Madonna

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Madonna is a social artist and an okay dancer. She's not much of a singer or a musician. She's very clever at working the fads. Since she moved to Britain, she's become an insufferable bore about nearly everything. The fake Brit accent really is over the top.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

The Weekenders wrote:Madonna is a social artist...
That's an interesting turn of phrase. I like it.
Someone like David Bowie could also be called a social artist, because he
was so in tune with fads that he completely reinvented himself several times.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Feline AIDS is the #1 killer of domestic cats. --Debbie Downer

F-150's are the leading killer of domestic cats here. :D
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I never was much of a fan of Madonna but ..yeah....Metropolis!
:D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

dwest wrote:Joan, adulterated, impure, and unplugged :lol: Image
Joan's even lovelier (late) sister, MimiImage
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Sometimes the definition of pure and unadulterated can get a bit...fuzzy...

Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Jack

Post by Jack »

So today I went to Wal-Mart and bought the CD. I love it. The pictures of Madonna make me kind of sick, though, because they're really sexual and she's an old lady who shouldn't do that kind of stuff. If when I'm pushing fifty I look half that good (with or without photo-editing) I'll be happy.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fearfaoin wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Madonna is a social artist...
That's an interesting turn of phrase. I like it.
Someone like David Bowie could also be called a social artist, because he
was so in tune with fads that he completely reinvented himself several times.
Yeah, I came up with that expression especially for her, because she showed that the music almost doesn't matter all that much, as long as she is leading and the followers are following.

David Bowie is one too, I agree. It doesn't mean that somebody can't be musically talented but when you are talking about these big image pop stars, the music only has to be good enough for the moment it's popular. Their real artistry is either finding or creating the cutting edge of the moment and grabbing it. Her old records sound pretty lame now. Bowie, being more musically talented, wears a bit better. But he definitely zeroed in on the glam rock- androgyny thing way back when and ran with it.

It's definitely a cut above being a one-hit wonder. I think that Cyndi Lauper falls somewhere in between...she combined her song with her wacky image to carry forth the message.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cranberry wrote:So today I went to Wal-Mart and bought the CD. I love it. The pictures of Madonna make me kind of sick, though, because they're really sexual and she's an old lady who shouldn't do that kind of stuff. If when I'm pushing fifty I look half that good (with or without photo-editing) I'll be happy.
Ye call pushing fifty old...?

I wouldn't kick her out of the bed for eating crackers.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Cranberry wrote:So today I went to Wal-Mart and bought the CD. I love it. The pictures of Madonna make me kind of sick, though, because they're really sexual and she's an old lady who shouldn't do that kind of stuff. If when I'm pushing fifty I look half that good (with or without photo-editing) I'll be happy.
Over 50 is too late for sexual things? Omigod, someone forgot to tell me that 8 years ago!! :D (having a wife 12 years your junior does help)

I'm not a big pop music fan, but I do find Madonna inspirational for how great and sexy she keeps herself looking at her "advanced age".
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Nice crotch-shot on the cover there.

:)

Social Artist....very descriptive...very scary.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I've always thought she had talent and a particularly focused drive to get what she wanted out of life. David Byrne (whose Talking Heads were also on the same label--Sire Records--along with her back in the '80s) has talked about how her drive and calculated approach to achieving fame were evident within minutes of meeting her. The Bowie comparison is interesting in that both of them were hugely popular and influential in their earlier days and then both of them suffered a pretty big fall into indifference tempered by occasional brief, faltering comebacks. Bowie, now 61, is actually doing pretty well for himself these days. He's had some good roles in movies (he rocked as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige) and his last two albums have been surprisingly good. It remains to be seen whether Madonna has the vision and motivation to keep on reformatting herself and occasionally giving off traces of relevance the way Bowie has. I thought Ray of Light was a fantastic pop album, but the sample cuts I've heard from this seem pretty empty and one-dimensional; just Madonna trying desperately to glom onto whatever seems to be the trend these days, as opposed to setting it. Bowie did the same thing in the early '90s and was rightly accused of trying to be a "Rip Van Withit" of pop music. It remains to be seen whether Madonna will have the sense to make a little something more of her legacy like Bowie did or if she'll become a total has-been...Neither would surprise me at all.

On a separate note, I also find her fake English accent to be intensely annoying, but I think Madonna's accent shifts over the past few decades could make for a fascinating sociolinguistic study...Somebody should set up a "Madonna corpus."
Jack

Post by Jack »

My ex-boyfriend spoke in a fake British accent (in fact, he still does). I hate to say this because it will make me seem more shallow than I like to seem, but that's a large part of the reason that I left him.

Ray of Light, I think, in a hundred years, will still be listened to. It's interesting, to me at least, that what is widely regarded as Madonna's greatest musical achievement came not in the beginning or end but rather in the middle of her career.

Have any of you who have heard Ray of Light heard American Life? I really like it as well.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

dwest wrote:Mary and Joan, adulterated, impure, and unplugged :lol: ImageImageImagePops Patti when I was a lad, funny how little change there be.
Lovely guitar though...

I never liked Madonna. Just a few days ago, I found her book "SEX" at a friends home. It seems to me, that she is all about shock value. I don't like her music either.
I do however respect her ability to market herself and keep on coming up with media food that people will buy. She's very clever at that.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I think you are going to be surprised when you become an "old lady pushing fifty". :lol: There really is life after fifty. :wink:

(do y'all think I ought to let him in on the secret that the second fifty are more fun than the first?)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West