.

Of course he didn't get up on the little stage, but sat at our table and played and talked and played some more. It was probably the first real Irish music I'd ever heard, but it took another fifteen years before I got to playing and such. But I will NEVER forget him sliding into the chair and apologizing, asking if we minded if he got comfortable.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-09 22:51, tyghress wrote:
Marguerite, I got a story that can really get you going. . .
*sigh* You're right--good 'un!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
nickt

Post by nickt »

Tyghress - I'd say you've got yourself a good teacher there. Mine gave me nothing but scales, arpeggios and exercises for 9 months, and every visit I'd say "how about a tune today?", and in his dour Scottish way he'd say "nae laddie, when ye're ready". And when I did do a tune - bingo! Fingers, breathing, everything was all in the right place (plus the fact as someone said, I'd been playing the tunes all along anyway minus a phrase here and there).
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I envy you, Tyghress. Around here, musical instruments seem to be limited to things you pluck or hit. Even traditional instruments seem to be limited to banjo and dulcimer.

I've been trying to find a teacher within reasonable driving distance for three years. I thought I'd found one last year, a flute teacher at the local JC. Then they closed their music program and he had to move away.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-12-09 19:21, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
What's his name?
Chris
I think Tyg has overlooked this question. The teacher is Walter Sweet, Ralph Sweet's son. Great guy, and the guy who seems to be responsible for reworking the Sweet whistles to their present wonderful incarnation. I know Tyg has on, I almost bought one after playing four of five of them at the session. Great whistles, much improved in the high a, b, and seemed beautifully in tune, gorgeous amount of character & chiff, and easy players.

I want one, but can't right now. :sad:
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Man, finding a whistle teacher in the Hartford area, how cool is that?