Dell Inspiron to Mac Book Pro - Will I regret it?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dell Inspiron to Mac Book Pro - Will I regret it?

Post by dwinterfield »

I've never owned an Apple. My Dell computer (laptop) is aging. I have not heard anything good about Vista? Last week a nephew showed me his Mac Book Pro. Very nice.

I don't do anything fancy on a computer but will need Word and the ability to operate in a windows environment at times for work.

So if I switch, will I be happy?

Thanks in advance.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

There's another thread on Mac vs Windows going on, but I think you will be fine. I like the Mac, always have, but use XP64 at work so...
Written on an ancient G4 dualie
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I have the most basic model MacBook and I like it very much. I confess I'm not at all fond of the version of Microsoft Office (2003 for Mac) that I have. I've not tried Office 2008.
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

You'll love it. I got my first Mac in '88, and haven't looked back. I'm sure there are plenty of us Mac users here that will more than glad to help if you need it.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I got my macbook pro last year, and I love it. My 70 year old grandmother liked mine, and since her ancient PC was dying, she got herself a macbook, and she's very happy with it. :thumbsup:
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

No you won't regret it.

:thumbsup:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Boody

Post by Boody »

You will not regret it, I have the mac book pro and I love it. Also, windows will run better on a mac than anything else.
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
emmline

Post by emmline »

MacBook Pro is what I use right now.
I like it very much.
That said, I would hesitate to tell you you won't regret it, because every computer I've owned has had a major hassle ensue somewhere along the line.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Boody wrote:You will not regret it, I have the mac book pro and I love it. Also, windows will run better on a mac than anything else.
Actually, that's completely false Boody. Hackintosh computers (running MacOS on a box created for Windows, as long as you are using the right parts) runs on average 35-60% faster in benchmarks for around 60-80% of the price.

Nothing special about Mac hardware since they went to Intel, except that they still charge more for it.

As for switching, you really just need to ask yourself what you want to do with your computer. For most people, the switch would be fine.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: Dell Inspiron to Mac Book Pro - Will I regret it?

Post by MarcusR »

dwinterfield wrote: My Dell computer (laptop) is aging. I have not heard anything good about Vista?
I agree wholeheartedly regarding Vista :devil:

Nothing wrong with Mac, I have tried it from time to time but I never got use to it, easy to use - yes, stable - very, nice looking - absolutely. Just isn't my cup of tea so I have migrated back to Windows/Linux every time.

I'm very, very happy with my latest Dell XPS M1330.
Over here they cost about 1000 EUR with 320 Gb HD, 2.4 GHz cpu and 4 Gb RAM, weight 1.6 kg + battery.
It came with Vista but I "upgraded" it to Win XP resulting in a significant performance increase, especially noticeable when I'm running Matlab.

You can also buy this laptop with Ubuntu from Dell, get a discount and install Win XP yourself if you already have it. Dell also gives full support for Ubuntu on XPC :wink:

/Marcus
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
dwest

Post by dwest »

I have an Insipron B130, what a piece of trash. But that is only because of the lousy battery. I got it to use in the field but I have to wait until I get back to my truck to plug it in to the inverter 'cause both batteries went dead after about 30 charges. Otherwise no complaints but it sure isn't what I would term a mobile unit.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I'm not answering the question, but I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook and am happy with it. The only complaint is the oodles of "junk-ware" (trial copies of software) that came on it.

If I were buying today and didn't care about playing games, I would lean towards an ultraportable such as the Asus Eee or similar. The tiny form factor (size of a DVD case), and super light weight (2 pounds) would make it easier to bring along.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I use Vista. No problems with it at all for everyday use.