Attacking a high B

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Attacking a high B

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all,

I'm going to be playing in church on Pentecost (May 11). This is kind of a first for our church, which tends to favor the classical Anglican cathedral repertoire. Our music director found this perfectly lovely piece (actually, to be honest, I think it's breath-taking) based on an Irish melody (one of the tunes to which "The Parting Glass" is played). The music calls for "organ and a C instrument (the piece is actually in G...I guess the idea was to make sure the musician could read the treble clef), and he thought it would be a nice touch to have a penny whistle take that part. We rehearsed it last night, and I have to say, it's really lovely. The congregation is going to love it.

Anyway, here's my problem: At one point, during my solo, I have a high B that's sustained for three beats. Is there a way of attacking it to make the transition from the A below it sound less harsh? I don't tend to play that high all that often (let's face it, high B isn't exactly a whistle's most melodious note!), so I'm not quite sure how to play that note so it doesn't sound like there's a banshee in the building.

Unfortunately, my whistle with the nicest high B couldn't quite get into tune with the organ on the Cnat, despite pulling the tuning slide out and trying alternate fingerings (yes, even half-holing) (It's my Sweetheart Pro, so I'm inclined to blame the organ...according to my tuner, the Cnat on the whistle is just fine). I'm playing my Elfsong, which sounds very nice everywhere else, but isn't as easy on the ear up there as the Sweetheart is. Any suggestions for attacking and holding that note for three beats without bending metal or blowing out the stained glass windows would be appreciated!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Can you slide up to it from the A?

There's a simply awful jump in The Shepherd's Wife from the low D to the high B, and I'm trying to work on hitting the A first and doing a quick slide up to the B, but so far I'm not skilled at it.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Yeah, I would slide, or replace the A with a run up from, say, F#, if it felt right.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

I'd slide too. I use to slide in those circumstances.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Thanks all. I'll give the slide a try. I don't want to get too fancy with runs, since the organ will be accompanying me (though the music director did give me carte blanche to ornament as I felt appropriate, rather than taking the ornaments the composer had put in which, frankly, were rather odd).

Redwolf
Bloomfield

Re: Attacking a high B

Post by Bloomfield »

Redwolf wrote:Hey all,

I'm going to be playing in church on Pentecost (May 11). This is kind of a first for our church, which tends to favor the classical Anglican cathedral repertoire. Our music director found this perfectly lovely piece (actually, to be honest, I think it's breath-taking) based on an Irish melody (one of the tunes to which "The Parting Glass" is played). The music calls for "organ and a C instrument (the piece is actually in G...I guess the idea was to make sure the musician could read the treble clef), ...
A "C instrument" is an instrument that doesn't transpose. That is, written C sounds C. It doesn't say anything about what key the instrument is in (as in, a D whistle is a C instrument).

If you are jumping up a ninth, try tapping the a before hitting the b. Generally, don't be afraid, step back from the mic and let her rip. If you're scared of the note you're likely to blow it flat.
/Bloomfield
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Redwolf, can you post a snippet of the passage in question in ABC format? It's really impossible to answer the question without seeing the melodic context.

High B shouldn't be any more problematic than any other note. It occurs in tunes all the time. There are many things you can do to add interest to a long, sustained note. Sliding, finger vibrato, slow roll, multiple cuts/taps, etc. And you can angle the whistle and tighten embouchure to reduce volume. But the right approach depends on the melody.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:A "C instrument" is an instrument that doesn't transpose. That is, written C sounds C. It doesn't say anything about what key the instrument is in (as in, a D whistle is a C instrument).
Oh, yeah, I missed that part. They mean to use a flute or oboe, which are in
"concert C", (as opposed to a Clarinet, which is in Bb). But a flute or a clarinet
could play equally well in G.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

fearfaoin wrote: But a flute or a clarinet
Yes but the music for them would be written in a different key.
/Bloomfield
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:
fearfaoin wrote: But a flute or a clarinet
Yes but the music for them would be written in a different key.
Right, a clarinet player would take that music and transpose it to the key of A.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Also, make sure you're supporting your wind properly, and make sure your embrouchure is solid.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Try attacking the B with a BIT of tongue. It's sometimes a tricky note, especially when it's right out there for a long duration. The tonguing needs to be subtle, but it can help get that note to speak more easily.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:Redwolf, can you post a snippet of the passage in question in ABC format? It's really impossible to answer the question without seeing the melodic context.

High B shouldn't be any more problematic than any other note. It occurs in tunes all the time. There are many things you can do to add interest to a long, sustained note. Sliding, finger vibrato, slow roll, multiple cuts/taps, etc. And you can angle the whistle and tighten embouchure to reduce volume. But the right approach depends on the melody.
It's not hard to play, it's just loud and blaring. It's the kind of thing that might sound good if a really good tenor or soprano were hanging around up there, but on the whistle is enough to make my ears bleed. Most trad tunes don't sit up there in the stratosphere for all that long (at least not the ones I play!)...you pass through it, but rarely linger.

It's just a straight progression: G (quarter note) A (quarter note) B (held for a three count).

Redwolf
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Maybe it's not so loud and blaring to those who are listening to it, just loud and blaring in your ears because your right next to the whistle.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Denny

Post by Denny »

I don't think that you should attack a poor helpless B in the first place. :(

sorry....