Idol '08 thread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

jkwest wrote:my only comment on this show...

I'm secretly in love with Brooke...i think she is the bees knees....I'd take her just as she is and make her breakfast every morning as long as she'd play me the guitar in the nude. I would take her on midnight seaside rendezvous, and watch the ghostly pale light play through her pale hair and bounce off of her porcelain skin. Her dazzling smiling eyes have had me enraptured from the first audition she had on the show....

a part of my heart and soul will slowly die a pitiful, unrepairable death when she is gone....

I will google her for years to come, hoping for any information about this wonderful fallen angel who has graced my heart and made me squirm sitting next to my beautiful wife....

:sniffle:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!

Man, we have different tastes......
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Y'all have pretty much voiced my thoughts on last night. (other than I'm not pining over Brooke. :P )

The last two weeks have been zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I thought surely someone would just nail a Neil Diamond tune. Wrong.

It's as if they have all reached a plateau and they can't do any better, only worse.

I too keep waiting for someone to do something that really wows me....

Yeah, Clay Aiken did it, Fantasia did it-(not McPhee)

Brooke should go home based on I'm a Believer- that was painful.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
scheky

Post by scheky »

Bye Bye Brooke...no surprises tonight.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Brooke is a sweetheart. There haven't been many like her on the show. She had some good moments on the piano, but wasn't consistent. Brooke had some bad moments on the guitar, or just with the mic. Brooke can likely have a performing and recording career if she wants it, though it will be in her niche, not the wide audience.

I'm not going to argue about this past week. However, there have been some memorable performances this year, but no super mega star deals. David Cook and David Archuleta both had performances good enough to go straight to an album. Some of the others have gotten close to that. I think the different themes, with more songs used up early in Hollywood week and getting from 24 to 12. Hollywood week used to have more dancing and group efforts, and they cut all that this season, forcing contestants to burn through songs.

For instance, Michael Johns used up one of his magic songs "Bohemian Rhapsody," in Hollywood and couldn't do it again on the main show. David Archuleta used up "Imagine" getting from 24 to 12. If either of them did them in the current late rounds, they would have the potential to be every bit as memorable as any performances in the history of the show. Because they were done so early in the competition, they are forgotten footnotes.

Only having four mentors also hurt. Mariah and Dolly didn't seem have that much to offer in terms of being teachers. Andrew Lloyd Webber did, however, that is only one, when in past years the contestants would have many good teachers by this time with mentors almost every week. In particular, Barry Manilow almost always had a lot of good input and spent a lot of time and effort coaching.

Comparing to the past, I think David Archuleta is similar to Clay Aiken, only Archuleta is younger, with a better voice, and more charisma. People may forget how dorky Clay looked early on and how much he stuck to the known versions of songs, as has almost everyone else, every other season.

David Cook is more original than just about anyone. The only one that compares is last season's Blake Lewis. However, Blake was a one-trick gimmick pony, with the sound effects, not someone with a lot of musicality. Cook is a student of music and has a good voice. Cook's poise and presence is equal to anyone that has ever been on the show. Win or lose, Cook is going to be a big star. Just how big depends on luck, and what songs he gets or writes.

Jason Castro reminds me a bit of Justin who finished second in season one. Justin also had big hair, and modest singing ability, and never did have much of a music career. Jason has more charisma and a sweeter voice.

Syesha is reminding me of Jennifer Hudson and Latoya London. I think Syesha has more presence and is more polished, and will have a fine career, most likely starting on Broadway.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I'm secretly in love with Brooke...i think she is the bees knees....I'd take her just as she is and make her breakfast every morning as long as she'd play me the guitar in the nude. I would take her on midnight seaside rendezvous, and watch the ghostly pale light play through her pale hair and bounce off of her porcelain skin. Her dazzling smiling eyes have had me enraptured from the first audition she had on the show....

a part of my heart and soul will slowly die a pitiful, unrepairable death when she is gone....

I will google her for years to come, hoping for any information about this wonderful fallen angel who has graced my heart and made me squirm sitting next to my beautiful wife....

And I am completely unashamed to admit the same obsession with dear Brooke. She's the type of girl I would have pined over, and been terrified to ask out back in my dorky high school years. Come to think of it, not much has changed ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

fyffer wrote:

And I am completely unashamed to admit the same obsession with dear Brooke. She's the type of girl I would have pined over, and been terrified to ask out back in my dorky high school years. Come to think of it, not much has changed ...
I wouldn't call it an obsession, but I'm really disappointed to see her go. Fortunately my wife feels the same about Jason as I do about Brooke. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

This is a funny, confessional turn of events. :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:This is a funny, confessional turn of events. :lol:
;) The things you find out about on the Chiff.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Denny

Post by Denny »

kinda makes me want to get one of them TV things :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Denny wrote:kinda makes me want to get one of them TV things :lol:
:lol: Nah...we really don't need another one pining away for poor Brooke ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

For the Brooke fans, here is a video of her singing "So Far Away," when she was much younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6mCY8_Ow0
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

BillChin wrote:For the Brooke fans, here is a video of her singing "So Far Away," when she was much younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6mCY8_Ow0
:cry:

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Brooke, Brooke, Brooke...

Maybe we need a Brooke thread for you guys? :P

Y'all could post pictures of her to gaze at adoringly,
find the yertube clips, and compete to see who can pen the most adoring and heartbreakingly beautiful ode to Brooke.
:poke:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My wife and her friend, Barb, got together after work and did each other's hair in our in-house beauty shop. They are both totally blond again - no real competition to Brooke, though. I can understand how men can fall for a pretty blond, like Brooke, but I have a harder time trying to comprehend how women find dreadhead all that appealing.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

A so-so night for Idol. Jason Castro embarrassed himself with two terrible performances. The others did pretty good, with David Archuleta doing the best. Archuleta probably got a lot of the high school girl votes with his tender love song, and Castro self-destructing.

The vote-for-the-worst folks are about the only thing that can save Castro. In all the seasons of Idol, I can't remember anyone ever whiffing so badly on both songs this late in the competition--it was a train wreck.