help me splurge!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cailindeas

Post by cailindeas »

Hello!
I am looking to splurge on a high-end (soprano) whistle, but it's awful hard to do this sight unseen (fipple unlipped?). I am essentially a far end session player, less interested in airs and solo playing (I get to work out those impulses with my first love, singing). I have been playing a (now rusty) Clarke's Sweetone for the most part -- I sometimes play a Susato as well, but usually feel like I am popping capillaries after the Clarke. I've basically been looking at the usual suspects -- Copeland, Overton, Sindt -- price or wait isn't really an object if it has a good chance of being the right one. Input from anyone with a similar transition story would be MOST welcome! Go raibh míle!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi!

Why not just get another Sweetone, of the previous one has given such good service, And save your pennies?

Do you have other players using high-end whistles in your sessions? Where in the world are you, if you'll forgive the expression?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
nickt

Post by nickt »

Cailindeas - this has been discussed many times; I suggest you do a search and check previous threads to get some ideas.

As everyone here knows, I'm a Rose fan which for me is the best high end whistle you can buy - but not everyone would agree. You will get as many opinions as there are whistles, and after a week your enquiry will have confused you.

You will need to decide if you want wood, metal or plastic (they all have characteristics), whether you want a pure tone, a breathy tone, good volume, low volume, sweetness, chiffiness, and so on.

Give us your taste reqs regarding these and we can then help you decide. One thing though (in due deference to me old mate Martin), I wouldn't get another Sweetone! They're okay, but no more than that. If you want to get a high end, then go for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickt on 2002-12-10 07:28 ]</font>
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'd recommend a Burke brass. (I just saw that Mike is offering the "old-style" brass, which I find has a slightly more satisfying sound than the newer ones.) These are not particularly loud (louder than the Clarke, but not as loud as a Susato) with very little chiff, and play very easily.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Fáilte romhat, a chailín deas (crúite na mbó?).

I'm not competent to comment on high-enders, being a reasonably resolute cheapophile at soprano level with just the odd twinge of WhOA.

If breathing is a problem for you (and it tends to be with the classic Clark's and at least the upper octave of the Susato), I would unreservedly recommend a Feadóg, either the basic model or the Cillian O Briain improved version.

I understand from this forum that Cillian has helped the makers of the Feadog with the basic design, and he may well have done himself out of a job, because I bought a standard Feadóg of the current (Mark III) design the last time I passed through Dublin airport for something like €3, and it is top-quality even without any tweaking. So my first suggestion would be to try getting a standard Feadóg from some shop that has a fair turnover so that you are sure to get the latest model. It's also fairly quiet, which I infer might suit your preference for session playing.

The only high-ender which I have tried was a Burke brass, and I did find it rather tempting, but having just invested in a Burke low D with accompanying conscience-money car, I have resisted the temptation so far.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

The feadogs are nice for a less expesive whistle. I was satisfied with it until I discovered the Burke. Not as chiffy, however has a very pleasant voice.

I have an al-pro... Am considering the brass one next purchase.

Good luck,

Laura
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The best I have ever played was a Burke D.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Send me an e-mail. We'll talk about what characeristics you like in a whistle and I'll tell you which whistle you'll love.

~Jessie
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Do e-mail Jessie. She has played everything!
Chris
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

The Ó Briain Improved is a terrific solo instrument, but it would be practically inaudible in a session. You might like the Burke. It has ample volume (at least to my ears), the breath requirement is reasonable, and the tone is very nice.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I have just the thing.

Here's the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =928254786
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

On 2002-12-11 11:19, Doc Jones wrote:
I have just the thing.

Here's the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =928254786
This is Brigitte here, thought I try and help Doc with it and mention that there are probably 6 red (in different keys) Overtons made in total and there will be no red made anymore, so it this red High D is a rarity.

edited for typo and adding

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goldie on 2002-12-11 11:50 ]</font>
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Have a look here ~ beautiful Blackwood Rose D (Soprano). A better whistle you won't find.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &forum=1&2
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
cailindeas

Post by cailindeas »

Thank you all!

While all of you were busily writing replies to my post, I managed to track down the source of my 'great whistle' moment from years ago ... it was silky and effortless to play, fantastic work, and it was a ... Copeland. I think this is the way I will go -- but I do appreciate the help!

Now, back to the cows! (Is trua gan bólacht bainne agam!)
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

On 2002-12-12 13:32, cailindeas wrote:
. . . I managed to track down the source of my 'great whistle' moment from years ago ... it was silky and effortless to play, fantastic work, and it was a ... Copeland.
My session-mate Mike Jones posted a few days ago (in a thread already on the next page) that he's got one up for auction on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =929223839

I've never tried it and I'm not sure I've ever heard Mike play it; he's pretty hooked on his Abell and has been for a long time. Anyway, it would save time and depending on what happens with the bidding might save money over a new one from Copeland Woodwinds.

John, confirmed Sindter