Do you have an interesting local recipe?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: Do you have an interesting local recipe?

Post by dwest »

hyldemoer wrote:
dwest wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:Not a one of you, even ElPollo, has stuck to the criteria of the second part of the question.
Hayman Potatoes are available in Chicago?
and if we didn't, if I had to come over to your local to get them, are you saying I, as a nonlocal, probably wouldn't like them once I tried them?
Really couldn't say if you'd like them or not, but I don't think they exsist outside of the Delmarva Peninsula so its hard to judge whether all nonlocals would like them or not. But they are a uniquely regional food grown here since the 1600s likely.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

hyldemoer wrote:Not a one of you, even ElPollo, has stuck to the criteria of the second part of the question.
ElPollo wrote:
Rules:
It has to be a local dish (not seen outside region and/or country), and it has to be something that usually only the locals like.
Unfortunatley, that's an impossible standard and one that cannot be proven, so I've completely ignored it. I've seen video footage of Amazonian tribes eating fried tarantulas (or the local equivalent) - I'd say that's something only locals would like, but I've known entomologists who say it's tasty.

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Thu May 01, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Walden wrote:
Steamwalker wrote:Not local here but being that my mom is from the Philippines (where I was born), a Filipino thing that I loved growing up of which people don't think sounds too appetizing is Avocado Milkshakes. Easy to find the recipe by googling it. Very tasty and refreshing!
Another thing I liked in the Philippines was deep fried kangkong. The leaves were battered in a very light batter.

I'd recently been pondering the avocado milkshake thing, and it seems to me a bit like how Americans sweeten pumpkin and cinnamon for use in desserts, whereas these may be used in savory dishes in some other countries. Filipinos tend to sweeten avocados, whereas Americans usually use them unsweetened in salads or savory dips. We had an avocado tree in our yard, when I was 12-years old and living in the Philippines. It would get loaded with wonderful avocados of a large size that is not seen in the grocery stores here.
Avocados can be rather expensive although they are commonly used in California cuisine (especially burgers). Luckily, we have an avocado tree in our backyard.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

ElPollo wrote:Rules:
It has to be a local dish (not seen outside region and/or country), and it has to be something that usually only the locals like.
True. Then, I submit: Chitlins. (Which I have never and will never try.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitlins

I once was in a local Bojangles (a southern fried-chicken franchise), wherein
some grease must have gotten stuck somewhere and gone rancid, because
the smell was just awful. An African-American gentleman in front of me
turned to his companions and asked in a loud voice, "When did Bojangles start
serving chitlins?" We all laughed: it was funny because it was true. That
stuff smells terrible.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

fearfaoin wrote:
ElPollo wrote:Rules:
True. Then, I submit: Chitlins. (Which I have never and will never try.)
You can find raw Chitterlings in any grocery store in the greater Chicago area that markets food to African American people
but if you want to see old friends and socialize you make the trip down to Moo & Oink on the southside of Chicago.

I was first introduced to Chitterlings at an office pot luck. They were brought in by one of my Mexican American coworkers who'd discovered them at a previous office party and couldn't get enough of them.

Anyone have a recipe for Bitter Melon pickles? I had them at an office party once too. Yum!
Bitter melons are pretty easy to find in this town too.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Steamwalker wrote:Not local here but being that my mom is from the Philippines (where I was born), a Filipino thing that I loved growing up of which people don't think sounds too appetizing is Avocado Milkshakes. Easy to find the recipe by googling it. Very tasty and refreshing!
You don't have Raw Foodies in San Diego, CA? Avocados in a green leafy smoothie is pretty standard fare for those in the cult of Victoria Boutenko and her raw family.

Those Bitter melon pickles I tasted at an office party were brought in by a Filipino co-worker. I don't suppose you could ask your mom if she's got a recipe I could make them with?
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Pickled biter melon??? that sounds good. Took me while to like Halo-Halo, but I really like the beans and coconut now.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Biscuits and gravy

fry up a pound of loose breakfast sausage till it's really tiny, crispy pieces
DON'T drain the fat and be sure there's no water left in the pan
add 1/4 c flour, stir and cook for several minutes, till the flour begins to brown a little
remove the pan from the heat and let it cool a little
add 2 c milk, put it back on the flame and cook, stirring till it's come to a mild boil and it's all thickened and well-mixed.

Serve over biscuits, preferably real drop biscuits
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Hey! If you read the buttery recipe you'll note the bit at the bottom where various celebrities from outside the area have said how disgusting they are!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

2 lt rum
1 amaretto
1 triple sec
3 sweet & sour
3 pineapple juice
splash grenadine and dk rum on top

One could argue that it's not "food", but it's what I'm having for dinner tonight...
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Fry bread and chokecherry gravy. (I prefer it with the seeds strained out, but then I am a white guy) Preferably siding a big plate of broiled venison, beef, or buffalo. Them thar Indians do know how to put on the chow!

Cutthroat trout fresh out of the creek, cleaned and broiled on campfire coals (on them, not over them). Especially the ones that have been feeding on freshwater shrimp. The meat turns bright orange/pink. Nothing like it.
Or steamed, if you aren't in a hurry: Lay a 3-4" layer of green grass on a good bed of coals, place your fish on top, another layer of grass, and a healthy pile of coals on top. Personally I usually can't wait that long. :D

Then there's a good, steaming fresh plate of fried mountain oysters. mm-mmm!

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Given the criteria, I cannot get into the butter/butter-and-sugar lefse debate that divides my family.

However, I will submit Abali doogh, so well loved that it seems to be anywhere you can buy Iranian food. I have not found a person that likes the carbonated yogurt (which tastes like sour milk) flavor. If it has settled into a milk and water layer, gently tip and stand up (it is carbonated) and enjoy.

Note this is nothing like a lassi, keefer, or other popular drinks from other areas, it is fairly unique, but this is not a recipie, it is a packaged beverage (much like Cheerwine). Iranian doogh is a level above marmite and vegemite.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned grits. They fit both the requirements of regionality and of being largely unappreciated outside their native haunts.

Grits is perhaps the most perfect food ever invented--supremely easy to prepare, amenable to all sorts of additives from cheese to bacon, and they stick to you for hours.
Cotelette d'Agneau
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I was going to , but then I ruminated over the grits vs polenta argument. Yes, grits/polenta are good.

But , this is a filipino food thing; take short grain rice such as Cal rose and boil it until it is very soft and sticky with coconut and ginger. I got fed that as a child as "sick" food. As a consequence I can't look at rice pudding without getting a touch sicky. Funny about the textures and flavors you associate with being sick.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

fearfaoin wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:I never did learn to make a proper pan of southern corn bread.
It's all about the bacon grease.
and a well seasoned black cast iron skillet.

As for local favorite foods-

Soup beans(pinto) are a staple, always served up with corn bread. Oh, and for those that are really creative, they add some chow-chow-(not canine)- to eat with the soup beans. Fry up some 'taters, ala Walden's post, and you've got yerself a real meal.

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/chowchow.htm

I fixed this up once for my son-in-law, he's from that Delmarva peninsula spoke of earlier in this thread, I couldn't believe he didn't like it!

Green beans are only good if they are cooked with plenty of fat back, salt and pepper. And I mean cooked, not that almost raw stuff that sometimes passes for green beans. Cook 'em at about an hour, unless you use a pressure cooker. Throw in some new potatoes and add cornbread- there's another meal!

Killed lettuce- fry up some bacon, crumble that , then pour the grease over lettuce, add some green onions, sprinkle with the bacon. Oh, and you've gotta have corn bread to go with this.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West