What are your thoughts, would this be a good buy?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JSCWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle/flute and guitar player from Dallas, now living in a van down by the river with my wife and two cats.

Former member of Texas bands Flashpoint, and The Here & Now.

What are your thoughts, would this be a good buy?

Post by JSCWhistler »

http://dallas.craigslist.org/msg/613514345.html

Nach Meyer flute from mid-1800s, I'm thinking of buying. $300 would definitely be a good bargain compared to what most people would ask for a flute like this. Anybody know much about this maker, or his flutes? Think they would suit Irish music just fine? I would think it would, although the end of it seems to make me wonder. Hopefully, I'll be going sometime maybe this week or the next to meet with him and play it and see what I think, but I figured I may as well ask you all here your thoughts on it.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Those things look real good on the surface... I know all about wanting a wood keyed flute soooooo baaadddd.

So does pretty much every one here. :)

Thing about those old germans.

Its a total crap shoot and the odds are not in your favor. Better to find an actual Meyer. Even those are big heavy beasts that are weak on sound.

I have one like that one you are looking at.

Same case even.

It plays bad. You can have it for 150. ;) :D

I have a few Nach Meyers. One is in tune and the others are fire wood.

That looks in great shape but there is a real high probability the tuning is really wack.

My advice is to save your money.

300 bucks is a lot to spend on something unplayable.

There are plenty of good flutes being sold here and with Doc Jones.

Ask Jemtheflute what he has. He might have a good keyed french.

Honestly though... if you want to play ITM buy flute that will work for that.

Nach Meyers aren't really where you should be looking.

Keyless from modern makers is a great way to go.

Hope that helps some.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
JSCWhistler
Tell us something.: Whistle/flute and guitar player from Dallas, now living in a van down by the river with my wife and two cats.

Post by JSCWhistler »

Well that's a shame... :( He had said a "professional flutist" came by and tried it and loved it, but, then again, she probably plays classical music, and they're not looking for a reedy sound. Knowing how stubborn I am, I'll probably still go meet with him and play it, or attempt to get a sound out of it, just in case it might be worth it. It couldn't hurt to try, I think.
JSCWhistler

Post by JSCWhistler »

At least be better than this "Advanced Irish Flute" I saw on there earlier... I always love seeing those things on there, because I always know they're crap, as, I personally think, there's no such thing as an "Advanced" instrument. If nothing else, I could at least use it in a picture I've been wanting to get of uses for crappy flutes, bodhrans and pipes.... :lol:
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Yeah... I know.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

My bubble wasn't burst and I payed good hard cash for the experience.

I am stubborn too you see. :D

Go check it out. It won't hurt and you'll get a chance to play one.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that there is 99.9999999% chance that one will NOT be good for ITM. They were barely good for classical/modern music for a number of reasons. Really poor internal tuning being the biggest issue. They just don't play right. You can't get around it.

"Professional flutist"? yeah.... ;) :D
Aanvil

I am not an expert
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Can you go try it? And do you have a portable tuner (or perfect pitch)? It's likely wonky in tuning, high or low pitch, etc. (like Aanvil pointed out), but I've heard enough very good players playing on old German flutes that I wouldn't totally count it out.

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I second (third?) Aanvil and Jayhawk on this. "Nach Meyer" means "after Meyer" - genuine Meyers were (by all accounts, I haven't met one yet) pretty good, hance a desire to borrow their reputation. It also means the maker wasn't (usually) putting their own name on it! Anyway, some (more than is sometimes suggested) of these late C19th/early C20th German made flutes are quite decent and others are awful - the only way to avoid wasting money is to go try it out, and you have that opportunity, so why not. Go armed with a tuner and a tape measure. Look at Terry McGee's charts on sounding lengths and have a copy to hand - then, even if the flute isn't sounding properly due to leaks, you can form some idea of whether it is likely to be playable at modern pitch by measuring it (sounding length and C#-Eb length). Quite a lot of these German flutes had bodies built for Low Pitch (c A=430) and they just had shorter heads put on them for High Pitch markets, hence some of the tuning difficulties (flat low end, sharp in upper L hand, especially in 2nd 8ve), though even ones built at A=440 or higher may be badly made and have tuning problems (beyond those inherent in a Simple system keyed flute). Remember if you test it across the scale that you should judge the tuning by the correct Classical vented fingerings where appropriate (e.g. Eb, F# open C#etc.).
Best of luck. If (big if) it is a good one and in overhauled playing condition, I'd say U$300/£150 is a pretty good price for it, but if it needs fixing/overhauling, pay less if you think it may be worth having to fix up, or leave it, as you should do in any case if it is obviously a dud playing wise, regardless of how pretty and well done up it is!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

