A sad tail

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Epitaph to a Dog

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a dog,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803,
and died at Newstead Nov.r 18th, 1808.

--Gorge Gordon, Lord Byron

We hurt for you, Simon. There's nothing quite like a good dog.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wow. Just wow.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

JS wrote:Simon, I've very sorry about the loss of your pup. I'd really found myself thinking of him as part of the C&F community, after seeing him as your avatar on all those interesting posts.
Me too. He was one of us. I miss him too.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

s1m0n wrote:Thanks everybody.

I don't really believe in the whole afterlife thing, but I have never *wanted* to believe it more than I did today. I wanted to bend down and whisper in his ear that he should meet me later at the gate. Or the bridge, or whatever.
I think sometimes that, even if it turns out that it only exists in our own imaginations, that's enough. The connection is there. ... but I've had enough really 'out there' experiences to feel that there is definitely *something* after this... dunno what, but it definitely involves joy. My brother proved that, for one, and not just to me.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Simon, after reading about your experineces with your dog, I shed a few tears myself in sympathy for your loss.
CountryKitty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CountryKitty »

S1m0n, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm facing the same difficult time here myself. "Oso", spanish for bear, is lying nearby--he has arthritis, a bad back, cataracts, is a bit deaf and senile, and has trouble getting up. At 14, he's lead a long life, but he is obviously in serious decline. He, too, no longer gallops--his days of charging the gate to challenge all comers are long passed. All too soon, he will reach the point where I also must let him go.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Pain rends the heart,
that we may more clearly feel
how strongly we are tied together.

Tears cleanse the soul,
that we may more clearly see
the depth and beauty of love.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

My heart just breaks for you. We all know that day will come, but that doesn't make it any easier to bear.

I'm so glad you were able to be with your dear friend at the end. I'd have given my life to have been with my Cedar when he left.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Here are some larger shots, both taken on the boardwalk at Trout Lake.

I have heard "does your dog ever have gorgeous eyes!" almost every day of the last five years, since he and I drove across Canada and moved to the city.

And one more, a perfectly-composed accident - Casper from above, looking surreal, while we were both standing in a creekbed at the top of Norvan Falls in the Lynn Valley rainforest, a 10k hike from north vancouver.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ketida

Post by ketida »

He was a happy dog, he had a good life, and enriched yours. Both of you were lucky, and I think both of you knew it.

I'm sorry you miss him, but try to remember how lucky both of you were.

It's easy to offer this advice, 'cause my best friend is still here, tho aging rapidly. I just hope to remember my own words when the time comes.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I am so sorry to read that you have lost your friend. You did the hardest thing and I have no doubt he let you know it was time for him to go. That you were able to listen and understand shows the depth of your connection with him.

I'm sitting here at my desk, surrounded by pictures of my dogs long gone. "The Bigun's" lead and favorite ball sits right here beside me, even though he's been gone 17 years now. I read your post of your loss and am reminded of many of the dog friends and companions I've been lucky enough to share this life with. Then I feel how it hurt when they left. Then I look at my feet and there's three more that are aging way too fast-12,11, and 8 years old. The old ones outside are even older-17 plus.

Daggone, dogs shouldn't have to go so soon.....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry for your loss. I go through this with people almost everyday.

The bond between man and dog can be a sacred, powerful thing. Too often, people don't realize the strength of the bond until the end.

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones and knew what you had all along.

When the time comes, another dog will be lucky to be your friend.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Sorry for the sad days Simon. Daisy, the real dwinterfield, is sleepy by my feet. She's also a runner. She turned 11 last month and her runs are getting shorter while her naps are getting longer. I hope when our time comes, we have the courage to face it together, with the grace that you and your pal have shown. Thanks
Mark