JSCWhistler wrote:Well that's a shame... :( He had said a "professional flutist" came by and tried it and loved it, but, then again, she probably plays classical music, and they're not looking for a reedy sound. Knowing how stubborn I am, I'll probably still go meet with him and play it, or attempt to get a sound out of it, just in case it might be worth it. It couldn't hurt to try, I think.
Assuming a 'professional flutist' actually did play it, this would be a good testimonial - the real problem with German flutes, nach Meyer or anonymous - is that some have abysmal tuning. Others don't; if you or someone you trust says it's in tune, then you've solved well over half the problem found with German flutes. As for the reedy sound, all antiques were made for classical music - you can get a good "Irish" sound with a decent embouchure, as the sound comes largely from the player.
In short, I think you should give it a try. My first wooden flute was an anonymous German that isn't too bad - certainly worth $300 - and for sentimental reasons, and a low-resale probability, I still have it about, and play it occasionally.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

I sold my German flute and bought an Olwell many years ago. Everyone in sessions kept telling me to get a real Irish flute.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Please listen to Aanvil. Save yourself a lot of heartache and some cash. Plenty of good playing modern flutes available at little more than is wanted for this potential firewood. :wink:
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Well, I got one of these for almost nothing and had it repadded- not because I plan to play with anyone else but so I will have something to practice on while I'm saving for a keyed simple-system flute. As others have said, the sound isn't as full as one might like but the keys work and it was cheap. I began as a Boehm flute player and learning to use this type of keyed system is like learning another instrument. When I need to play with others, I have other flutes.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

The only problem with an out and out rejection or endorsement of such a flute is that these flutes can vary greatly; the risk is getting a German flute that's particularly bad, or in need of (expensive) repair, making it not worth the money. But a large portion of these flutes are interesting and playable, and it's a shame to paint such affordable, keyed flutes with such a wide brush.

If such a flute is within the range of acceptable tuning and has a playable embouchure, it can be a really good introduction to conical wooden flutes, at a low price. In spite of its small holes, mine was/is loud enough to play sessions, and - with its slightly funky tuning (although no worse than some English antiques I've played) - it taught me how to adjust my embouchure and play in tune. These are the very flutes many ITM "old geezer" players used, when better flutes were hard to come by. It was my first wooden flute and I am quite grateful that I had it - and not some of the "starter flute" toys often touted on this forum for beginners - to start with.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Good post, Gordon. I support that entirely. The problem for an early stages player is having the ability and knowledge to check one out adequately, even if as in this case there is an opportunity to do so, and assuming it is playable enough for such testing to be meaningful or possible at all.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Well the brush is wide for a reason.

You'll find many more unplayable old Germans than you will playable.

The market was flooded with wrongly made export grade flutes from many different sources... at least that is how I understand it. Think Germany = Pakistan with some flute making enterprises.

Its not just odd tuning its wrong tuning. No way you'll be able to lip these in.

Now, course there ARE playable old germans out there but the odds are poor in finding them.

Toys?

Thats rather harsh.

I'll take a tipple or a dixon 3 piece over them any day.
Aanvil

I am not an expert
groxburgh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by groxburgh »

I've always viewed the old German flutes as a kitset. You get well seasoned wood, plus tuning slide, keys etc. If you're prepared to adjust the tuning you might get a decent keyed flute for not too much money. But they vary a lot as has been mentioned already, and they're not usually that good without a fair bit of work.
Cheers Graeme